Is Interscope dissapointed with BP's performance?

• So this thread kinda comes really late to the shitfest that was that one time when this supposedly insider of interscope with a podcast said that BP's The Album performance was dissapointing, but I had a total need of denying and showing off what BP has been able to done without the massive push Interscope gives their other artists.

During 2020 BP released 3 singles and had a 4th one coming that was ditched, those were HYLT, IC, LSG and the cancelled one was BYW with Cardi, this one was supposed to be sent to radios and had a mv in works looking at Cardi's instagram post around that time, but it wasn't sent due Billie releasing Therefore I Am, a song that ended up underperforming in comparison to HYLT. To this day HYLT has better streams despite receiving 0 radio support and being promoted only once on TV, while TIA was promoted in radios and awards shows. Also both songs are eligible for the same certification, 2x platinum. Obviously both songs peaked very different in charts, HYLT charted at 33 while TIA at 2, but both songs ended up with a similar performance with HYLT ahead.

These were both singles of each album, yet BP's single outdid Billie without the interscope push, so why would Interscope be dissapointed if the girls managed to beat basically the new pop sensation without much promo? even Billie's HTE album isn't far ahead of BP album, the difference is of 700m streams and Billie has 8 extra songs, at the same time IC the song with more push in TA outdid most of HTE singles except for TIA and HTE without the same level of push as those songs and both albums are 1 year old and clearly aren't going to regard any steam unless they go viral.

IC - 426M streams

MF- 326M streams

YP -286m streams

LC -200m streams

NDA -180m streams

MFa -85m streams

Extra

LSG - 326m streams

PS- 233m streams

Also IC was shortrunned in the radio due the same problem with TIA coming.

Do you think Interscope think of it as a dissapointment? they clearly no cause Billie still receiving gigs and clearly is going to receive the same push in her next album. And I bet is the same with BP, because they clearly didn't invest enough promo for TA, only 2 late shows and 1 song sent for the radio, yet they performed close to Billie who had a more massive appeal to the north american gp and much more promo, and this isn't even bringing Dababy to the picture, who performed even worse than both of them with his 2020 album.

• I think it's cause BP is not really their act like they probably get very little from BP

It's cause they only responsible for BP outside of Asia & most of bps streams are from Asia

Their us performance probably wasn't what they imagined(they probably looked at BTS & were like...yeah that would do)

However new music is coming & Jennie/Rosie have been to Interscope HQ multiple times last year working on music so I think they will invest in BP likely upcoming solo eng single

• isnt it obvious? Interscope only earn from BP for management fees while they get bigger cut from Billie's release alongside the album cause Interscope IS her label.

Not first time interscope makes way for Billie. It happened in the past where they postponed / dropped releases from other acts under their label.

• For the byw thing, you're making the wrong comparisons. It's not hylt vs therefore I am but byw (and maybe lsg) vs therefore I am. They probably saw that the song wasn't taking off how they wanted despite all the promo they were giving it. So it makes sense that they switched it up midway to focus on Billie's new single after her massive year. Even now byw is the least liked song on the album while therefore I am is quite big and viral TikTok.

Hylt did do well but I'm thinking they were expecting the other singles to perform much better than it since they expected direct upward growth. IC only beat hylt charting wise, lsg charted and was streamed less than hylt and byw wasn't doing that amazing. So to me it's no surprise they chose Billie; an American, white girl with all the Grammys who is also extremely popular with gen z (+ US gp) and who's actually signed under their label.

Blackpink did amazing but they were probably expecting bts level results.

• I think they wanted a #1 album and a top 10 radio single. The folks in the podcast say that. They were aiming for a BNA nom at the grammys so I guess while the songs and album did well it didn't do what they wanted. Blackpink probably wants to cement themselves in the US pop culture (BNA nom ambition) but there seems to be a kind of novelty to them. What they need is more performances, play concerts or music festivals, appear on shows but anyways this is all a guess from my side.

• If they're disappointed maybe they should just start to do their job? Ice Cream is the only song they sent to radios (impact), gave some playlisting on spotify but still only give some radio itws as big promo, Selena carried the promo on internet.

Another example is "Money", the song was viral etc... but Interscope did nothing to promote it. They sent the song to radio after its peak....

As for that podcast, it's just billboard journalist who think Interscope must be disappointed but doesn't point out how Interscope (and YG) do the bare minimum for BP.

• I think they wanted a #1 album and a top 10 radio single. The folks in the podcast say that. They were aiming for a BNA nom at the grammys so I guess while the songs and album did well it didn't do what they wanted. Blackpink probably wants to cement themselves in the US pop culture (BNA nom ambition) but there seems to be a kind of novelty to them. What they need is more performances, play concerts or music festivals, appear on shows but anyways this is all a guess from my side.

Don’t you think their scanty discography plays a big part in this? I mean if they were releasing music more frequently I think it would have been easier for them to maintain their presence in the industry

I feel like each time BP releases a song, there’s an upward rise that is cut off as soon as they are about to reach a new level of popularity. The emptiness between each of their comebacks really kills their momentum

• Don’t you think their scanty discography plays a big part in this? I mean if they were releasing music more frequently I think it would have been easier for them to maintain their presence in the industry

I feel like each time BP releases a song, there’s an upward rise that is cut off as soon as they are about to reach a new level of popularity. The emptiness between each of their comebacks really kills their momentum

Kind of. I think there are a confluences of factors. I'll try to explain them point wise.

1. They are an asian act so they have it difficult in the US. What they need is a dedicated fandom push. More than what their fans do. Almost to the BTS level.

