Posts by ItsActuallyMe

It's a bit too soon to predict the NewJeans disappears as a group isn't it? As you've said before, it all depends on contracts, especially IPs, but I'm still predicting that in the end MHJ will leave and the NJ members will follow her.

I just hope she can get that abominable non compete erased. I'm not putting it past Hybe to be vindictive about trying to enforce that if it doesn't get removed - I've seen it play out with other Korean corps. While she may not get as much money as she wants from Hybe, but she isn't without connections and will raise capital. They can start anew, hopefully as their own truly independent label.

But I guess that's my optimism, because the maturity level of the top parties involved is showing rock bottom level status.

The last step remaining that would make it really inevitable is if hybe involves the parents in their lawsuits. It's a red line with no return if Hybe crosses it.

But where some people compare it to 5050, I think this situation is quite different. Also don't think Hybe will relaunch the group, rather they probably will discard any reminder to MHJ. You would think selling Ador would make the most sense then, but Hybe might be that petty now that they don't even want that. Money doesn't seem to be a guiding factor anymore

I'm a bit worried. If MHJ can prove obstruction of business and the parents do take legal action about the Dispatch videos, does that mean NewJeans has grounds to terminate?

Depends on what the contracts of the newjeans members specify. But it's gonna take up to a year before any court will have its say over it. Hard to see how we won't have an outcome of this conflict before then. Timing wise the Source Music and Belift cases will be taken care of before Ador's case as well, so will it really matter still then?

So one of the guys MHJ is suing for obstruction of business is Hybe's Chief Finance Officer Lee Kyung Joon. He also sits on Ador's board of directors since May. So MHJ is suing somebody who she shares power with at Ador now.

Also I doubt Hybe's new CEO will handle the Ador conflict very differently. What I can see happening is that he will want to have a strong introduction as Hybe's CEO by quickly resolving the conflict. Though resolving likely won't happen in an amicable way. Kinda feels like with this week's events that has become completely impossible. Conversely, firing MHJ, and paying her the 15 million dollar penalty, suddenly feels a realistic action the new CEO could do to do a complete reset. The fact that he also sits on Ador's board is also something to consider.

I also have a hunch that Hybe's 2.0 plan will involve a reorganization of the label structure. A lot of autonomy probably will be taken away from all the labels. Hybe could go the UMG way (who bang pd sees as an example) and divide the labels up into two separate main entities (in UMG'S case Republic and Interscope). The CEO's of each label will then have to delegate a lot of power.

I do hope each party starts to show some restraint because right now everyone is still way too guided by emotions that it is leading to an outcome where there are only losers. Nobody gains anything from newjeans disappearing as a group, but that's what the parties involved are inevitably moving towards now.

Hybe announced on the 24th that it plans to formally appoint Lee Jae-sang as CEO after a shareholders’ meeting and board of directors’ resolution.

Hive has been carrying out a leadership transition project since the beginning of this year, having appointed CSO Lee Jae-sang as the right person to lead the ‘Hybe 2.0’ strategy that will be revealed soon. After graduating from Yonsei University, CEO-designate Lee Jae-sang worked at global management consulting firm Monitor Group, Hyundai Motor Company, and Google before joining Hybe’s predecessor, Big Hit Entertainment, in 2018. Since then, he has served as Big Hit Entertainment CIGO (Chief Innovation and Growth Officer), Hybe CSO (Chief Strategy Officer), Hybe America COO (Chief Operating Officer), and Hybe America CEO, playing a pivotal role in Hybe’s overall business strategy and investment. CEO-designate Lee Jae-sang played a leading role in designing and establishing HYBE’s three-major business strategy structure of “Label - Solution - Platform,” and led the M&A of leading domestic labels and technology companies as well as HYBE’s initial public offering (IPO) procedures. HYBE stated, “CEO-designate Lee Jae-sang is an entertainment industry expert with extensive experience in establishing strategies and operating both domestically and internationally,” and “We expect him to use his capabilities to help HYBE grow into an advanced entertainment lifestyle platform company based on music and technology.”

CEO Park Ji-won, who has led HYBE for the past three years, has decided to resign as CEO after determining that it is more appropriate for HYBE’s global business expansion and new growth strategy to be centered on new leadership

* In May Lee Jae-sang was appointed as a director on Ador's new board.

