When a kpop artist used the R-word in a song

• For those wondering what the "R-word" is.

It is the ableist word, which comes from the Latin word for "slow".

Well... it is not the first time that has happened.

I remember there also being a rapper who used that word, but I forgot her name and what that song was called.

And it did rub me the wrong way, when I heard her using it.

But actually I'm talking about a different artist.

I decided not to mention the name of that artist. (and then this thread might feel like one of those articles that are like "Idol A and Idol B are secretly dating.")

He did apologize for it though.

He said that he didn't know that word was offensive.

But because of the fact that he is Korean-American, some people were thinking "Is he sure that he didn't know?"

Well... I'm not American, but when I was 16 and saw Block B singing that Black Eyed Peas song "Let's Get R*", I had no idea that this word was offensive. And I don't think I saw them getting any backlash for it. (Not sure if it is a case of it being less offensive back then or something)

I admit that I strongly dislike when people use the R-word and other ableist slurs.

Mostly because I have a disabled brother.

But I'm glad that this artist apologized for it.

Even though it makes me think of when I have told some people not to use that word, and then they apologize for it, but still keep using it.

I don't dislike that artist.

I actually like his singing voice.

I don't know if I'm making it obvious who that artist is.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!