Posts by Lost-Guardian

I think f(x) have the top 3 "2nd gen" discographies alongside T-ara & Kara while Red Velvet would be top 2 alongside Dreamcatcher.

I haven't listened to enough of "4th gen" tbt but from what I have listened to, I would say Billlie. Not as firm because none of these groups have big enough discographies to have any concrete opinions on their music just yet. StayC & Le Sserafim are also good I would say....

You have to at least acknowledge that the gap between NewJeans and the entire field, not just other idol groups, on Circle Digital is simply unheard of.

Not really tbt.... The difference between NewJeans and I've this year is around 1.2b points which is pretty common every year between #1 & #2. Actually the only year in which there was less than 1b points gap between #1 & #2 was in 2022 when LYW got 3.9b and IU got around 3b. BTS were #3 with 2.2b points. Otherwise every single year the gap has always been much more than 1b points....

BTS in 2020 got 6b+ digital points. IU was #2 with something around 3.5b points I guess. So the gap was like 2.5b points between the two.

IU in 2021 got 6b+ digital points. BTS were #2 with around 4b+ points. Again gap of around 2b between #1 & #2. But the thing is no other artist other than these two touched even 2b mark in 2021.

BTS in 2018 got 5.1b digital points and no one else even got 3b points in that same year if I'm not wrong. BTS was #1 in 2019 as well with around 4.5b points and I think Paul Kim had something around 3b points in 2019. 2019 was much more competitive years than any other with so many artists doing well.

The point is this is nothing new when the entire field is concerned. It is something to be proud of within the girl group constraints. Because no girl group has done it before. But it is nothing out of ordinary for those who keep track of everyone, not just girl groups....

'Dynamite' is BTS biggest English song.

BWL is BTS biggest Korean hit. Is it bigger than 'Dynamite'? No. But when it was released, it was BTS biggest song then so it is on par with 'Dynamite' in that sense lol....

It is difficult to say which is BTS biggest Japanese hit. I personally think it's 'Lights' but 'Film Out' & 'Don't Leave Me' are not far behind. But are any of them bigger than 'Dynamite'? No.

But why are you asking this though?

i know it probably won’t happen till they are in their 50s or dead, but a BTS biopic needs to be made asap.

Honestly all kpop groups should have behind the scenes tell all books/movies.

BTS have already released a biography 'Beyond The Star : The 10 year record of BTS' written by Kang Myeongseok and BTS members themselves last year itself on their 10th anniversary. 7 chapters, 23 languages, 544 pages.

BTS have also released docuseries 'BTS Monuments : Beyond The Star' on Disney+. It is about their journey from debut to now in 8 episodes.

Honestly the number of times BTS get mentioned or BTS songs get played or BTS choreo gets performed in kdramas is just insane. I have not gone through one kdrama since last year that has not had atleast one BTS reference. And the thing is most of the times BTS is the only artist mentioned or referenced in these kdramas.

BTS are the biggest cultural phenomenon in South Korea....

BTS - as a group idols, could argue maybe the solos could be viewed as artist but not the group, nah.

External Content m.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

That first verse is for you....

It's useless to compare Hype Boy to Dynamite, but as people seem so interested in it anyway, I thought why not just make a quick graph for their digital points.

pasted-from-clipboard.png

Like you said it is useless to compare these two since the difference has always been huge between other kpop group's hits and BTS hits....

More appropriate to compare 'Hypeboy' with 'Love Dive' since those two look like the biggest girl group hits of this decade. I think 'Hypeboy' would be ahead in comparison but 'Love Dive' also won SOTYs. I mean it's more logical comparison than this one.

:skull: another level wtf

BTS hits have always been on another level than other kpop groups hits. Literally no other kpop group song has touched 1.5b digital points so far but BTS have 3 songs with more than 2b+ digital points. There's levels between BTS and other kpop groups be it in Korea or internationally....

I think hype boy could do it. Still top30 on almost all charts. Very stable. Also lets not forget how strong armys are at keeping songs on charts. Butter is also surviving still somehow at the bottom

I know it is difficult concept to grasp for girl group fans but it is common for Koreans to listen to songs released years after. Just because girl groups can't seem to be able to do it doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

'For Lovers Who Hesitate' by Jannabi released in 2019 is #44 in this week's chart. EDEM by Paul Kim released in 2018 is at 56.

The truth is most kpop groups especially girl groups make trendy music that's why people stop listening to them after few months. Main reason why girl group songs have historically had bad longevity. They have started showing good longevity only after Melon Top 100 change happened and Melon started losing userbase (when even LYW also started showing good longevity lol). But the thing is it has been happening since forever. I mean 'Cherry Blossom Ending' by Busker Busker released in 2012 was charting even in 2017.

