Posts by DaWeebLord

Okay, the first season of the anime ended on Jun 28, but the Idol challenge is still a thing and the song is still on the rise in South Korea, climbing the Korean Single charts week over week since CW17. As an admirer for Japanese (pop) music, I am very humbled by all the videos, members of K-pop groups have created. Nowadays, even some of the most-known k-pop idol groups participated in the challenge which make me hope that the song finally make an impact in any Western charts (Global 200 and Global excl. US do not count, as these charts do not reflect the success of an song in any specific country).

TWICE、TOMORROW X TOGETHER、ENHYPEN……K-POP「アイドル」踊ってみた投稿が人気 韓国チャート成績に波及

TOMORROW X TOGETHER collaborated with Yoasobi vocalitst Ikura in 2021 where she was guest vocalist in the Japanese version of the song 0X1=Lovesong (I Know I Love You)⁠.

TOMORROW X TOGETHER、YOASOBI幾田りら参加「0X1=LOVESONG」日本語版グループティザー公開

Idol has indeed peaked at no. 2 on the official Oricon charts, selling 49.000+ physical copies within the first week after release.

Additionally, it has bounced back to no. 1 on the Billboard Global excl. US and peaked at no. 7 on the Billboard Global 200 which is the highest rank a Japanese artist was able to achieve on this ranking.

In South Korea, "Idol" is still on the rise climbing 88-82 on the Digital Charts by Circle Chart (former GAON Chart).

In Singapore, "Idol" will most-likely leave RIAS Top 30 Charts next week.

Still, the song has not made any impact on any international charts outside Asia. It neither ranked anywhere in Billboard Top 100 nor in any European Single charts.

I'm sorry...... But I have never heard about this song, but it is probably because I don't listen to J-pop. Does this song contain English words, or is it all Japanese?

The original is completely in Japanese, but an English version was released on May 26, 2023. The song hits harder if you have seen first episode of the anime it serves as opening track for. Anime name is "Oshi no Ko".

So, chart update in Japan.
    It seems that "Idol" will peak at no. 2 on official Oricon Singles Chart as the idol duo King & Prince will be outselling Yoasobi.

According to Oricon Daily Singles ranking King & Prince sold slightly more than half a million physical copies of their new single while "Idol" has been sold about 40.000 CDs in the first two days alone. That's Johnny and Associates for you.

International chart update

The new peak position in the official Korean Single Chart (Digital Chart) by Circle Chart is now 88. Last week the song peaked on 93.
    The song holds no. 1 at Billboard Japan Hot 100 for ten weeks straight which is a new record for being at no. 1 without even dropping once. The previous record was held by Official Hige Dandism who managed to peak at no. 1 on the charts for eight consecutive weeks.

"Idol" is still in the official Singapore Single Charts ranking at 27 now. It may drop out of the charts next week.
    The song also ranks at Vietnam Hot 100 (currently at 87, peak 27), Hong Kong Songs (currently at 4, peak 2), Taiwan Songs (currently 2, for nine weeks consecutive), Singapore Songs (currently at 22, peak 13), South Korea Songs (currently 9, peak 6) and ranked at Malaysia Songs (peak 19, dropped out after two weeks) as part of Hits Of The World by Billboard magazine.

"Idol" currently peaks at no. 8 at Billboard Global 200 and currently ranks at no. 2 at Billboard Global excl. US while it fails to make any impact on the official Billboard Hot 100 once again. "Idol" did not rank in any major Single Charts in Europe as well.

"Idol" by Yoasobi (heavy rotation for almost three days straight), sometimes on mute. I want to see this song in overseas charts outside of Asia (position does not matter).
    But, I really like to listen to Minami, Chiai Fujikawa or Inori Minase as well. Maybe, I will have a listen to Atarashii Gakko as well.

Twice's English releases have both charted on the domestic Billboard Hot 100, the only Billboard song chart that actually matters, seeing as how Billboard is an American music chart. Strange, I don't see this Jpop act anywhere on said chart. :pepe-shrug:

And while we're on the topic of Jpop...

https://www.oricon.co.jp/music/rankinglab/js/2023-06-12/

Hm. At the moment "Idol" is not eligible to chart in the Oricon singles charts (maybe because a physical release will be on June 21, 2023, so in about two weeks we will know which rank the song will receive).
    As of June 14, 2023 "Idol" ranks or previously ranked at
    #1 Billboard Japan Hot 100 (nine weeks consecutive and the longest stay at BB Japan Hot 100 overall)
    #3 Oricon Combined Singles

#1 Oricon Digital Singles

#1 Oricon Streaming Songs

#1 Billboard Japan Hot Animation

#10 Billboard Global 200

#2 Billboard Global excl. US

#25 in official charts of Singapore (peak pos 10)
    #93 in official charts of South Korea (in the charts for eight weeks now)

#52 in Billboard Vietnam Hot 100 (peak pos 27)
    #2 in Billbard Taiwan and Hong Kong songs

#10 in Billboard Malaysia songs (charted for two weeks)

The song is breaking records on the domestic market:
    - Fastest song to receive more than 100m and 200m streams in history of Oricon (after 5 and 9 weeks after release)

- longest stay at #1 on the Billboard Japan Hot 100 (nine consecutive weeks)

- the MV broke 100m views after 35 days after its release (the fastest video from a Japanese artist to do so)

- Eight consecutive weeks with 20m+ streams

But, I have to admit that the song despite it's enormous success on the domestic market is rather unsuccessful overseas. The #1 at Billboard Global excl. US is rather meaningless as the biggest market (USA) is not represented in this ranking. "Idol" benefits mainly of the domestic hype around the anime series it serves as an opening track. On an international view, "Idol" only managed to chart in some Asian countries like South Korea, Indonesia or Vietnam on some smaller countries like Taiwan or Hong Kong while it neither managed to chart in the official Billboard Hot 100 in the US nor in any chart in Europe which is kinda sad because the song has potential to become a big hit. I would be glad if "Idol" would manage to chart anywhere in the Billboard Hot 100. According to Kworb which is not really reliable as the methodology is completely intransparent, "Idol" manages to rank outside Asia just on the YouTube charts while on other streaming platforms the song does not, unfortunately.
    With this said, I am not saying "Idol" is a bad song, it is clearly the opposite. It did not get the international it deserved. As, I wrote above, I would call the song a success even if it would rank at #100 in the Billboard Hot 100 just for one week or in any official single charts outside Asian territories.