Do you think album of the year shouldn't be only about physical sales?

• I had the discussion with some friend here privately. We both had a clear opinion, which I will not mention for the time being. I also refer to no group here and hope that everyone who responds, takes distance from it. At least mention no group negatively.

As an example, with Song of the Year, they don't look only at sales numbers, but also longevity and how popular the song is, which doesn't necessarily mean it's been bought the most.

An album can sell the best by having a large fan base, but that doesn't mean that the individual songs are very popular with the public, but more with the fandom. Some songs could sell well but have no longevity. In this case it would be a fandom-power question.

Basically, my question now is:

Should an Album of the Year be that album that has sold the best

OR

should it be judged by the success of the individual songs like longevity, popularity, charting, sales and and and...?

As a example:

Group A has five songs that were very successful, but the album only sold 500,000 copies.

Group B has one or two songs that were very successful, but the album sold more than 1 million copies.

And again, I'm NOT talking about ANY group. Thanks.

EDIT: THIS IS NOT ABOUT BTS. IT IS A GENEREAL DISCUSSION. WHAT WOULD YOU THINK IS THE FAIREST WAY TO GIVE THIS AWARD AWAY?????!!!!!!!!!!! IT'S NOT ALWAYS ABOUT THE BOYS JUST BECAUSE THEY WON THE LAST TIME. THEN IT COULD BE ABOUT EXO AND SUPER JUNIOR TOO!!!

• There is literally no way you can give anyone the award and expect no disagreement to occur. This is a such a volatile subject.

Quality is subjective. The committee who decides the winner have their own preferences and opinions, It's just not possible to have Objectively, Clear winner.

I can name a couple of albums who deserved ALOTY but didn't get but then again, it's all subjective.

Sales/streams and votes are NOT THE DECISIVE FACTOR. There is no chance in hell a fans of a group will vote for the album they like, I know they won't do it especially if they like the album which is not from their faves.

They might as well follow the sheep mentality and follow the herd and vote for their faves even if they don't like it and this applies to everyone in KPOP.

In KPOP, its all "me me me" "my faves deserve everything", "I will buy it even if they release the music where they are just speaking random words" (This is an exaggeration, used as an example to highlight what my point is, I have to explain it otherwise y'all will overanalyze it and start another argument)

I love Pikachu.

Always have, Always will.

"Pika-Pi"

• There are different award shows. Some base it one sales (MAMA), some base it on streams (MMA), some base it on quality (KMA), some base it on attendance (AAA).

Theres no point in mixing up awards based on commercial success with awards based on quality and critical acclaim. Both can coexist. I do think it would make sense to base the commercial success based awards on SPS points (physicals + digitals).

For the judging part, it would be nice if there was justifications, like KMAs, which explain why an artist or piece of work has been nominated or won.

Currently of course this whole discussion is pointless, since BTS has won and probably will continue to win (out of kpop) based on all criteria, except the purely attendance awards. The only way to prevent BTS from winning is making it jury based and filling the jury with other companies puppets instead of legit critics and experts.

Also, judging an album based on individual songs is dumb. Album should be judged as a coherent whole. A good album is more than the sum of its songs. It should have a theme and structure and something to say.

Edited once, last by myaza ().

• if that would be the case IU will end up winning it every year she releases an album... her bsides are the most known and popular nationally.. But these days BTS have more album tracks doing better internationally...

its complex lol..

My favorite albums of the year never really win anything but that doesnt change anything for me.. Like Purpose by Taeyeon deserved every single album award to exist imo

• I think most award shows now should move away from digitals in Korea since they are catering to a global audience. So they should count for the group performance ww..

For album of the year I think having 50% physical and 50% digital is fair or even 40-60% to give the ggs a chance lol

Your average ggs enthusiast...

• What do you think the judges base it on?

Depending on what the award show specifies as criteria. My friend and I were just discussing what WE would find best.

BTS, for example, has both. Good and very popular songs and incredible sales. So the guys can hardly be taken as an example for this discussion. We just found it interesting to address the question of what if...

For example, if every BTS song had rather moderate chart success but the album sold 4 million copies. You know what I mean?

• I think most award shows now should move away from digitals in Korea since they are catering to a global audience. So they should count for the group performance ww..

For album of the year I think having 50% physical and 50% digital is fair or even 40-60% to give the ggs a chance lol

Combining sales and streams should be done based on monetary value or its equivalent. Similarly to how most charts try to make it and how IFPI does it. Its the only unbiased way of combining them.

Theres absolutely no reason for making some extra rules to advantage girl groups when most of the biggest physcial artists globally are female. Noone is preventing girl groups from selling phyicals.

• Depending on what the award show specifies as criteria. My friend and I were just discussing what WE would find best.

BTS, for example, has both. Good and very popular songs and incredible sales. So the guys can hardly be taken as an example for this discussion. We just found it interesting to address the question of what if...

For example, if every BTS song had rather moderate chart success but the album sold 4 million copies. You know what I mean?

But that’s what happens with Melon. It’s just streams. That’s how BTS won their first daesang even though their physicals fell behind Exo for MMA. There are good criteria out there for all the award shows. I don’t honestly see any problem with them;

there’s an award for only quality(KMA)

An award for majorly physicals and popularity (MAMA)

An award for majorly digitals(MMA)

I find them well balanced.

• yeah I agree. Thanks for your answer :)

• Just as cactus said, the awards aren’t completely physicals. Physicals just form a percentage of the overall score. There’s also something called Judges vote which handles the qualitative part.

And just as myaza said, it won’t make much difference to the overall picture since BTS will just continue to sweep. They dominate all criteria currently

All I did was ask a question lmao

• Theres absolutely no reason for making some extra rules to advantage girl groups

Noone is preventing girl groups from selling phyicals.

I think it's harder for girl groups to get fans to buy your albums. JYP once said boy groups need to get fans and girl groups need to get the public.

But basically I am against making extra rules for women. SNSD also managed to win Album of the Year once. Against boys. Girl groups at that time are just unlucky that BTS sells so much. But other boy groups don't stand a chance either, so should we discriminate BTS to let other groups win?

Just wanted to say that I agree with you, lol.

• For album of the year I think having 50% physical and 50% digital is fair or even 40-60% to give the ggs a chance lol

Ggs still won't win anything aside from bp and Twice. And if it wasn't for bts bp would get all the awards last year. Bts is too much of a force in both physical and digitals.

°⨳°·..·°⨳°⊹٭ 𝓙𝓞𝓨 ٭⊹°⨳°·..·°⨳°

e59e7135c19a6341cc1e93725017b2ba7130662a.gifv 6c1d54386949e369c7a401c21503a4af7b66a053.gifv 87421ed4a49499627715cb8666cc133529df9593.gifv 6c1d54386949e369c7a401c21503a4af7b66a053.gifv b2fee2c558a21bd6472498e040b6dad3a40db33e.gifv

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!