Posts by oldschool29

Supposed to be the sister of Red Velvet's Wendy, or is there another Wendy? She doesn't look like RV Wendy at all, also looks tall.

Edit: If you google search RV Wendy's sister she looks completely different than this. It can't be her unless she's had a truly amazing amount of plastic surgery.

SM for sure, they just had so many big groups debut one after the other in 2nd gen and the company really pushed fan service interactions between those groups so that fans of one would become fans of the others. JYP had kind of a lull before Twice, I think most of those fans were new fans, not old WG fans who gave Twice a chance out of a sense of loyalty. Same with YG, blackpink debuted years after their most successful senior groups and were not promoted with them at all, those fans are mainly new fans. HYBE is just too new of a company in general, but there might be a lot of company stans moving forward who started with BTS.

Hmm, I think this might just be how perceptions change when a group becomes established. When a group debuts, no one has any expectations for them, so they're pleasantly surprised by anything they do. Random people in the general public want to check them out, talk about their visuals, etc. Unless they're a truly unusual group like BTS or Twice, the excitement naturally dies down a little as other groups debut and they're not so new and shiny anymore. That doesn't mean that they aren't slowly gaining fans or selling albums, it's just not a very interesting story for a group to basically be maintaining their popularity at the same level. People give more attention to rookie groups and songs that become huge mainstream hits, that's just how it is. Both the groups you mentioned are doing just fine, much better than most groups, they're lucky.

Edited to add: there's almost no way to have a comeback that doesn't disappoint someone, because everyone has different tastes. Some people will be mad that they switched to a new style they don't like as much, and others will be mad if they keep releasing similar sounding tracks. It's kind of a no win situation. If you're enjoying the music just tune the haters out.

doesn't in third gen most of the groups popular in west are girl groups

No one in the 3rd gen has mainstream recognition in the west except for BTS. The other top groups in the west have also been boy bands. In this link you can see that the top 5 groups in a survey of North and South America were boy groups: https://www.statista.com/stati…lar-k-pop-idols-americas/

People like me (and possibly you) who live here and are fans of groups like Red Velvet and Twice certainly exist, but it's still kind of a niche thing, most people haven't heard of them here whereas even my mom has heard of BTS. The commenter I was responding to was talking about how it's harder for girl groups to have the same amount off success here, not that it's impossible for any of them to have any amount of success or fans.

Not you putting Aespa on the same level as boy groups. With this logic, BP isn't considered 3rd Gen Leaders bc BTS is outpacing them in terms of sales, charting etc?

I agree, I think it will be hard for any kpop girl group to be as popular in the west as boy groups are, the fan bases are different. In Korea it seems like frequently young girls are the most loyal fans of boy groups, and boys are the most loyal fans of girl groups. Not that you don't find the reverse, but it seems to be a lot of people who both enjoy the music and also have a crush on the members. That's why they freak out when they find out about idols dating.

In the west it's different, I've never had any straight male friends who were big fans of bubblegum, true pop music. Not saying it doesn't exist, but the main market is women and gay men. Young teen girls in the west will be extremely loyal fans to boy groups like BTS and 1D, and kpop groups survive on loyal fandoms who buy every record and all the merch even when a particular release isn't a huge mainstream hit. When western girls do stan a female singer, it's typically because they aspire to be more like the dominant, aggressive artist (think Rihanna, Megan thee Stallion, etc). This type of persona doesn't do quite as well for female idols in Korea, so it's tough for girl groups to balance appealing to both markets. Blackpink is managing to walk that tightrope pretty well so far.

Well, there were just a ton of groups in 2nd gen. People were suddenly realizing how profitable kpop could be in Asia, so lots of little companies opened up around that time and the market was really saturated. SM was releasing a new group every single year. There were also a lot of flops in that generation that no one remembers though, so maybe companies in 3rd gen decided to go a more conservative route and only release their most talented groups every few years.

4th gen seems like it might be similarly crowded, the gg showdown is going to be intense. Maybe it's ramping up again as investors realize the western market is more interested in kpop?

Huh? No one is saying they aren't talented, people are worried that a young teen who is still dealing with the hormonal fluctuations of puberty won't be mentally prepared for all that scrutiny, especially on her body. That's not ageist. Look at all the examples of people bashing young teen idols as they naturally gain weight, it's not a healthy environment.

Goo Hara and Sulli both debuted as minors, I wonder if their mental health would have been better if they had been able to debut at a more mature age when they were more sure of themselves.

Hmmm, this is tough because I consider Red Velvet my all time top favorite girl group. They are just so freaking talented, and it's hard for me not to root for the best singers to be the most successful. Even as a fan, I would often cringe at some of their title tracks. Like "why, SM? Why not give them an easy, general public friendly hit?"

I think SM dominated 2nd gen so much with snsd and other groups, that since then they're trying to prove that they can continue pushing the envelope and find new ways to succeed, rather than just following the trusted snsd blueprint. Groups like nct are also not that gp friendly all the time. They're still attracting some of the top talent because they're sm, but honestly if I was going to be a trainee I might go to a different company that wouldn't sabotage my success. JYP wasn't doing that well right before twice debuted, and was happy to pick up the baton that snsd dropped and use their winning strategy of pretty, cute, bubbly, catchy concepts for twice, and we can see how well that worked. YG is happy to just continue to stay in their own lane. 2NE1 worked well for them, and they decided that if they had an all visual version of 2NE1 it would be even more successful. SM seems to be filled with creative directors who are more interested in putting out something avant garde or jazzy, regardless of how popular it becomes.

I'm confused, who ever said that Chinese idols were all more talented than Korean ones? Are you referring to the fact that sometimes people mention how the Korean general public prefers to stan Korean celebrities over foreign ones, or that there was a case where a Chinese member was portrayed as a villain on a survival show? If you can give some examples that would be helpful.

She is literally out here slaying all these concept photos with her stunning proportions and visuals! Everything suits her bc she’s so pretty. Better slap those haters in the face gurl. Now those same ppl are apologising and starting to praise her. Bahiyyih you will always be famous.

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

She's cute, but she doesn't look that Korean, so you can't be surprised that she doesn't fit the Korean beauty standard. Also, what are you referring to in terms of "proportions"? She's average height and slim, I don't see anything exceptional about that.

I'm not hating on her, we should definitely judge idols on more than just looks. People definitely went overboard hating on her when the lineup was announced, I feel bad for her, but I don't think the antidote is overhyping her looks. Hopefully when the dust settles she can demonstrate her talent and personality.