What's something where learning more objective facts made you change your stance?

• An author I follow posted this on his Facebook account semi-recently, mostly joking about how impossible it is to use facts to make someone change their mind about ANYTHING, big or small.

It made me realize (and then Lulu_Key 's board reminded me of it) that the death penalty was something I changed my mind on when faced with additional facts. I used to be pro-death penalty, but have never been pro-torture, and then learned that, the conflicting rules of various systems basically require death row inmates to be tortured to death. You compound that with how targeted the American justice system is -- where the color of your skin or the size of your bank account can directly impact how "guilty" you are -- and the fact that there are known instances of police pushing innocent men to be found guilty and I just can't be in favor of it anymore. Maybe in a perfectly just society, as a way to weed out the most heinous, but not in any version of our current society.

Here's an interesting video if you want to learn more:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

What's your thing?

let's be friends

e9b8a6c6366aecb3faf71dcc6b4488775b109abb.gif

• I'm thinking about it

I have changed my mind about scientific ideas but I never had a hard stand for those and was always open to new information so they don't really count

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• one time I had an argument with SandyBee3 about how non-offending pedophiles shouldn't be given treatment but she changed my mind by presenting actual studies and explaining that it could prevent future assaults, also talked about how child molesters are often looking for weak victims who can't fight back, not necessarily children so mislabeling them could also push back things in an unproductive way

Oh, that's a good example. It's a really sensitive topic where your natural gut reaction is contrary to what actually works, so I totally understand.

let's be friends

• OK here is one that would be understandable

I used to think private investment and private companies getting into space sector and industry was a good thing. More competition than just goverment agencies means more progress.

I believe I was wrong.

Goverment agencies such ESA and NASA share their findings and data with anyone for scientific purposes and public safety and benefits. For example if they detect volcanic activities they will warn the related governments. They also share data about weather that will help agriculture sector. Even if a country is not financially contributing to those agencies they still get some of the benefits.

But now that private agencies and money are running the show its different. They plan on launching very large commercial constellations that might hinder operation of scientific platforms. They also plan to charge fee for using those services. They plan to monopolize space for financial gain instead of public good.

• Oh, that is a good one. I remember one of John Oliver's videos on the weather service and towns that don't pay into certain weather companies and how they can be devastated without that warning of tornadoes, etc.

There are a lot of things that are public goods without really thinking about how their existence can affect you.

let's be friends

• Oh, that is a good one. I remember one of John Oliver's videos on the weather service and towns that don't pay into certain weather companies and how they can be devastated without that warning of tornadoes, etc.

There are a lot of things that are public goods without really thinking about how their existence can affect you.

alot of people believe their taxes are going to waste toward space exploration and projects and it should be left to private companies.

they have no idea how much of their everyday life things could be come costly.

Imagine if GPS services were privatized and you were forced to pay 10 dollar sub monthly fee like netflix

• alot of people believe their taxes are going to waste toward space exploration and projects and it should be left to private companies.

they have no idea how much of their everyday life things could be come costly.

Imagine if GPS services were privatized and you were forced to pay 10 dollar sub monthly fee like netflix

I already can't with these dozen+ ways to watch TV. :aespa46: And all that affects is my enjoyment, not whether my house is still standing tomorrow.

let's be friends

• I already can't with these dozen+ ways to watch TV. :aespa46: And all that affects is my enjoyment, not whether my house is still standing tomorrow.

have u seen the movie dont look up?

• when I my then gf said I had the emotional intelligence of a hamburger (we were eating hamburgers) and also reading men are from mars women are from venus

• Not yet! I've been meaning to. I keep hearing it's both funny and sad, because of the accuracy.

omg

u should watch it

then u will fully understand what I mean lmao

• When I learned more about slavery especially after my first trip to Africa (Ghana) as an adult to have a much better understanding of what happened and I was shocked to find out how black and white it’s been thought in the west. I was taken back but at the end had to accept the horrible truth that changed my mind about the race debate. I don’t want to go into details but I found out it wasn’t just white people who enslaved Africans, but also thousands of middle easters (Arabs) during the same time and even before the white men arrived (illegal low key till this day). And the most shocking was that to learn that Africans themself (especially west Africa), unlike my initial thought that all of them were abducted, were highly involved in the slave trade and the vast majority were actually sold by their own people into slavery as holding slaves was already something ingrained in their culture and not stolen.

When the tour guide was talking while we were walking on one of the slave trade paths I thought the dude was misinformed so I asked him several more questions and he looked at me (almost like he was expecting this reaction) and just said I know many of you from Europe or America have no actual idea what really went down here, I’m not the first person who reacted like this.

Back in Germany I did a deeper research and what this dude said was the truth. In fact the history of slavery is also thought differently at the other end of the world than in the west.

• Btw this Thread remains me of this video I watched a while ago…

External Content youtu.be

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!