Posts by ItsActuallyMe

I think this is the first time I've seen an uninvolved third party give its say on the conflict.

[1mm Finance Talk] Banks that cry and laugh at ‘star marketing’

...On the other hand, there are some places that are nervous due to the sudden 'bad news' that happened to their advertising model. With the launch of the banking application Shinhan New SOL in 2022, Shinhan Financial Group selected the girl group Newjeans as an advertising model, and the relationship has continued to this day . Newgenes also played a role in the promotion of the group's integrated app Super Sol ( SOL ), which was released at the end of last year. Although it was an impeccable appointment in terms of topicality and attention, Shinhan Financial Group found itself in a somewhat difficult situation as a management dispute suddenly broke out between New Genes' agency, ADOR , and its parent company, HYBE . Hive and Adore are prepared to join hands with law firms Kim & Chang and Sejong, respectively, to engage in a lawsuit. First, Hive plans to accuse CEO Adore of breach of trust, claiming that he attempted to seize management rights.

Shinhan Financial Group is in a somewhat awkward mood, but unlike similar cases, it is not a case where musicians were directly involved, so they are keeping an eye on the situation. Shinhan Financial Group said, “It is true that it is a somewhat embarrassing situation, but unlike the previous FIFTY FIFTY incident, it is understood that this is a dispute between management that has nothing to do with the musician (New Genes).” They added, “I think it will not have a significant impact.”

[1mm금융톡]'스타 마케팅'에 울고 웃는 은행들
    은행권이 '스타 마케팅'으로 희비가 엇갈리는 모습이다. 일부 은행은 기대 이상의 인지도·주목도 상승효과를 누리며 광고모델과의 계약을 연장하는가 하면, 또 다른 은행은 갑작스러운 광고모델의 '악재'에 상황을 예의주시하
    n.news.naver.com

"Truth? The important thing is that New Jeans and Eyelets don't get hurt" Voices from fans in front of Hive [Report]

At 11 am on the 25th, in front of the Hive headquarters in Yongsan-gu, Seoul. A steady stream of foreigners came here to take commemorative photos. The nationalities were diverse, including French, American, Japanese, and Indonesian. They took pictures with the company building in the background, holding in one hand their celebrity photo cards and goods.

When overseas fans were asked about the internal conflict between Hive and Adore CEO Min Hee-jin, they responded, "I know very well." A, a French woman who came on the trip because she likes K-pop, said, “I heard on Twitter that there was an internal conflict,” and added, “The most important thing is that the artists do not get hurt.”

On this day, an Indonesian man who was filming 'Shorts' in the park next to the Hive headquarters also made the same voice. He said, “In Indonesia, not only BTS , but also New Jeans, Le Seraphim, and Aillet are all popular,” and added, “It’s not good to see the same companies fighting among themselves.”

Recently, the conflict between Hive and CEO Min has spread into a 'muddy fight', and fans at home and abroad have expressed their disappointment at the intensifying 'family fight' of the famous K- pop family. They said that the honor of Hive's artists should be given top priority, while at the same time clarifying whether there was any infringement of management rights.

Fans' views were diverse regarding CEO Min's claim that Aylet copied New Jeans. Mr. Kang, a 29-year-old New Genes fan, said, "If the beginning of the whole thing was that 'Aillit, from another label in the same hive, copied New Genes,' it should have been resolved internally rather than through public discussion. Now, the images of both artists have been damaged." “It’s done,” he said.

Mr. Choi, a college student in his 20s, said, “As the CEO of the company, I think it is right to raise the issue to protect the IP (intellectual property rights) of New Genes,” and added, “We need to respect Adore’s branding ability as much as Hive’s capital power.”

There was also an opinion that it should be clarified whether there were circumstances in which Adore management leaked Hive's internal information and attempted to take over management rights. Based on a conversation between CEO Min and Adore's vice-president Mr. A via KakaoTalk, Hive reported the two to the Yongsan Police Station on the 25th on charges of breach of trust.

At a press conference held in Gangnam-gu, Seoul the day before, CEO Min said, "I had no plan, no intention, and never carried out the usurpation of management rights. I did not betray Hive, but Hive betrayed me. It was a frame to suck up as much as I could and then press it down." insisted.

This is a point where fans who have supported K-pop for a long time are losing strength. Mr. Kim, in his 30s, who has been a fan of New Jeans since their debut, said, "There are various controversies such as Hive's personal inspections and shamanic advice, but the important thing seems to be the battle for evidence. For now, I am in the position to look at it carefully." Mr. Kim, a college student in his 20s, also said, “There are so many suspicions right now that I’m confused about which one is true.”

https://n.news.naver.com/article/008/0005030837?sid=102

Ves wasn't easy but I finished summarizing all of today's events for the timeline. Hope I didn't miss anything important.

