I don't like talking to people

• I'm solo backpacking through Asia and maybe South America in September, and I'm scared I won't be able to make friends or just talk to people while traveling

Any advice?

• I'm solo backpacking through Asia and maybe South America in September, and I'm scared I won't be able to make friends or just talk to people while traveling

Any advice?

I would caution you not to try to do things like drink alcohol to "loosen up" - it's not a good long term plan. I work best with a list of pointers. I do not have the issue of talking to people, but I'd give you this list:

1. Take a breath (just a couple!)
    2. Count down from 5 (5, 4, 3, 2, 1)
    3. Smile and work up to following that with a "Hey"

Start small. The "hey" opens up for either the other party to say something or you to add on. Talk about the weather. Work up to asking what brings them to the trail. if they're local, maybe ask if a lot of travelers come and then for recommendations.

Some people won't want to talk. It's ok. Don't get discouraged. Others who do want to talk will keep the conversation going if you seem friendly. Then just let it go from there. The conversation should develop naturally.

Good luck!!! Sounds awesome. My brother backpacked throughout Asia and he loved the experience, so I'm excited for you!

• Breathing and not thinking too much before talking seems like a good idea, I'll try, thanks :-)

I mean I have no choice tough because it's gonna be a long painful trip if I don't force myself lol

• You're in a foreign place where nobody knows you, just say fuck it and do it scared. Put yourself out there even if you're scared, you'll feel relieved that you've done something despite your initial fears. It's freeing.

I guess you're right, one of the main reason why I'm doing this trip in the first place is to get out of my comfort zone, so yeah fuck it

• bravery is being scared but doing it anyway!

something to keep in mind is that most people are stuck in their own heads and feel very insecure and self conscious about themselves, so they're not actually paying much attention to you or the things you're saying or not saying. they're too busy worrying about themselves. if you treat other people more like side characters in your quest, where it's fun to talk to them and see what kind of wacky stuff they do or say, it gets a lot easier to not take it all so seriously

you'll be okay! just have fun

ɪ

cf2178e469192fe5d3974a86c101545f41e74afb.gifv

• I guess also try learning some of the language

at least basic things like

please

thank you

hello

goodbye

etc etc

those make a big difference I think

• bravery is being scared but doing it anyway!

something to keep in mind is that most people are stuck in their own heads and feel very insecure and self conscious about themselves, so they're not actually paying much attention to you or the things you're saying or not saying. they're too busy worrying about themselves. if you treat other people more like side characters in your quest, where it's fun to talk to them and see what kind of wacky stuff they do or say, it gets a lot easier to not take it all so seriously

you'll be okay! just have fun

Really interesting, life is too short I should stop worrying of what others might think of me. I really love the life is a video game and people are side characters part…thanks

• Yeah apparently local love when you try to talk their language, I’ll try this too.

thank you

• First of all, good luck on your trip! I hope you have a lot of fun on it. As for advice, I know it's scary, but I'd say to do it. Sometimes I get scared to do certain things in public, even though I want to do it, so I get it. Then, I think about it logically: most likely, I won't remember them and they won't remember me even a few minutes later. Even if they do, they likely won't bump into me again. That mindset helps me a lot.

As other people have said, try your best to not stress over it too much, bravely put yourself out there and learning at least a few common phrases of the language will all help you quite a bit as well. Just be yourself. Try and focus on doing what makes you happy, since having fun would be nice.

• First of all, good luck on your trip! I hope you have a lot of fun on it. As for advice, I know it's scary, but I'd say to do it. Sometimes I get scared to do certain things in public, even though I want to do it, so I get it. Then, I think about it logically: most likely, I won't remember them and they won't remember me even a few minutes later. Even if they do, they likely won't bump into me again. That mindset helps me a lot.

As other people have said, try your best to not stress over it too much, bravely put yourself out there and learning at least a few common phrases of the language will all help you quite a bit as well. Just be yourself. Try and focus on doing what makes you happy, since having fun would be nice.

You’re right, people have better thing to do in their life than focusing on some stranger they met in sea lol… And like you said I shouldn’t think about it too much and just try my best to have fun, thank you

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!