So is hype boy. It's already beat dyno record of longest top 10. It's extremely stable. Just because it's younger doesn't mean it can't beat dynamite or do as well. And if it doesn't end up bigger I'll stop calling it biggest :joy: :)

If it exists faster than dyno then it didn't beat it but the potential is there :joy: :)

So numbers and records matter to you but 'Hypeboy' not breaking any other record of 'Dynamite' up-to this point bar one makes it bigger? Make it make sense lol....

Last word from me.... The difference between 'Hypeboy' and 'Dynamite' is 'Hypeboy' is just another one of the national hits by a girl group. It might get to the point when it will be mentioned alongside other girl group national hits like 'Cheer Up', 'Gee', 'Tell Me', etc. But 'Dynamite' is one of the biggest songs of all time. It's in the league with the likes of 'Good Day', 'Gangnam Style', 'Cherry Blossom Ending', etc. They are not in the same tier....

In korea its hype boy easily currently. Insane longevity.

'Dynamite' has surpassed 2b digital points. No other song released this decade has touched even 1.5b yet. That's how big of a difference there is between 'Dynamite' and other songs. Other songs might get to 1.5b but very unlikely that any of these songs will get to 2b ever from here onwards....

'Dynamite' also surpassed 6m Melon ULs. No other songs released after it has even touched 5m yet (Idk if 'Celebrity' got there or not, last time I checked it was at 4.9m). 'Hypeboy' is at 4.4m if I'm not wrong. It might touch 5m someday but impossible for it to touch 6m ever.

Not to mention the fact that 'Dynamite' won almost all the SOTYs after being released that late into the year. Tell me any other song ever which would have done that. Maybe 'Gangnam Style' but that's it. But that tells you how huge 'Dynamite's peak was. 'Hypeboy' was released before in the subsequent year but was not even in the SOTY conversations.

Talking about longevity, 'Dynamite' literally topped the Gallup poll in the year 'Hypeboy' was released lol.... It was in the top 10 last year too. No other song has been in the top 10 for 3 consecutive years let alone 4.

Its not just about the numbers. 'Dynamite' is a national hit in every sense. 'Hypeboy' might become biggest of the rest but to say it is bigger than 'Dynamite' is straight up stupid....

Right, that was it. And basically any new/small artist that performed somewhat decent after that got accusations thrown about.

I still don't get why anyone would question a song that got 2*Platinum certifications for downloads. Literally no kpop group other than BTS has it. It's not like it only got streaming certifications. But yeah his bullying was actually severe....

Kpop group's fans especially girl group fans were getting frustrated with everyone doing better than them and breaking all sorts of records in 2019 hence started making up stuff. 24Hits chart actually became a good excuse for them not doing so well.

there was one song in particlular but i cant remember the name of it or the artist atm

Shaun 'Way Back Home'?

As far as i remember the main reason for the change was mulitple sajaegi accusations (there was one song in particlular but i cant remember the name of it or the artist atm) and articles about how one could buy streams to chart high on melon. They did have a slump in listeners in the first half of 2020, but that was also coming off the peaks in 2018/2019.

As you said it picked up in may, june, but then basically started to plummet agaian as soon as the 24h chart was implemented. Obviously that didnt go as melon planned because they replaced the 24h chart with the top 100 hybrid chart within a year.

The main reason for slump in listeners was covid. But I think Melon or any other platform should have expected that with shops and malls closing down hence not using their services for the time. As it showed with YT Music and Spotify, things got better towards the end of 2020 for music services. Big global services capitalized on that while smaller services didn't show enough patience....

I just remembered Yoo Jaesuk's first project group SSAK3 also did exceptionally well around that time so it wasn't all that bad for Melon even with Covid in the first half of 2020. But after the change it only went down....

And i once thought the 24h chart was a good change. Damn i miss the old pre 2020 realtime charts.

I have been saying that there was actually no need for the change since when it happened.

2019 was actually the biggest year for Melon ever looking at the number of songs that got more than 1m+ ULs in the first 24 hrs and the number of artists who had their best year.

Even the start of 2020 was huge with Zico's 'Any Song' going viral, Hospital Playlist OST 'Aloha' & 'Eight' breaking records and MOTS7 charting all those songs in the top 100. A lot of those songs were bigger than most "national hits" we have had since then but still none of those songs hogged the top 10 to the point it got boring. I don't know what was the logic behind the change when Melon was experiencing one of their biggest year ever even in 2020 up-to that point. I mean Blackpink HYLT had just been released and was breaking some records while Twice's worst performing main single also got like 700k ULs. Since then I don't think there have been as many songs as the number of fingers on one hand have got more ULs than that....