April 25 - Hybe releases the results of the internal audit, officially accusing MHJ of leading the attempt to seize management rights of Ador | Hybe releases parts of transcribed conversations MHJ has held with a Shaman who is a close friend of hers which include controversial discussions about BTS's military service and detailed advice on Ador's management | MHJ holds a two hour long press conference to reveal her side of the story. She berates Hybe's accusations of seizing management rights as being groundless, and with the help of Kakao chats reveals the complicated history of her relationship with Hybe, specifically its CEO Park Ji-won and Chairman Bang Si-Hyuk. According to MHJ they have mistreated NewJeans by repeatedly privileging other groups such as Le Sserafim and Illit. She further details how the upset NewJeans members and their parents have offered their support and comfort to her | Hybe releases a statement declaring MHJ's remarks aren't worthy of a response and stresses that it is focused on giving the NewJeans members the help and support they need | Hybe files a criminal complaint with the police against MHJ and Ador Vice President Shin Dong-Hoon

April 26 - NewJeans releases a music video for their comeback song 'Bubblegum'

May 24 - NewJeans releases double single album 'How Sweet'

External Content x.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Checked with the wayback machine and there happened to be a screenshot from August 2022 that doesn't show the Ador tag either. So unless they added it after that, nothing was removed.

pasted-from-clipboard.png

I think MHJ's press conference did better the public's perception of her in Korea to some degree. The amount of negative opinions of her probably didn't change, and stayed as extreme, but she did gain some positive opinions that also reached more extreme levels. The press conference was also such a novelty that it almost made her into a cult figure. The only problem is that she might have won the battle for the public's opinion today, but that she greatly damaged her chances to win any legal battle. I also wonder if in a way she didn't peak too early by revealing everything now when the whole process will drag on for months. What else is there left for her to reveal?

So with both MHJ and Vice President Shin reported to the police by Hybe only one director on Ador's Board remains 'clean', namely Kim Ye-Min (ex-art director at SM). I would assume she is a close loyalist of MHJ but it is interesting that her name goes unmentioned.

There is some speculation that the whisteblower is the other VP who transferred from Hybe's IR department or somebody around him. His history with MHJ is still unclear. The only other rumors I've seen about the whisteblower is that it might not have been somebody at Hybe but in the banking sector. No legitimate reports on any of these rumors though.

Time for a more lighthearted article:

“Some information about Min Hee-jin’s clothes today”… The biggest press conference ever, even caused a sell-out crisis.

While the press conference of Min Hee-jin, CEO of Hive's label 'Adore', was met with an 'all-time' reaction from netizens with foul language and profanity, the t-shirts and hats worn by Min were sold out. Among these, posts sharing information on fashion items worn by CEO Min began pouring into various social media and online communities. Comments continued, “Where are the clothes Min Hee-jin is wearing today?” and “Please give me information on Min Hee-jin’s press conference look.” By the time the press conference was over, a review article appeared saying that the products in question were sold out in shopping malls.

The sweatshirt that CEO Min wore is all sold out at shopping malls. /California General Store official website

On this day, Representative Min entered the conference room wearing relatively comfortable attire: a green striped sweatshirt and a blue cap. The t-shirt is from the Japanese brand ‘California General Store’ and the local price is 8,800 yen. It is approximately 78,000 won in Korean won. The hat is an LA Dodgers logo hat produced by 46BRAND, which conducts the clothing licensing business for the four major U.S. sports leagues . It is sold for around 40,000 won at domestic shopping malls.

Currently, both products are sold out on the brand's official website and domestic shopping malls. Netizens are sharing screen captures of product pages where all sizes of t-shirts and hats in corresponding colors are marked as ‘ Out of Stock ’

The cap worn by CEO Min is sold out at the shopping mall. /Online shopping mall sales page

“오늘 민희진 옷 정보 좀”… 역대급 기자회견, 품절 대란까지 불렀다
    하이브 산하 레이블 ‘어도어’ 민희진 대표의 기자회견이 막말과 비속어 등으로 ‘역대급’이라는 네티즌 반응을 부른 가운데, 민 대표가 착용한 티셔츠와 모자가 품절되는 해프닝까지 벌어지고 있다. 민 대표는 25일 오후
    n.news.naver.com

Hadn't noticed this yet but MHJ casually mentioned to the media that Hybe's CEO Park Jiwon also visits a psychiatrist. That alone might give Jiwon a base to personally take legal action against MHJ

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

How is Hybe getting her convo with shaman? How is that possible...anyone understanding how they are doing it? It would have been a one on one convo between her and the shaman or was it on emails or something sent by her from Hybe computers?

