How are girl crush song's popular in a growingly misogynistic country like South Korea?

• What I'm failling to understand is why you think girlcrush is feminist or empowering to a point that a sexist country would reject

Girlcrush is just a style, aesthetic style for clothes, music video and performances, it's like a costume, you can be girlcrush now and in 6 months comeback with a cute concept.

• What I'm failling to understand is why you think girlcrush is feminist or empowering to a point that a sexist country would reject

Girlcrush is just a style, aesthetic style for clothes, music video and performances, it's like a costume, you can be girlcrush now and in 6 months comeback with a cute concept.

Is the term girl crush the problem here.... is nobody reading the op??? That's not the point.

When idols have been scandalized for saying feminist numbers and words to the point where one of the idols involved published an apology, but songs that conflict with their ideology get a free pass. User's have already given great answers so yeah my question is answered too.

And of course they can change concept's, who said they can't. I doubt any girl group has done any one concept for all comebacks until they disbanded.

Desbundar

• Girl crush has nothing to do with misogyny or female empowerment its just a visual/musical concept. You are fighting invisible enemies

An intellectual

Feminism is growing in Korea despite what kpopies might think

If you’d access discussion forums OUTSIDE kpop (which by the way has nothing to do with real Korean societal issues) there is a monumental things happening at universities, communities, labor markets and what not

Someday even this forum might understand that the filter of badly translated stuff revolving kpop has 1% to do with the real Korean society

。・:*˚:✧。  :borahae::borahae: 。・:*˚:✧。⋆.ೃ࿔*:・

✧ ೃ༄*ੈ✩

• An intellectual

Feminism is growing in Korea despite what kpopies might think

If you’d access discussion forums OUTSIDE kpop (which by the way has nothing to do with real Korean societal issues) there is a monumental things happening at universities, communities, labor markets and what not

Someday even this forum might understand that the filter of badly translated stuff revolving kpop has 1% to do with the real Korean society

There's definitely a kinder way to phrase that but alright.

That's interesting. How popular is feminism amongst the general public in South Korea?

Edit- Demonowl I'm not trying to shade you, you are right because this is an international kpop site not a South Korean one. We all can only draw conclusion's based on the news we read which is inevitably biased. So if you have any alternative source's that give a better view of the situation, you can feel free post it. I'm sure a lot of people will be glad to know that thing's aren't as bad as they seem. This is more relevant to the topic than going around in circles about what girl crush does or doesn't mean.

• Let’s set aside if Korea is misogynistic or not cuz that’s a separate discussion….

Even otherwise Girl crush has nothing to do with anti misogyny or being woman empowering tho? It’s a type of sound.

Why will it offend the misogynists?

I guess kpop fans really have convinced themselves girl crush = empowering lol.

• Not this again

External Content youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Desbundar

• Is the term girl crush the problem here.... is nobody reading the op??? That's not the point.

When idols have been scandalized for saying feminist numbers and words to the point where one of the idols involved published an apology, but songs that conflict with their ideology get a free pass. User's have already given great answers so yeah my question is answered too.

And of course they can change concept's, who said they can't. I doubt any girl group has done any one concept for all comebacks until they disbanded.

What songs have “conflicted” their ideology I can’t really think of any girl crush songs that been making waves for being “feminist” lol.

Love songs or revenge songs etc that blackpink release for example have nothing to do with feminism or woman empowerment nor would they ever ruffle any feathers. It’s as harmless as it can get. Aespa are singing about navis again nothing overly feminist.

I’m just trying to find the lyrics you think will ruffle feathers because it clearly looks like companies know what they’re doing in avoiding actually talking about woman empowerment.

• What songs have “conflicted” their ideology I can’t really think of any girl crush songs that been making waves for being “feminist” lol.

Love songs or revenge songs etc that blackpink release for example have nothing to do with feminism or woman empowerment nor would they ever ruffle any feathers. It’s as harmless as it can get. Aespa are singing about navis again nothing overly feminist.

I’m just trying to find the lyrics you think will ruffle feathers because it clearly looks like companies know what they’re doing in avoiding actually talking about woman empowerment.

Already discussed.

Not talking about love and revenge songs or blackpink. Or Naevis.

Already mentioned the lyrics too. Yep I do think companies tip toe around the topic like user's mentioned. It isn't very in your face.

Desbundar

• No it’s not. It’s not about the term you used. GGs are not releasing empowering songs. They are not going against the tide.

This is probably my fifth or sixth reply to you and again, that's not what I'm trying to say. If you want to have an elaborate discussion on a clearly subjective stance, that you assume I hold then you can, I'll make another thread where I'm pretty sure we will continue to talk in circles like we are in this one.

Desbundar

• That’s exactly what you are talking about.

No song GGs released “girl crush” or any other type will cause any misogynist to drop them. What’s not clicking. They’re all just basic pop songs.

The companies know this and they know how to work the Korean GP.

I think I would know what I'm talking about better than you do buddy, what you think I'm talking about is not my problem. Let's call it a day, we are clearly going nowhere.

Desbundar

• a bit of everything but generally people don't link very much their ideologies and the music, especially when their country/situation is stable (like SK for the most part). There is also part of the female fanbase of gg growing naturally because : gg releases better song (hot take) and more gp friendly. Blackpink influence too, they are so big and people are getting used a lot more to this style of music.

Oh and SK isn't growingly misogynistic, it's just that the loud incels are getting more coverage rn. If anything it's better than before with women getting more and more high post in society.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!