Do you think its abusive to not take care of your own health?

• So here is the situation

Someone I know has some health problems that would be manageable if they takes care of his diet and life style. Instead they dont make any efforts to take of their own health and just dump the extra emotional and physical help and support they need on their family.

I know everyone has a right to body anatomy, but isnt it abusive when you just let your health go down when it affects people who live with you?

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Hard to know without being familiar with the exact situation but my spontaneous answer is no, it's not abuse.

It's irresponsible and a bit selfish but not abuse.

Its intentionally making people around you go through more emotional distress

That person expects the family to take care of them when the illness fares up

Their partner is very burnt out

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Its intentionally making people around you go through more emotional distress

That person expects the family to take care of them when the illness fares up

Their partner is very burnt out

It's not intentional tho, is it. They didn't ask to have health problems or for them to affect their family. And I'm guessing they didn't change their lifestyle to become unhealthier after it got bad, they just aren't as healthy as they could be.

So yeah I'd say irresponsible and self-centered but not abusive. Still not the ideal way to handle it but no, not abuse.

• Of course, we are all responsible for our own health and should take measures in preventing disease and chronic health issues. It's unfair on a health system that is already struggling to cope due to COVID. I

certainly take control of my health but I'm lucky to be naturally healthy anyway.

• With the dictionary definition, "to treat in a harmful, injurious, or offensive way," I'd say it is. In everyday understanding, it's hard to say.

I will say, I'm sort of in this situation with my dad right now. He didn't listen to doctors or take his medications properly for decades and suddenly dropped all his responsibilities to be waited on hand and foot. I don't have to do a lot, but my mental stress is through the roof. My belief is that his selfish actions now with the expectation that everyone should serve him negates how he purposefully chose to not gamble or drink like other Viets around us in the past...

Technically, the analogy doesn't imply abuse, but in the worst case, both scenarios can end up abusive, so...

• With the dictionary definition, "to treat in a harmful, injurious, or offensive way," I'd say it is. In everyday understanding, it's hard to say.

Technically, the analogy doesn't imply abuse, but in the worst case, both scenarios can end up abusive, so...

I guess my logic is if someone exerts extra emotional and physical responsibility and stress on their care givers, they are being abusive.

• It’s not abusive. It’s not selfish. It’s not irresponsible. It’s a personal choice. Let people take care of their health as much or as little as they want. They deal with the consequences themselves, not other people, and in most cases, it either doesn’t or shouldn’t affect other people. That’s my take. Generally, just stay out of it and let them do their own thing without interfering.

• If that person expects others to take care of them, it's at the very least quite selfish.

The health problems at the root of the issue may not be their fault, but letting it escalate when it's preventable and then expecting others to take care of them certainly is.

It's their body, but if you continue to ruin your health through your own actions, ignoring medical advice, that's on you and others should not be expected to deal with the fallout.

• It’s not abusive. It’s not selfish. It’s not irresponsible. It’s a personal choice. Let people take care of their health as much or as little as they want. They deal with the consequences themselves, not other people, and in most cases, it either doesn’t or shouldn’t affect other people. That’s my take. Generally, just stay out of it and let them do their own thing without interfering.

Regarding the last sentence, that's not possible if that person is your spouse and when you have a kid together.

If your partner ruins their health, you have to work more to makeup for financial loss, you have to do more housework too. Plus you have to also take the caregiver role to them. Their child could also miss out alot bc one parent choose to be unhealthy and the other is stuck to take care of them.

In the particular case I'm talking about, their partner is srsly spiraling into depression.

• Regarding the last sentence, that's not possible if that person is your spouse and when you have a kid together.

If your partner ruins their health, you have to work more to makeup for financial loss, you have to do more housework too. Plus you have to also take the caregiver role to them. Their child could also miss out alot bc one parent choose to be unhealthy and the other is stuck to take care of them.

In the particular case I'm talking about, their partner is srsly spiraling into depression.

I misread the situation then. I assumed it was a person living on their own, with no mental health issues. In light of this new information, I do believe it’s not ideal obviously, but not abusive. The anyone really can do at this point is talk to them about getting therapy, or calmly explain why it’s so important. You can lead a horse to water, but can’t force it to drink, as the saying goes.

• I misread the situation then. I assumed it was a person living on their own, with no mental health issues. In light of this new information, I do believe it’s not ideal obviously, but not abusive. The anyone really can do at this point is talk to them about getting therapy, or calmly explain why it’s so important. You can lead a horse to water, but can’t force it to drink, as the saying goes.

Yeah that's what I suggested to them to go to therapy

Hopefully they will realize the situation is not good and atleast save their kid from it.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!