Hive explained that through forensics, they had obtained a long transcript of a conversation between CEO Min and a shaman

It's only not totally clear to mehen exactly Hybe learned about it, before or during the audit. It is only mentioned that the results of the audit confirmed it.

she was talking about source trainees

minji was source trainee since 2017

External Content x.com

Her case sounds to most complicated to me. She would be the only member that has experienced a different reality while being under source music before bighit bought it and MHJ joining it later.

The members also don't necessarily have to share the same exact stance. Probably shouldn't overthink MHJ's words, but the fact that at the press conference MHJ only seemed to have specifically mention three members comforting here is a bit noteworthy to me.

So it seems that the main root of the conflict between MHJ and Hybe is their disagreements during the renegotiation process of her contract. She wanted to be allowed to do work outside of Hybe concurrently while Hybe disapproved of that.

This article discusses it a bit and includes some of the statements of MHJ herself and the lawyers:

Throughout the press conference, the defense team stopped Representative Min whenever she tried to speak about the confidentiality clause, but the 'variable' came out at the end. This is because as the press conference came to a close with Attorney Lee's remarks, Representative Min spoke about the ban on concurrent business, which appears to be one of the obligations to maintain confidentiality.

After Attorney Lee finished speaking, CEO Min immediately left the conference room, saying, “I tried to fix the ban on concurrent business (during the renegotiation process between shareholders),” and “I can’t be a slave (of Hive) forever, right?”

Typically, most companies introduce provisions prohibiting concurrent work through employment contracts, employment rules, separate agreements, etc. This is a regulation that prohibits performing other work without prior approval from the company during the agreed time. Although the clause prohibiting concurrent employment does not have legal effect, it can be used as a reason for disciplinary action at the company's discretion, including ▲ job integrity ▲ damage to the company's reputation.

In particular, in the case of executives at the CEO level, it is common for them not to hold concurrent positions as they are in charge of managing one company. The clause prohibiting concurrent employment is one of the contract conditions that in principle requires confidentiality, but if it is disclosed without the consent of the other party, it may be disadvantageous in court. This is why the lawyers of Shin & Kim Law Firm were anxious and restrained Representative Min throughout the press conference. As Hive is filing a complaint against CEO Min (allegations of breach of trust, etc.) based on physical evidence obtained through its own audit, violation of confidentiality obligations is bound to have a negative effect on CEO Min.

민희진 어도어 대표, 비밀유지의무 위반?…"겸업금지 조항, 고치려 했다"
    하이브와 어도어의 진실공방이 점입가경으로 흘러가는 가운데, 민희진 어도어 대표와 하이브의 '주주간 재협상' 과정이 갈등의 시발점이 됐다는 분석이 나오고 있다. 이는 양측의 재협상 과정에서 '겸업금지 조항'을 두고 각
    n.news.naver.com

ItsActuallyMe Didn't you guess Mr. A was this Shin person??

Screenshot 2024-04-25 at 3.57.53 PM.png

Yeah but I still get confused about the difference between Shin and the guy that transfered from Hybe's IR department. They're definitely two different people but only one of them seems to be the target of Hybe's legal action. VP Shin is on the board of Ador while the other VP isn't and seems to be cooperating with hybe's investigation so that might explain it

There are way too many korean articles to read through about the press conference, but from the ones that I read they are very careful with reporting on MHJ leaking the kakao chats between her and Bang PD. They briefly mention it but don't go into details. Maybe that will come later but they of course don't want to risk getting involved in any defamation suit. There are strong rules in Korea for that when it comes to the media.

If they're smart (...), they'll need to be emotional and the first thing to do is apologize for the mess, to the public, fans but especially to all the artists mentioned.

Then assure again that NJ, and maybe Illit too, members will get the appropriate help to get thru those tough times.

That would be the smart move to do. It again shows the negative side of kpop (music industry as a whole) where the artists have to suffer for the ego trips of every executive. it would be for the best if kpop moves away from the concept of one single person leading the management of the group and connect their image tot hem. The fact that all of these groups have members that are introduced to these kinds of leading figures and see them as a mother/father figure invites so many problems. Now it's a conflict between labels, but what if one member ends up having a conflict with the big manager? The main issue of course is that this is ingrained into the whole kpop industry. The kpop market is growing but the culture is still stuck in time.

The last line makes it appear like the parents are undecided but MHJ is trying to show thye are on her side...Newjeans parents need to make their stance clear soon cause MHJ is hellbent on saying that they are on her side completely.

Will depend on what their legal representation loosk like. Do they have lawyers that are closely associated with Ador, Hybe, or in between? Most likely the former. It would be in their best interest then to find new legal representation that isn't associated with either Ador and Hybe to really see what their options are and how to go about it.