Why are there so many Australian K-pop idols now?

• You sound like that one guy who got offended when Alex and Yangyang debuted and than wrote "why the fuck is everyone from Germany now?"

A.C.E | ATEEZ | DRIPPIN| MCND | NU'EST | ONF | SF9 | Stray Kids | TFN

• There are ~2 million Asian Australians mainly East and Southeast Asian.

To your thread title, I think a large reason as to why there are so many Australian idols now is that the Australian entertainment industry is not well developed at all and there are not many chances to "break out" as there are in media markets like China, Japan, Korea, USA, UK, Canada, Germany, etc. If you are a young Asian Australian wanting to become a singer, Korea becomes the obvious choice relatively quickly as they are the only country that recruit foreign idols in any significant number to debut in their domestic entertainment industry. Japan and China do it to an extent but it is extremely limited and usually reserved exclusively for members of the Japanese and Chinese diaspora.

tumblr_orv24i3K1Q1ssnf1qo4_400.gifvtumblr_osguhaDV7t1sk2kqwo2_400.gifvtumblr_orv24i3K1Q1ssnf1qo1_400.gifv

t-αrα | kαrα | wσnhσ | mírαє | dríppín | ívє | crαvítч | thє вσчz | вαє173 | trєndz | ítzч | чσunítє | wєí | nínє.í | shínєє | dkz

• I'm an Aussie and think it's good that we have idols who were either born here or grew up here. It puts us on the map more considering that K pop isn't huge here.

• There are ~2 million Asian Australians mainly East and Southeast Asian.

In 2021 it was 17.5% of whole population. So 4.4M or something like that.

Remember that people who came from India are Asians too :wink:

Btw. I even think now the numbers will grow because situation with covid in China is still messed up.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• In 2021 it was 17.5% of whole population. So 4.4M or something like that.

Remember that people who came from India are Asians too :wink:

Btw. I even think now the numbers will grow because situation with covid in China is still messed up.

I never said that Indians weren't Asians? I think you misread my post. I said that most Asians in Australia are East or Southeast Asian and yeah I way undershot the number estimate there.

tumblr_orv24i3K1Q1ssnf1qo4_400.gifvtumblr_osguhaDV7t1sk2kqwo2_400.gifvtumblr_orv24i3K1Q1ssnf1qo1_400.gifv

t-αrα | kαrα | wσnhσ | mírαє | dríppín | ívє | crαvítч | thє вσчz | вαє173 | trєndz | ítzч | чσunítє | wєí | nínє.í | shínєє | dkz

• isnt australia is like america with so many ethnicities ofc there will be many asians there and possibly ones who pursue idol

I think it's also because unlike the US we are a very multi-cultural society and for the most part people tend to get along regardless of their ethnicity

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!