Hate Rodrigo is easily a SOTY contender.

• The controversy was effing idiotic, everyone who understands a lick of English knows she wasnt actually HATING Olivia, she was literally fangirling over Olivia and why shouldnt she? Olivia is literally the greatest pop act of the past two years nobody comes close and one of the top 10 this century most likely.

Not only that, but the song is literally the PINNACLE of pop rock, it's a damn near perfect pop rock song. Yuqi fits in seamlessly as well.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• They should had atleast changed the title from Hate Rodrigo to something else cos its very inappropriate no matter what was yena's intention

True it was cringey to include her name explicitly like that and esp to use her last name lol, at least for our American sensibilities. They coulda executed the video with a little more subtlety.

• And this aint her first SOTY contender. Yena has the greatest solo discography of any idol tbh, only Somi can compete. These are ALL 10 out of 10s, she did it with a pop rocker, retro, and guitar ballad. Everyone talks about her hit Smiley but that's actually her weakest pop rock song.

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

9 out of 10

• I wholeheartedly agree with you! Hate Rodrigo definitely SOTY winner for the dumbest marketing tactics in kpop this year.

50/50 will win AOTY, no one ever doing it like them in kpop. They speedrun 7 years worth of experience for other groups in just 4 months.

Please everyone vote for them harder.

I wonder who will win ALOTY ๐Ÿค”

• wicked love could be too

External Content youtu.be

• Yep, I completely agree that Hate Rodrigo is an amazing song. Yena is crazy talented and didnโ€™t deserve the amount of backlash that was received. Wouldnโ€™t have been a big deal at all 25 years ago, but itโ€™s a different timeโ€ฆ

• You can try and paint the controversy as stupid all you like - naming the song that was a masterclass in stupidity. Particularly as Rodrigo was coming out with her new album around the same time.

That aside, song's fine I guess. As for some of her other stuff (Love War? and Wicked Love), the hard and simple truth is Yena's idol vocals just aren't up to the task to carry those songs - those songs ask for more in the RnB vocal area, and Yena just is not it. She just doesn't have enough to carry what those songs ask for.

She gets given 8/10 songs and makes em 6/10s.

• I wouldn't call it soty but I did enjoy it, and the bsides aswell. And I agree the controversy was overblown

That aside, song's fine I guess. As for some of her other stuff (Love War? and Wicked Love), the hard and simple truth is Yena's idol vocals just aren't up to the task to carry those songs - those songs ask for more in the RnB vocal area, and Yena just is not it. She just doesn't have enough to carry what those songs ask for.

She gets given 8/10 songs and makes em 6/10s.

I see your point but I just want to point out that she does not always just "get given" songs.

She is credited on the composition of Wash Away, Love War and Hate Rodrigo, and the lyrics of most of her tracks

• She is credited on the composition of Wash Away, Love War and Hate Rodrigo, and the lyrics of most of her tracks

I mean, fair enough I stand corrected on that aspect, but, with full apologies to Yena, my main point remains. She obviously wants to not be pigeon-holed in Pop Punk so I understand why she tried the genre, but she may need to look elsewhere.

Participate now!

Donโ€™t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!