Cancel culture is a complete and utter joke.

• Cancel culture is a complete and utter joke.

And all you proponents of cancel culture, this is what you have wrought.

Yet K-pop is still feeding into this cesspool. As if death isn't already knocking on their doors, K-pop has to engage with cancel culture to be on some moral high ground and wash their hands of past sins. What a sad joke.

• I'll play devils advocate for a second...

If i dislike someone and i can convince enough people who also dislike someone to then cancel someone else...is that not democracy and public opinion?

• There are more people complaining about cancel culture than people actually cancelling at this point

...says a proud card-carrying member of the Cancel Culture Society.

Have you survey any of these K-pop "news" sites lately-- I don't know, within the last couple of days?

• The next step is to cancel kpop

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Cancel culture doesn’t exist. In most cases people are just shamed but they still go on to having a fruitful career. When it’s something wrong legally that’s when any major changes happens.

Oh, cancel culture doesn't exist because you didn't get the results you wanted on a particular case? Got it. By its very name, cancel culture is not based on a case-by-case basis. Cancel culture is about shame storms and ostracization. There is no content to a shame storm. It is mindless by its very nature. It is indifferent to truth, even in cases where the truth could possibly be determined. Therefore, like the Ring, it cannot be used for good.

The solution, then, is not to try to make shame storms well targeted, but to make it so they happen as infrequently as possible. These K-pop "news" sites should refuse to run stories that have no value except humiliation, and readers should refuse to click on them. It is, after all, the moral equivalent of contributing your rock to a public stoning. We should all develop a robust sense of what is and is not any of our business.

• Oh, cancel culture doesn't exist because you didn't get the results you wanted on a particular case? Got it. By its very name, cancel culture is not based on a case-by-case basis. Cancel culture is about shame storms and ostracization. There is no content to a shame storm. It is mindless by its very nature. It is indifferent to truth, even in cases where the truth could possibly be determined. Therefore, like the Ring, it cannot be used for good.

The solution, then, is not to try to make shame storms well targeted, but to make it so they happen as infrequently as possible. These K-pop "news" sites should refuse to run stories that have no value except humiliation, and readers should refuse to click on them. It is, after all, the moral equivalent of contributing your rock to a public stoning. We should all develop a robust sense of what is and is not any of our business.

What you’re describing is what cancel culture is supposed to be. But as you said it doesn’t happen as I said it’s just people shaming someone. Cancel culture will not work because at the end of the day like I said the only way change will happen is if someone does something illegal. Fans won’t stop supporting problematic people, new sites won’t suppress their voice, companies won’t make changes as long as their making money and the small majority of people who care will be silenced because people will eventually move on. Cancel culture doesn’t work especially for people with power. We just shame people on the internet and hope the shame will stop them from doing it again or get a notepad apology. There’s nothing wrong with shame but in the society that most of us live in there are things more powerful than shame.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!