I'm gotta be honest about these large album sales

• I don't believe a lot of them are real.

And no, I won't call out any one specific group because there are actually multiple groups from multiple companies I think are purposely inflating sales.

And yes, I know Gaon had put out a response to this but tbh I really didn't take their response seriously because the truth of the matter is that where there is a will, there is a way. People (and large companies especially) can always find loopholes or ways to cheat the system. No system is 100% infallible.

And honestly, I think it's easier for companies to rig album sales than it is for digital streams. For example, there is nothing stopping big companies from sending money to overseas retailers where they can't be tracked and make those retailers buy their group's albums. This will inflate Gaon numbers but will result in low Hanteo numbers because really fans aren't actually purchasing the albums and they just sit there to collect dust. Who is the album police that is going to investigate them? Who can prove that these "overseas undocumented" retailers are real or not?

This isn't 2012 anymore. Most overseas retail stores are Hanteo certified so there really shouldn't be over more than a 200k difference between Hanteo and Gaon.

Anyways, that's all I gotta say.

Approved the thread.
  • you would think after this argument was weaponized against BTS and then them blowing up and proving everyone wrong it would fade away but i guess not

• if it should be no more than 200k difference you basically calling into question the legitimacy of Stray Kids, Enhypen, NCT, Dream, Twice, BTS, Blackpink and many many more.

Do you seriously believe the entire big 4 is doing something dodgy? Really? You going with that?

• If they can cheat Gaon, why can't they also cheat Hanteo?

• Well, Enhypen has only 200k difference. Their Hanteo sales for Dilemna is 1million while Gaon is 1.2 million. With Answer, a repackaged — it’s 720k in Gaon, while it’s 600k plus in Hanteo.

But to be fair, Hanteo doesnt count some US stores I think like Target, Amazon and other stores in Japan. So if u have big sales in US ( should be reflected in BB200) & Japan then it’s possible for large gap too. Also, I dont think any company will set themselves up to reflect this x number of sales( Gaon) if it’s not closer to the truth. Why will they do that? Are they willing to pay more taxes with fake sales?

if it should be no more than 200k difference you basically calling into question the legitimacy of Stray Kids, Enhypen, NCT, Dream, Twice, BTS, Blackpink and many many more.

Do you seriously believe the entire big 4 is doing something dodgy? Really? You going with that?

• This isn't 2012 anymore. Most overseas retail stores are Hanteo certified so there really shouldn't be over more than a 200k difference between Hanteo and Gaon.

Anyways, that's all I gotta say.

Walmart is the largest retailer in the U.S. Amazon is the second. while Target is the 7th (3-6 don’t sell Kpop cds.) None of these are Hanteo certified.

• If they can cheat Gaon, why can't they also cheat Hanteo?

Nobody said they couldn't. Hanteo is just more reliable than Gaon because Hanteo is what's been purchased while Gaon includes shipped albums that can disappear into the aether and none would be the wiser.

• Nobody said they couldn't. Hanteo is just more reliable than Gaon because Hanteo is what's been purchased while Gaon includes shipped albums that can disappear into the aether and none would be the wiser.

Can't they also fake sales? HYBE has the Weverse Shop, SM has the SM Global Store, YG has the YG Select. All Hanteo certified. Can't they use their own shops to report fake sales?

What if they also have offshore certified stores to report fake sales?

• "Do you seriously believe the entire big 4 is doing something dodgy? Really? You going with that?"

Don't think I answered this, but not the "entire" big 4. Once again, I'm not naming names. As for if they would do something dodgy? Um, yeah? Did we really already forget YG is basically a crime hub and Lee Soo Man was wanted for tax fraud and even at one point I think even interpol (lol can't recall id that last one was actually true or not). Also JYP and his cult???

These are big businesses and where there is money there is corruption.

If anything, it's because they are big companies with connections and influence that they are more likely to get away with whatever dodgy stuff they might do. Gotta bring up YG again, just because how he's literally been to court for low key threatening someone's life to protect their idol. Kpop is not as clean as it looks on the surface guys.

If a big company does inflate sales, most people aren't going to suspect them because "company stans" and "brand power" is why they sell so much. Companies can inflate sales to boost their rookies and fans would blindly defend it without question. They can also pay for awards and bribe for more screen time on shows.

Ofc I'm not saying they so this all the time. Just usually to boost their groups if or when they may need it. Most probably for their rookies or if they want to keep their groups relevant.

• Walmart is the largest retailer in the U.S. Amazon is the second. while Target is the 7th (3-6 don’t sell Kpop cds.) None of these are Hanteo certified.

I've purchased albums from Amazon before though, and unless the details are lying, they've all said it counted toward Hanteo and Gaon. Either way, just because they are the largest retailers doesn't mean fans buy from those sites. Most Kpop fans buy from sites like Kpoptown or other online retailers that guarantee that their sales will count. Either way though, my point still stands. It can still be done.

• Can't they also fake sales? HYBE has the Weverse Shop, SM has the SM Global Store, YG has the YG Select. All Hanteo certified. Can't they use their own shops to report fake sales?

What if they also have offshore certified stores to report fake sales?

Not sure exactly what you are asking here? You're saying why they don't use their own stores they know are affiliated with Hanteo to inflate sales? I Just answered this. Why would they?

• Not sure exactly what you are asking here? You're saying why they don't use their own stores they know are affiliated with Hanteo to inflate sales? I Just answered this. Why would they?

So they would inflate Gaon, but not Hanteo?

• If you don't want to trust numbers you shouldn't trust either

• External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

700,000 x 0.2 = 140,000

140,000/9,000= 15.5

16 albums per fan is not an illogical number due to multiple versions and bulk buying fans

• Well, Enhypen has only 200k difference. Their Hanteo sales for Dilemna is 1million while Gaon is 1.2 million. With Answer, a repackaged — it’s 720k in Gaon, while it’s 600k plus in Hanteo.

