Why have TWICE songs been doing so badly in Korea lately??

• This is not a shade or bait, nor intended as such, but a genuine question.

A number of threads in the main section made me wonder about this.

TWICE have had many hit songs in their past.

The general public in Korea knows TWICE well.

TWICE are still 1 of the most popular groups in Korea.

Their released songs weren't controversial, niche or not catchy.

I know, the public is fickle and how a song charts can be erratic.

But K-pop groups and artists are killing it again, especially after the last Melon chart change, and from what it looks like a wide array of different type of songs are acceptable and pleasing to the public. And TWICE's songs were catchy!

Based on all the things above, TWICE songs should do fantastic on the Korean chart.

So why don't they? What makes the difference?

Did JYP change something in how TWICE's comebacks and songs are promoted in Korea? Was it a bad moment when Scientist got released?

I just can't see why TWICE's last songs failed to chart as great as everything indicated it should have charted great.

Approved the thread.
  • because korea is a country of trends

• A fw issues.

Lack of promotion. Songs like Scientist, The Feels, etc had almost 0 promotion outside of music shows, which the Feels didn't even get that, it had literally 0 promotion. So if you weren't a fan of Twice you wouldn't really know those songs were out. Twice haven't been on a idol variety show as all 9 members in over a year, I think since More & More(which was their last song to top Melon).

The company just doesn't promote them much and when they do it's usually to Youtube stuff of to radio shows that aren't really popular anymore.

Poor title track choices. Alchohol Free did well but was limited by being so so Summery that after the Summer was over it fell. ICSM did great for them outside of Korea, but again was not to Korean's taste at all. The Feels is Twice's most successful song ever internationally and just lacked promotion and being English it was in a tough spot to do well domestically.

Scientist is a song even Once don't vibe with. Post Fancy and Twice 2.0 it's by far their worst performer on Spotify and Youtube. It did nothing in Japan either. Honestly it was a lazy song choice and far too weak for a title.

They lost their primary producers. Jinyoung Park and BEP were always Twice's most consistent producers. Recently Jyp has no idea about Korean taste or what the GP want so can't buy a hit and BEP simply moved away from 3rd party production to focus on their own group, StayC.

Imagine if BlackPink lost Teddy, that's kind of like this situation right now. Twice have kind of bounced from production teams and never really found the right formula they had in 2015-2018. Fontana and Lingren have been the most consistent but beyond BWL they've never produced a big Korean hit song so they aren't really up to par with Korea's taste either.

• I think they are doing okay for a girl group entering their 7th year. Don't except ggs that are charting well to chart the same way 4-5 years down the line. Everyone falls off their peak

• how many times have the same kind of threads being made?it's obv they aren't making cute concepts anymore and sk were into that.

• I am not trying to bash them, but these past years they were involved in so many "can't sing" scandals and even though some love to talk about their talent, Twice indeed lacks vocal talent so i think people got tired of waiting for an improvement on their 5/6 year and just stopped caring about them. Their brand was tainted and if people start seeing you negativity all the time, you'll be a target of "not good enough" and they will drop you.

• i think it was the encore stage scandal that killed their reputation. theyve been charting bad ever since then

• That encore took a toll on their loyalty from the gp and on them tbh it created a lot of uncertainty and anxiety from them. It's quite sad :pleading:

• I am not trying to bash them, but these past years they were involved in so many "can't sing" scandals and even though some love to talk about their talent, Twice indeed lacks vocal talent so i think people got tired of waiting for an improvement on their 5/6 year and just stopped caring about them. Their brand was tainted and if people start seeing you negativity all the time, you'll be a target of "not good enough" and they will drop you.

If this was the case explain Red Velvet and Idle?

GIdle supported and stood by Soojin and had a massive school bully scandal and walked back into their biggest ever hit. Regardless of Soojin leaving the group was tainted by it somewhat too yet Koreans don't care.

Red Velvet had Queendom which did okay and now FMR which is doing very very well. Probably top the chart if not for Gandara and Tomboy.

Irene's reputation was destroyed after the whole magazine industry basically took her stylist side when she was exposed for bullying and work place abuse. Yet does anyone care? Not really.

Are we really living in the world where a botched encore is worse for your career than bullying or work place abuse? That's fucking sad.

• I think the main reason is the listener generation shift, they need to connect again with new gen listeners.

Those growing up with their music are now adults, probably busy with life.