2. Taking that point I think they are not able to prove a tangible demand. When I say that I mean something more than just high streaming numbers. I mean fans showing up for them whenever they do a gig. Taking BTS as an example because the podcast name drops Fake Love, when they came to US they had people showing up for them. They shocked everyone. Nobody cared about the social artist award but they made it a thing.

3. Another thing is their lack of live performances. They don't perform or show up at award shows or late night shows or music festivals as performers so they can't show that people will turn up for them. They don't gain new fans that are performance oriented.

4. They would need to be more present in front of different audiences. They do not get a SNL performance because they probably get treated like a novelty. They need to do more interviews.

5. There is a reason they have made a name in the fashion industry. It's because they show up to various events.

Exclusivity works but to a certain level. It's why you see them reach a high but fizzle out.

Also I think their label is weird. They have had 4 big fumbles:

1. Not releasing music after Coachella hype.

2. Not capitalizing off the Lady Gaga collab (should have pushed it more)

3. Not promoting (doing late night circuits, interviews, performances) after The Album roll out and

4. Being late with pushing Money after it went viral.

They have always focused on virality instead of trying to cement themselves in the pop culture "conscience" more. You do that not by high streaming numbers. I have so many artists I listen to that I don't even know anything about because I am just listening to something casually for enjoyment. You do that by showing up and your fans showing up for you.

• Other users pointed out great reasons behind this. From my observations, these reasons resulted to Blackpink not having a huge presence in the US market beyond being a top kpop girl group.

YG needs to give them more songs and BP needs to show up to US music shows/events and do more US interviews focusing on their music and their ambitions as artists to cement their status there.

At the end of day, it still depends on what BP wants and we shall see when they resigned with YG. If they are as into music & performing or more interested in fashion gigs/influencer type. Who knows.

• Also I think their label is weird. They have had 4 big fumbles:

1. Not releasing music after Coachella hype.

2. Not capitalizing off the Lady Gaga collab (should have pushed it more)

3. Not promoting (doing late night circuits, interviews, performances) after The Album roll out and

4. Being late with pushing Money after it went viral.

Because in Kpop, US labels act more like distributor than an actual label. They will only invest or promote you if an act can guarantee a big return and it still depends on the deal between kpop companies and US labels.

For example, Columbia Records only did more for BTS with their English songs and when BH gave them a green light to have some control in their english releases. CR actually sent Dynamite and Butter to radio because they contributed to the songs. Also, BTS was their top artists in terms of revenue, so that's also the reason why they invested in them.

I think Blackpink needs to prove to UMG that they can give them big returns to give them full promo and with YG's approval. As you can see, Billie is still one of their top artists here in 2020 (during Blackpink's active year), so ofc they would out more effort in her besides that Billie is more popular than BP.

IMG_20220702_171500.jpg

• I agree with points 1 & 2 that Asian acts being in a xenophobic industry, they need a bigger push by their fans to get to the next level. That’s very true but I think blinks show up for BP though. I haven’t really seen the girls not being treated well at all the carpet shows they have attended without their fans cheering for them in the background . I mean the turnout won’t be as big as armys but blinks definitely show up for their girls

For your 3rd point I don’t think BP is actually ignoring award shows. Maybe they aren’t being invited and that’s why they aren’t coming because I doubt they won’t turn up to a BBMA if they get the opportunity to have a stage and everything. So I don’t think that point is very dependent on BP activity

For point number 4, BP and even BTS included mostly pop up on late night shows and interviews when they have music to promote. And BP barely release anything that’s why it feels like they aren’t doing much interviews.

Point number 5 will also depend on the audience. Exclusivity has worked for some acts in the past so it’s not a bad strategy. But I kinda understand you in the sense that an artiste trying to sell themselves out there, exclusivity will kill you. If BP becomes a well established act in the west then they can continue with that strategy but for now they need to put themselves out there. YG needs to change things up.

Lady Gaga’s collab with BP was for her own song on her album so if any promotion was supposed to happen, it depends on her label, not YG or BP.

I do admit they capitalized on Money late. The song was only pushed on radio after the hype has died.

• Everything you say is true and each and every point just does them disfavor imo.

I don't really remember them doing any high profile music event where they were the talk of the town. I think the Variety group of the year award was a thing but I don't know if they attended or not. I don't see many interviews from and not many performances too.

Award shows not inviting them is probably true. Doubt any artist would pass the chance but it's likely that award shows don't want multiple korean acts on their stage.

I think exclusivity works for artists who are already established. People like Beyoncé for example. But these artists had to grind their way before they reached that level.

• US labels are fast to shaft artists too. Perhaps BYW's results on US radio made them skeptical during Money but by the time they realized it was over.

• US labels are fast to shaft artists too. Perhaps BYW's results on US radio made them skeptical during Money but by the time they realized it was over.

No. It's not enough for them. Look at Olivia Rodrigo, UMG only gave her full promo when DL is this huge thing and literally breaking streaming records left & right with the song being the talk of the town.

Money did very well on Tiktok, but it wasn't as viral on streaming platforms. I think it only peaked at 4M streams while DL's peak is like 12M or 15M (i think).

This is the problem with TikTok songs nowadays. So many songs popping up but it doesn't really show on Spotify or streaming platforms, so labels are still a bit hesitant to give a promo to these artists. Some kpop songs also went viral on tiktok like Darari, but the result is not the same outside of it.

• From what I heard, Interescope only focus on one artist for a time, BP isn’t their main act Billie is so it’s normal to them to invest on billie.

I saw Gaga, Selena fans complaining about the label many times

Yes. Interscope is another YG

They literally clear the way out for the main artist they push for. In this case it was Billie but somehow she didnt do as expected

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!