Chinese Movie Industry is Massive!

• In all fairness to KPOP/Drama/Films, China is the center of the Asian entertainment market. There is nowhere else in Asia that can generate this kind of income.

https://mobile.twitter.com/varietyglobal/status/1361040401482739712

https://variety.com/2021/film/…year-2021-1234907891/amp/

"February 14, 2021 10:11am PT

China Box Office Hits Huge $775 Million Holiday Weekend, Led by $424 Million ‘Detective Chinatown’ Debut

By Rebecca Davis

Detective Chinatown 3
    Courtesy of WanDa Pictures

China made history this weekend with record sales of nearly $775 million (RMB50 billion) within the first three days of the Chinese New Year holiday, led by an incredible $424 million (RMB2.74 billion) debut from “Detective Chinatown 3.”

Why do I watch survival shows? This!

• and its nit just the film industry

its their entire entertaient industry as well

vareity shows, information/education shows, dramas, singing etc are all so huge

• it's the biggest country in the world, this is a no brainer.

there's a reason why disney and other american film studios cater to chinese market and stopped portraying chinese people as villains. they are even willing to work with governments that are accused of severe human rights abuse just so they could get those coins (them failing to achieve success in such film gives me joy)

• and its nit just the film industry

its their entire entertaient industry as well

vareity shows, information/education shows, dramas, singing etc are all so huge

Yes, the whole C-ent industry is large but films are really the top rung because they set the trend for music and style as well. Next comes drama.

• but thats the same in most entertainment industries like hollywood and korea

The movie actors are top billed and respected then drama actors then others...

• it's the biggest country in the world, this is a no brainer.

there's a reason why disney and other american film studios cater to chinese market and stopped portraying chinese people as villains. they are even willing to work with governments that are accused of severe human rights abuse just so they could get those coins (them failing to achieve success in such film gives me joy)

There are a lot of countries with big populations that has little or no money in their box offices. India might have a bigger population than China now but it's box office is much smaller and is actually not much bigger than Korea's.

Hollywood caters to the Chinese market? I see no Chinese or any East Asian leading stars from Hollywood. Not making movies stereotyping Chinese as villains like Fu Manchu any more doesn't make up for white racism in Hollywood against East Asians in general or Chinese people in particular. Even Mulan was scripted and directed by white people for white people. That's why it failed.

• but thats the same in most entertainment industries like hollywood and korea

The movie actors are top billed and respected then drama actors then others...

Yes but the significance here is that Hollywood and the English-speaking film industry had always had the largest box office and so exert outsized influence even on East Asia and China itself.

But with China emerging as the largest film market, this will change things in China and maybe across East and Southeast Asia as well.

Hollywood gets a large chunk of its BO from China. For example, Avengers:Endgame made over $600M in China. If the Hollywood blockbusters get replaced by Chinese films in China it will weaken white cultural hegemony in a big chunk of East Asia.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!