Clarification about petitions on the basis of the Snowdrop show reactions

• After the whole Snowdrop reaction thing happened recently, it came to my attention that there is a huge petition going on to cancel the show. In the beginning I thought it was something like the online petitions that happen sometimes when people get angry about rotten tomatoes scores or something like that, but I then realized that it was an official petition for the Korean government officials to cancel the show. Does the SK government actually have the powers to intervene and cancel a show, or stop the release of a movie, or retract a song, ban a novel etc?

Just to clarify, I have no horse in the race about the show, I am curious though if the SK government can intervene in such a way in matters of artistic expression and creativity.

• here this should help

Petitions to Blue House - Wikipedia

but since SK is democratic country they can't force a show to stop airing. they will listen to the people's concern and give answers/ their stance.

I personally like this petition system, since its has the stipulation that the government must answer within 30 days for petitions over 200,000 sig. keeps the government accountable and helps people voice concerns directly to the gov.

• read through some of the answers. They really are all over the place. I guess it helps for allowing the public to vent and be acknowledged by the government, but I don't see how it practically helps on matters of court decisions and the like. I have no problem with this scheme, as long it does not offer the government an excuse to stifle personal expression and artistic liberty. Thanks for your comment.

• read through some of the answers. They really are all over the place. I guess it helps for allowing the public to vent and be acknowledged by the government, but I don't see how it practically helps on matters of court decisions and the like. I have no problem with this scheme, as long it does not offer the government an excuse to stifle personal expression and artistic liberty. Thanks for your comment.

Yes it doesn't really offer concrete solutions. More of a way for citizens to voice their opinions. I think the change usually occurs through soft power with the companies/ individuals in involved in petitions being put in a spotlight.

Edited once, last by ultraaviolet ().

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!