• Firstly they are a 6 year old gg, it’s incredibly difficult to keep gp interest as a gg that long.

Secondly their image had no longevity. Twice were known as the cute group with catchy cute songs in Korea. Cute concept is known to be hard to shift from and still retain gp interest. And twice never did anything outside of the cute concept during their golden years in Korea. Blackpink is another group that is known to stick to one concept- girl crush but at least they had songs like whistle, pwf, aityl, and most recently lsg that showed sk they arent just a one trick pony. Sk awaits for their non gc stuff just as much as their girl crush. Lsg already had hype before it came out bc Koreans were excited they were going to a more teen crush style like aityl. Blackpink are most known for their girl crush but they aren’t known just for that. While twice was just known as that cute group. Once they ventured out of it there was always gonna be a ‘flop’ era of sorts.

(To be fair it’s a lot easier to transition from gc to something lighter as opposed to the opposite)

Thirdly they have no big fame outside of the group. Bp has Jennie who is the biggest it girl atm. Even rose who solo debut did pretty ok. Rv have joy who did well with her solo debut, Irene who even if fell off a bit she is still quite well known. Jyp never let twice have a member who could keep the public attention on the group.

• Also when you look at m&m intifada charting, go was waiting for them. It had 700,00+ uls at peak. More than any other idol group then.

I think fs was mistake #1 and m&m mistake #2, they showed gp twice ain’t going back to the sound and image they had before. M&m should have been something lighter but still mature imo to ease gp into their new sound and image

• They lost their primary producers. Jinyoung Park and BEP were always Twice's most consistent producers. Recently Jyp has no idea about Korean taste or what the GP want so can't buy a hit and BEP simply moved away from 3rd party production to focus on their own group, StayC.

Imagine if BlackPink lost Teddy, that's kind of like this situation right now. Twice have kind of bounced from production teams and never really found the right formula they had in 2015-2018. Fontana and Lingren have been the most consistent but beyond BWL they've never produced a big Korean hit song so they aren't really up to par with Korea's taste either.

Oh, wow. This would indeed explain a lot.

If Teddy would suddenly be missing, it'd have a large impact too.

And now I get why people are anticipating STAYC so much, no wonder with such a major producer. Their songs are indeed catchy.

It would explain a lot, if TWICE songs would have started to decline in charting after BEP went to work for himself and his own group.

Regarding JYP's promotions of TWICE, that's puzzling if they've suddenly shifted gears. I can understand if it was because of focusing on international markets. But leaving Korea behind in promotion, it's not a smart move but it would explain things too.

• Public prefer cute Twice and don’t care for other styles

Poor title song choices

Mocked for poor live singing

None of the members have enough solo impact to keep Twice name in the spotlight (acting, solo music etc)

• all their title tracks are ass since 2020 and bsides are better except for icsm (i don't count the feels since that's a single) and also korean gp prefers cute Twice

• If you are talented enough yes, people will forget your mistakes easily. BB is a big example of this. Tbh scandals like this does affect for a time, but more because people like to cancel others over mistakes, not because the idol is a hated criminal so if given the right time, song and strategy yes, you can survive.

Twice encore stage is being a problem since debut and it took a worse turn after 5 years of activities, they should be talented enough to hold a note. Kpop is lookism for sure but you can't expect others to listen to you on mute. But let's see. They are still an active group, they can have another hit given the right song.

• If you are talented enough yes, people will forget your mistakes easily. BB is a big example of this. Tbh scandals like this does affect for a time, but more because people like to cancel others over mistakes, not because the idol is a hated criminal so if given the right time, song and strategy yes, you can survive.

Twice encore stage is being a problem since debut and it took a worse turn after 5 years of activities, they should be talented enough to hold a note. Kpop is lookism for sure but you can't expect others to listen to you on mute. But let's see. They are still an active group, they can have another hit given the right song.

I bet if you ask any regular Korean they won’t know anything about the encore scandal, it wasn’t as big of a deal as people like to make it out to be lol

• I bet if you ask any regular Korean they won’t know anything about the encore scandal, it wasn’t as big of a deal as people like to make it out to be lol

The actual "scandal" isn't anything big, it's just idols who can't sing. Happened before, will happen again.

However it's the after effects that a causing problems. Those encores have become synonymous with Twice IE Twice can't sing. Anytime time someone mentions Twice their shitty singing ability will also be brought up, just look at some of the responses in this thread. For a music group it's one of the worst things to be called useless at singing.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!