Sound of kpop : fight the patriarchy support girl groups

• I have seen recently many akp users talk about twice potential downfall/ decrease in interest amongst the gp. With many alluding to the change in sound. (Same can be said about gfriend)

However then again, I see many complaining about black pinks music, so that is no longer fresh and original.

So how important is it for a kpop group to have a distinctive sound. Especially for girl groups that traditionally have needed to rely on gp since it is harder for them to amass large fandoms unlike boy groups

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• I think a group needs to debut (and for their rookie years) with a distinct sound...that way people will recognise you and your style i guess but after your rookie years I think a group can experiment somewhat

• I think this standard is kind of stupid. They are groups that can do whatever they want. If you don't like it, unstan. To be honest I feel like this is something that haters use.

When Blackpink was doing KTL, D4 and HYLT people were complaining about them doing the "same" sound. Then they switched concepts and sound for Ice Cream.

People complained that it wasn't a good song. Then they did it again for LSG. People wanted them to go back to their old sound and didn't support it as much as the other ones(talking internationally).

Pretty much the same thing with Twice. People complained they were not changing their sound during their cute era and then they change and now suddenly those same exact people are missing the cute era.

What I am trying to say is, it is very inconsistent.

• Would the song be more widely accepted if it sounded good though. Like imagine if after red flavour, psycho by red velvet was released. Would the gp still have such an adverse reaction.

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• I think a group needs to debut (and for their rookie years) with a distinct sound...that way people will recognise you and your style i guess but after your rookie years I think a group can experiment somewhat

But yet it still not that consistent like what ArmyBlinkOnce0 said. Like clc, which consistently throughout their career lacked a strong core fanbase, yet they continued to change their style of music. I think the experimentation can only occur after you accumulate fanbase that does not require gp support anymore.

I guess it also doesn’t matter since your initial concept in the first place was overlooked

• Weitangent

Changed the title of the thread from “Sound of kpop” to “Sound of kpop : fight the patriarchy support girl groups”.
  • But yet it still not that consistent like what ArmyBlinkOnce0 said. Like clc, which consistently throughout their career lacked a strong core fanbase, yet they continued to change their style of music. I think the experimentation can only occur after you accumulate fanbase that does not require gp support anymore.

I guess it also doesn’t matter since your initial concept in the first place was overlooked

so is your point then it doesn't matter what sound you come with nor what you change it as long as you've built your fanbase?

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!