Hybe has announced Lee Jae-sang will be it's new CEO. He is Hybe's current Chief Strategy Officer. If that name sounds familiar to you it's because he was appointed on Ador's new board of directors after the injunction and wss rumored to be Hybe's choice as replacement of MHJ as Ador's CEO.

Perhaps he will have to be replaced now on Ador's board but he for sure will have a big role to play in solving the conflict one way or another

This arguably is the biggest development in the korean entertainment/tech industry of the last decade. Kpop fans will immediately think of what he has done with Kakao entertainment but without Kim Bumsoo Kakaotalk would not exist. He is almost like Korea's Mark Zuckerberg.

Also the judge who issued the warrant for Kakao's founder really is gaining legend status in Korea. In the past he issued warrants for the CEO of Samsung and two businesswoman (one called South Korea's Rasputin) who were involved with the corruption scandal of ex-President Park Geun-Hye which eventually led to her impeachment. It's also a big loss for sejeong law firm which represents Kim Bumsoo and Kakao/SM. Of course nobody has been found guilty yet.

they are catching big fish
    i'm surprised they are going for the kakao founder instead of the kakao ent ceo/head

They are also going after them

The list so far of suspects the prosecution is investigating and have questioned:

Kakao Chairman Kim Bumsoo

Kakao CEO Hong Eun-taek

Kakao CIO Bae Jae-hyun

Kakao Entertainment CEO Kim Sung-soo

One Asia Partners Chairman Ji Chang-bae

SM Entertainment CEO Jang Chul-hyeok

SM Entertainment CSO Jang Jae-ho

SM Entertainment ex-CEO Chris Lee

SM Entertainment ex-CEO Tak Young-joon

And it is also reported they're looking at executives from Align partners

Aren't this person leaked some unreleased BTS songs and get sued?

Yeah some people think it was him who was prosecuted for it. The age matches however it never has been confirmed it is him and it could even be that he himself actually was the one who was impersonated.

External Content x.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

This might be a bit too geeky for some, but what is interesting to me is that GiGi's music publisher in KOMCA's files was Hybe up to NewJeans' Get Up album, but for their latest double single albums it was BANA. So it seems they left Hybe and joined BANA who Ador relies on a lot for music production (or Ador has decided to exclude Hybe as much from the credits as possible). Actually if you look at the KOMCA credits for the new newjeans' singles Hybe doesn't hold any publishing credits for the work done by the Korean producers, which they did before (250 same situation). Only the NewJeans members who are credited on the new singles still have Hybe as their assigned publisher.

As you can see in the KOMCA credits below Hybe has no music publisher credits assigned with anyone anymore. It's actually the first NewJeans song where this is the case.

pasted-from-clipboard.png

for comparison Hype Boy's KOMCA credits:

pasted-from-clipboard.png

I believe you a lot more than others. Is this information from multiple credible sources, or just something a from a random unknown source posted in a social media site?

If you search their korean names you'll get multiple hits: 김현지 석대환

this chosun ilbo article for example:

뉴진스, 브랜딩과 접속사가 없네… 민희진 式 근사한 원근법
    뉴진스, 브랜딩과 접속사가 없네 민희진 式 근사한 원근법
    www.chosun.com

There is speculation that Gigi in the credit's of many NewJeans songs is someone infamous that we all know. Apparently Gigi never had any lyricist songwriting credits prior to NewJeans' debut.

240508-how-sweet-and-bubble-gum-songwriting-credits-v0-1no64b0og5zc1.png?auto=webp&s=f117200bd5ff9dcec9946a9bd945d80644d16060

It's not MHJ. GiGi is a songwiters duo consisting of Kim Hyunji and Seok Daehwan. Seok Daewhan has actually worked with several other Hybe artists (bts, txt, enhypen) before under his other alias Lil 27 Club. But recently it seems Seok Daewhan isn't as involved anymore and rather Kim Hyunji is doing most of the work with the GiGi credit now.

Well LSM is banned from entertainment industry for several years so he cannot buy back. Also Kakao is bigger than Hybe, so I would say Kakao could acquire hybe not the other way around :iconpepe:

The hybe clause prohibits LSM from producing in Korea and additionally he cannot hire SM employees or artists until 2026. Acquiring shares or a company however never have been specified as limitations for LSM. Recently it was also reported that LSM trademarked the name 'A20 entertainment' for entertainment activities so he was already gearing up for a return to the industry soon.

