JAPAN ORICON BEST SELLING KOREAN ACTS THIS YEAR

• not surprised based on the kind of stuff they keep releasing in jp..

Don't get me wrong - the management in Japan is ridiculous from JYPE and Warner Japan. Nizi have also cannibalised some of Twice's market.

But even looking outside of Twice girl group physicals aren't very impressive anymore. Izone dropping a 100k sales in a year despite being a fresh group still and Nizi already dropping (will be interesting to see how their album does).

Twice went from being able to sell 350k in back to back weeks (so moving 700k odd physicals in just two weeks) in 2019 to barely being able to move 100k for a single just over a year later in 2020. Twice in 2021 don't even reach a 100k for a single on Oricon anymore. Stray Kids released the other week and their single outsold Twice's despite there being a chasm in popularity between the two in Japan.

Even looking at the 2nd gen - SNSD sold 650k odd in 2010 for their album, then their album the next year sold 204k. Kara have something similar. Seems an odd pattern because even after Twice's sales dropped, they were still getting a million applicants for the Japanese leg of their tour so their recognition is still there. Just feels like Japanese fans stop buying physicals pretty quickly for girl groups.

I'm curious how long it takes for another kpop girl group to capture Japan like Twice did as there performance there just feels more anomalous as time goes on. They were the biggest kpop act there irrespective of bg and gg's until 2020 you'd say.

• GG sales struggling.

Twice used to do 350k-400k with one release, now multiple releases doesn't get them there. Nizi sales are down 90k odd from their debut release already. Izone's last release in Japan sold near 135k, nearly a 100k less than their penultimate one just the year before. In contrast, bg sales keep rising.

Looks like the shift to digitals is going to overtly impact girl groups when it comes to physicals even in Japan (for Korean groups anyway where you have less in person events). As I'm sure Twice's touring power in Japan will be as strong as ever and bigger than every group on the list bar one.

Yeah, I think their streams went up 2.5x in about a year, definitely seems like ggs follow closer to the more general trend of consumption rather than the kpop niche

• I thought TXT would be higher. Ah their growth really is stairs, not elevator. It's frustrating to watch them get surpassed though, although they do eventually catch up. It just takes a while.

At this point, I'd rather TXT have a steady growth over explosive growth. and they're far from unpopular in Japan.

I also thought txt would be higher but idk if txt will surpass enhypen in Japan. Enhypen has a japanese member Ni-ki and his fanbase is pretty big.

I-land as a whole got them a Japanese fanbase, not just Niki.

Yeah this is true. I keep forgetting that. I'm terrified of TXT being overshadowed and forgotten. It's probably an irrational fear...

I get this is a fear, but when they sell 698k for a repack on top of 835k for the standard issue, I think their next comeback will show they're not here to play.

Is he.....you know?

투모로우바이투게더 방탄
    레드벨벳엑소샤이니에이티즈

• Yeah, I think their streams went up 2.5x in about a year, definitely seems like ggs follow closer to the more general trend of consumption rather than the kpop niche

Yeah streams have been up a lot. It only takes a few months for streaming certifications.

The Japanese market is the slowest to move but looks like it is slowly getting there. Twice's fanbase in Japan trends more female than its base in SK (not sure about other groups) which may explain why they are overtly getting impacted.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!