The General Public Kpop Lie

• Only in kpop is a fanbase a bad thing. When it's what feeds artists instead of the pathetic change they get from streaming services lile melon for instance. Look up the rates. It ain't pretty.

It has become so in vogue to slander a group for having a dedicated fanbase that is willing to spend money and energy on their faves. When the casual uninterested elusive streamer (aka gp) who listens passively to top 10 playlists is hailed as a superior music consumer.

The narrative is also being weaponized against artists with big fandoms . The reason is obviously jealousy cuz in the real world, brand loyalty is any artist's dream (including ur faves).

The stigma associated with fandom for some portion of kpop stans make them go through hoops to justify some so called gp darlings ( ggs and iu) consistent streams.

News flash, when ur faves get 200k unique listeners plus in each comeback EVERY SINGLE TIME , those listens are in huge part fandom driven.

Something could start as a viral gp song but if that becomes a pattern for all latter songs of said artists . it stops becoming gp.

So yeah contrary to the kpop bubble of delusions, fandom>>>>gp for ur faves .

A healthy dose of both is always ideal cuz of the potential of turning more people to fans.

Anyway, that was my little sunday rant.

50d21c48405a86901c05a560924de17f.jpg

• Spilling hard cold truth always :pepe-toast:

Some Kpop stans thinking that their groups are driven mainly by gp support are delulu. I mean even trot singers have ahjumma fandom now so you are telling me popular soloists and girl groups will not have a fandom?

Anyway, on the charts the only pure gp driven act now is Brave Girls which as you rightly mentioned in their next successful comeback would have some part of fandom push coming into play.

• Especially when some of their soloist and GG faves are now selling hundreds of thousands to half a million albums. You really telling me they’re being driven purely by the GP? :pepe-tea:

• Spilling hard cold truth always :pepe-toast:

Some Kpop stans thinking that their groups are driven mainly by gp support are delulu. I mean even trot singers have ahjumma fandom now so you are telling me popular soloists and girl groups will not have a fandom?

Anyway, on the charts the only pure gp driven act now is Brave Girls which as you rightly mentioned in their next successful comeback would have some part of fandom push coming into play.

I mean i dont even understand why gp support is celebrated . The money is in touring meaning in fandoms . Unless the goal here is to transition to acting or reality tv in which case and they want for their faves a career unrelated to music

And yeah for brave girls, ff they get a hit song at the same level in the future it's no longer gp lmao

• Artists who rely solely on the GP are the same ones that fizzle out in a couple of years because they aren't able to create a following that would have helped them to last. Fanbases are necessary to keep artists relevant because the GP's attention to them will always be fleeting and inconsistent. That's why so many artists envy people like Taylor Swift and BTS because they have the best of both worlds and their careers have lasted this long BECAUSE of their fanbase, not in spite of it. So those who spew non-sense about GP vs fanbase power are just kidding themselves

• Official Post

The gp is way more fickle than fandom. Why would anyone be so desperate for their support? They will literally drop you tomorrow if something shiny comes along. Fandom is where the money is and that's what they need for career longevity.

I mean let's use Bob Dylan for instance. It's been literal decades since Bob Dylan was popular among the general population. His hardcore fans are the reason he's still touring till this day (minus the pandemic obviously).

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!