Diversity in New Jean's video

• I read an article on a site that will not be named that praised the diversity in New Jean's music video for Hype Boy. They mentioned that one of the love interests in the video is black and another is looks to be Hispanic and another may be non-binary.

Have we ever seen diversity like this before? Do you think it will help or hurt them in different markets? Or are we to the point that people won't take notice at all?

• I read an article on a site that will not be named that praised the diversity in New Jean's music video for Hype Boy. They mentioned that one of the love interests in the video is black and another is looks to be Hispanic and another may be non-binary.

i mean if you’ve watched their videos you can see for yourself that among the four love interests, 1 is asian, 1 is hispanic, 1 is black, and 1 looks to be white and non-binary. Don’t need an article to tell me that lol :pepe-cringe:

Have we ever seen diversity like this before? Do you think it will help or hurt them in different markets? Or are we to the point that people won't take notice at all?

Idk being in the background doesn’t really feel like representation.

I’ve always associated that with actually the opposite. Like they aren’t props for us to feel “proud” of this representation.

But that’s just me.

• Disclaimer: I didn't watch the video cuz it's not my type of song.

For me, I want to see diversity in many different aspects. Of course, I would love to see diversity in the idol groups themselves, but I consider it refreshing to see it in the storylines too. Going by the article, these characters weren't just background or props, they were the objects of love interest. As a black person who is very used to not being considered and presented as desirable by major media and who still sees backlash to black characters being paired with other races in relationships, I love to see black characters presented as love interests. Only having POC and other minorities in the background isn't enough of course, but true diversity will be when people can see themselves presented in the foreground, background, and everything in between and it's all considered normal.

• missbehave exposed :hey-bee:

I watched the hurt video and the attention video! I really liked Hurt as a song (though was put off by the video for some reason). I like Attention less, but still thought it was good. Hype Boy wasn't my thing though. Also, I don't think I'm really fond of the concept, visuals, choreo, and overall tone of the group. I think it will be a group that I mainly listen to instead of watch unless they end up being different from what they seem like now.

• But they were actual love interests who contributed majorly to the mv plots and weren't just backup dancers or props. As a black girl I found it nice that someone who looked like me was a love interest and seen as attractive or desired. I feel like it's still useful representation and the mvs had nice messages.

🍭 iite cool🍭

dpr layouts Tumblr posts - Tumbip.com

• but they were not in the background? ofc the main focus was on the group but they were instrumental to the entire plot that ran through the mv. I think you're being too pessimistic. it was new, the message came across to their targeted audience, and hopefully we will see more representation not only in their videos but other artists' as well

• but they were not in the background? ofc the main focus was on the group but they were instrumental to the entire plot that ran through the mv. I think you're being too pessimistic. it was new, the message came across to their targeted audience, and hopefully we will see more representation not only in their videos but other artists' as well

Right? When's the last time we saw love interests in kpop videos that weren't Asian (or occasionally white)? If I saw a black female presented as the crush in a kpop video, I think I would fall over. This feels notable, for me at least.

• it's already helping them in the international market.

LAFBL0s.gif

let us gather around for the lord’s prayer:

Nævis we love you. You are the one who protected me when i was in trouble. MY victory, one SYNK DIVE. I know your sacrifices. Let’s meet surely after the resurrection.

Æmen

:pepe-pray:

• Is it? Has there been buzz?

its hard to measure buzz but yes theres been plenty of hype about it on twitter... if thats an indicator of buzz.

LAFBL0s.gif

let us gather around for the lord’s prayer:

Nævis we love you. You are the one who protected me when i was in trouble. MY victory, one SYNK DIVE. I know your sacrifices. Let’s meet surely after the resurrection.

Æmen

:pepe-pray:

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!