Posts by z1

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Timing lol

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Im also curious about how JYPE will actually do from now on forward.

They are losing the good gg run they had and it is almost like so many other companies can chart better than them in korea

wonder with their obsession with western market they will soon start to abandon korean market all together

Actually I've never understood why most award shows exclude these songs, I understand they might have some kind of ''advantage'' because being in the tv they might have more promotion but they're just songs after all, it's kind of weird that they don't judge them all in the same way.

Personally I'm glad Melon have always included them.

which award shows exclude them?

I only know circle or gaon used to disregard them for their monthly SOTY awards

Probably 2017 and 2018 based on that kind of management. They had 7 korean singles in between the 2 years + japanese singles.

And only between 2017/18 did they have so many singles. Before that 2017 and after 2018 they toned it down.

It was pretty clear JYPE wanted to capitalise on their hype during that 2 years after a huge 2016 and they did so leading to their string of #1s. But even back then everyone knew they couldnt keep going like that and now we see the consequences of it

Maybe if they kept 2 singles a year during 2017/18 like they have now and during 2016 they would be have been in a far better situation at this stage of their careers

ul peaks are nice but never a reliable metric to judge a song’s performance on charts. izone peaked in uls with ssots but that song is obviously not the most successful song in their discography

i think when discussing songs’ success, stats on charts should not be the be all end all method of discussion. they’re helpful, but not gospel. there are many cases when a song doesn’t look as successful on paper but actually left far more impact. in korea i’d say mgt and uoay are still gfriend and mamamoo’s most well known song despite their strings of more impressive-looking hits charts wise afterwards. and i think loa falls into this category of hits. keep in mind that what you see for loa’s initial charting doesn’t tell the whole story, bc it initially wasn’t a hit at all, but became a sleeper hit afterwards

i am not really going to agrue against ur point about stats not being the most important because it is always going to be true for some songs.

And so if u think that LOA is bigger due to that fact. Then im not going to argue against it. Besides, how does one even argue over popularity and impact? There is no right, no wrong.

I dont feel the impact and popularity of the song like some others, doesnt mean that im right and the other person is wrong.

Personally, i see TT and CU as the ones that really stands out in those areas and not the rest, and as good the fact that LOA was a sleeper hit, i didnt think it can be called 'definitely bigger than YOY' just because it is so

It looks like that due to longevity but as a summer song it will always have that advantage. TT's peak was huge and subsequently its impact was as well. It was after TT that Twice got given the NGG moniker consistently by media outlets.

LoA for me is an example of something I tend to always bring up when I look at the size/impact of a hit - deviation from the mean hit/popularity of a group. LoA didn't start well on the charts and Twice didn't debut with much pomp, it fell to like the 90s on Melon at one point soon after debut. So for it to then become a sleeper hit and spend 7/8 weeks in the top 10 after needing 3 months to get there means something big had to have happened. Not only was the song bringing in new listeners over 3 months but it was also retaining them at a good rate.

I think back then it might have been easier to judge impact then now.

I always think that for Twice, there is a favourtism to their earliest 3 tracks that brought them to fame. Down the road, since they were already so big, so no matter how well the songs perform they dont feel 'as big'.

So from 2017 onwards the songs were already on the losing end of the stick if we compare them to their earlier songs.

The argument is however always there that their earlier songs should be the biggest just due to the nature of Twice's rise and i do understand it as well

i’m impartial about the tt vs dtna debate but loa was definitely a bigger hit than yoy both domestically and internationally

We arent really comparing internationally here or that would be a real mess

Btw YOY- Highest peak ULs for any Twice songs, 2nd longest in top10 for Twice after Cheer Up, 39 weeks in top 100

I'd argue that its statistically better than KK in most departments even

I think when looking at Twice songs is how much we do value the peak vs longetivity.

Most of them except LOA, Cheer Up and later DTNA had pretty poor longetivity in comparison to their peak. But they all peak #1.

For those who value longetivity more, KK might not be in top 5 just for how poor it did in longetivity.

In the end, thats also how we compare TT vs DTNA

Gaon points for Twice miss out more than half of their biggest hits in South Korea so it takes into account their decline digitally but not their peak. As useful as a metric it can be now, using it as an all-encompassing metric when comparing 3rd gen groups careers doesn't make sense to me.

Also did no-one know the answer to the Butter in Vietnam question? Where's Massivekpop when you need them.

I think we came to that conclusion a while back in this thread when comparing the two top ggs- that it is difficult to compare two of them based on all the different stats alone in korea

I think massive hasnt really been active for a while on this thread but lets try pinging

MassiveKpopFan

When was Gaon digital charts was impacted? I assume in May/June 2018.

BP has 7 singles, twice has ≈10 singles not so much difference.

They will eventually, they still have 2 weeks promo it will reach the top 30 I’m sure longevity is key

Start of 2018.

Heart Shaker was released in December, and Likey late October 2017, so they contributed alot to Twice's points as well(Over 1.3Billion or 20%) + the fact that 2018/19 digital points were way higher meant that Blackpink probably would've overtaken them earlier with The Album had both groups started from square one in 2018 and completely removed points from songs released before 2018

But eventually it has happened.

If we really want to deep dive into the circle points, we are basically comparing Heart Shaker + 80% of Likey's points + the 11 singles Twice had since then vs 7 Blackpink singles + Forever Young Bside points.

I just realized LSF and G-idle are coming back on the same time.

Thats going to be interesting for sure

Any predictions for number of weeks in top 10 for the top 5 female songs now?

Currently:

After Like- 5 weeks (Position: 2)

Shut Down- 1 week (Position: 3)

Attention- 7 weeks (Position: 4)

Pink Venom- 5 weeks(Position: 5)

Hype Boy- 7 weeks(Position: 6)