And while Kakao is definitely bigger than hybe, it is not the case for Kakao Entertainment which is a subsidiary. Kakao Entertainment is worth about the same as SM, perhaps a bit more as it also has Melon, so Hybe definitely would have to spend a lot of money on it. Likely there also will be interest from foreign investment funds such as PIF. But if Kakao is actually planning to sell so many of its subsidiaries, Hybe will feel they cannot lose out on all of them, even if means wasting a lot of money for it.

Doubt Hybe would go for SM a 2nd time. They already sold some of their SM shares. Instead it could be an opportunity for Lee Sooman and a group of investors to acquire it back. SM stock is much lower than it was when LSM sold his shares to hybe so he could acquire a larger share this time.

For Hybe Kakao Entertainment could be a more attractive acquisition. They have respectable kpop artists as well of course, but notably Melon is part of it as well.

Saw that there was another little update:

[Exclusive] The inside story of New Jeans' non-participation in the 'Hive Exhibition'

According to an investigation by Xports News on the 15th, the Grammy Museum in Los Angeles proposed to Ador last March, "We will give NewJeans the most central spot," but NewJeans' participation ultimately did not materialize. Ador cited the minimal representation of NewJeans in the 'HYBE Exhibition' as the reason for their decision to decline participation.

A related party mentioned that the organizers had sent a love call, stating, "We will ensure that NewJeans-related exhibits are the first things visitors see when they enter the exhibition." HYBE also conveyed the organizers' intentions to Ador, expressing their desire to have NewJeans participate in the 'HYBE Exhibition.'

Unfortunately, due to Ador's refusal, NewJeans will not be featured in the 'HYBE Exhibition.' Online, there has been speculation that internal strife between HYBE and Ador's CEO Min Hee-jin may be the cause, leading to further controversy.

Saw that Hybe gave an additional statement about it and Ador gave a brief one as well:

Additionally, a HYBE representative responded to Ten Asia's inquiry by saying, "Not all artists are required to participate in HYBE events. For instance, NewJeans did not appear at Weverse Con, and BTS also did not participate."

When Ten Asia inquired about the background of the decision not to participate in the exhibition, ADOR replied with a simple "label decision" without further explanation.

뉴진스만 쏙 빠진 그래미 전시회…"하이브 방관인가 민희진 비협조인가" [TEN이슈] | 텐아시아
    뉴진스만 쏙 빠진 그래미 전시회…"하이브 방관인가 민희진 비협조인가" [TEN이슈], 이민경 기자, 연예가화제 뉴스
    tenasia.hankyung.com

Hybe gave a statement to korean media that participation in the event was dependent on each label's choice. Besides the general animosity between them, I think the fact that this particular event was co-organized by belift's CEO and Bang PD has a central presence at the exhibition as well only makes it more difficult for MHJ to say yes to it. Though it's probably a mutual thing.

It's not a good look either way and the broken discord likely will lead to more missed opportunities for newjeans in the future. This one might not be that significant but I can imagine that newjeans' promotions in the U.S for future releases might be lacking overall compared to the past.

tbh I think AOTY and ArOTY are basically locked for IU and AESPA right now. Gidle might catch up a bit for both but judges votes likely won't favor them. Fan votes will also be quite divided I imagine

To X would be the most straightforward option for SOTY though I think Plot Twist also still has a good chance of winning it. They will likely end up being quite equal with the digital score so the fan and judges votes will be the deciding factor. Don't think TWS has that of a strong fanbase in Korea who could carry the fan votes for them, but I can see the judges votes favor them.

There's of course also Record of the Year left. After last year they really can give that to anyone. Might give it to whoever leads with the fan votes for either SOTY or ArOTY

Looking at how the top songs for SOTY are ranking right now on the digital points chart and the spotify chart I'd say Perfect Night is still the frontrunner but that Magnetic will likely catch up quite a bit and end up being its main challenger. Judges votes probably will be quite divided among the artists anyway so they won't make much of a difference.

MAMA has been quite predicatable based on the scores these last few years so AOTY and ArOTY will most likely go to Seventeen. The only thing that could really change things if they suddenly add fan votes again or use a different streaming partner than spotify.

There's only one right answer and you know it :lighter-pepe:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.