But to be fair, Hanteo doesnt count some US stores I think like Target, Amazon and other stores in Japan. So if u have big sales in US ( should be reflected in BB200) & Japan then it’s possible for large gap too. Also, I dont think any company will set themselves up to reflect this x number of sales( Gaon) if it’s not closer to the truth. Why will they do that? Are they willing to pay more taxes with fake sales?

Some people here don't pay taxes so they don't even think about that aspect.

• So they would inflate Gaon, but not Hanteo?

As I said, why would they? The benefit of Gaon is that the albums are shipped overseas and thus out of the hands of anyone in Korea who would care enough to try and spend all that effort to investigate where a bunch of albums went in a completely foreign country with foreign laws.

I mean, if you had the choice between riding your bike up a huge hill or taking the stairs wouldn't you go with the easier and less dangerous one?

• The group you stan can't sell albums or something?

• Ok. But I would prefer to keep specific groups out of this. In spite of how this thread may look on the surface I really don't want a mess to start. Was just sharing my thoughts on the topic. It's fine to disagree with me.

• The group you stan can't sell albums or something?

Haha, you wish. But what does it matter? The money they make isn't going in my pocket, is it? Like I've said plenty already. This is just my thoughts on the topic. I didn't recently start thinking this. I've had these thoughts on album sales in Kpop for at least 3 years now. I just so happen to be bringing it up now, on a whim really.

• ??why u so bothered about it??so what kpop groups can't sell many albums and only bts can??

• Haha, you wish. But what does it matter? The money they make isn't going in my pocket, is it? Like I've said plenty already. This is just my thoughts on the topic. I didn't recently start thinking this. I've had these thoughts on album sales in Kpop for at least 3 years now. I just so happen to be bringing it up now, on a whim really.

So you doubt your faves too? Their sales are inflated by the company?

• idc, enhypen are safe, they sell huge and have a completely normal gap between hanteo and gaon sales.

yg artists, on the other hand, get dragged to hell due to the mediaplay their company does when in the end, numbers show clearly there was a manipulation

• I am doubtful too especially if big sellers can’t have high streams in both their own country and internationally.

• we all know which group you're talking about, dont worry, only their fans think that it's not suspicious

• we all know which group you're talking about, dont worry, only their fans think that it's not suspicious

what gp?op is like saying most kpop groups who sell a lot have fake numbers.

• op screams insecurity. i feel sorry for you.

there there. ¬‿¬

• They are business man. In reality, most of them want lower tax and bigger sales. No capitalists will inflate their sales to pay more taxes foe nothing unless they are money launderers. 😂Some people here have no sense of reality and love conspiracy theories.

Some people here don't pay taxes so they don't even think about that aspect.

• I am doubtful too especially if big sellers can’t have high streams in both their own country and internationally.

as if fans dont mass stream in SK, melon doesnt have filtering mechanism, isnt it? But charting in SK has nothing to do with physical sales, in case u dont know yet— GP’s taste in Korea is NOT the standard . It’s only one country with over 50million population.Physical sales equal fandom size globally; digitals in SK - GP support , and they may not even care nor loyal to the group.

• what gp?op is like saying most kpop groups who sell a lot have fake numbers.

no capitalists will inflate their sales to pay more taxes unless they are money launderers. The OP maybe insecure coz his/her fave physical physical sales are low 😂

It's beyond amusing to me the logic you use. Sales come from all over the world while domestic charts are based on Korea only. There's nothing suspicious in getting high sales internationally while low charting in Korea because it only means the group has a bigger fandom internationally than domestically

• I'm just curious til when this album sales boom gonna keep ongoing. One group hailed as the next xxx experience 300k decrease in their latest cb. With covid restrictions easing and touring starts again, it may happen soon imo since people won't spent that much money to buy the same multiple albums anymore.

• I believe SM inflated numbers for nct 127 but their fans say it's because of distribution. Shipments are not equal to actual sales and it is bad practice for a company to ship so many albums to increase gaon "sales". You have to ask yourself this question- "Is NCT 127 as popular as BTS globally?" and the answer is a no which means their gaon numbers have been inflated by the company. Hanteo sales is also not actual sales because not every store is hanteo certified especially the overseas stores. The true sales lies somewhere between hanteo and gaon and it depends on overseas fans' buying practices.

• I don’t have any issues with kpop groups pulling these album sales on gaon. And I think BTS shouldn’t be used as the standard here.

Because unlike these groups BTS actually were charting on Country’s charts with no distribution. So we could still see demand even with their huge hanteo and gaon gap. Over the years some stores are getting certified by hanteo. Even recently I remember seeing Butter at target being counted towards hanteo

5CD87A6E-8884-4EA6-A4CA-C9C3E1B5D44D.png

• I've always doubted this physical sales boom. I don't know the reason why they increased so much and all we can do is speculate. The main reason people agree with is corvid and lack of touring. But I don't think I agree. There might be other reasons we just don't know.

What makes me suspicious is how sales have more than tripled but streams and digitals have only slightly improved or not at all. Some have regressed actually. Not just for the usual groups this is usually aimed at but across the board (apart from bts whose streams exploded).

Groups are selling 500k on average but are nowhere to be seen on kcharts, spotify or youtube. Like a bg is selling 370k but they chart out of melon1000, get 50k spotify streams and have 30m yt views mostly from ads. So you're left wondering who is buying all these albums?

A lot of groups are now charting top10 on bb200 but why can't they get enough sales and streams to chart on bubbling under at the very least? It wouldn't take that many sales and the chart has been very weak recently but no one has had a breakthrough

• This thread contains 42 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!