Is No One Hyped For The Diablo 2 Remaster (A Rant About Game Journalism)

• Is No One Hyped For The Diablo 2 Remaster (A Rant About Game Journalism)

A rant that involves Diablo 2 Remaster and Gaming Sites

So I've been dissatisfied with mainstream gaming sites for a long while. It seems like a lot barely talk about and cover games in a straightforward sense anymore, and their focus is often elsewhere, muddied with all manner of other entertainment like shows movies and the kitchen sink, and often focused on gaming through a political/activist lens (which is certainly a perspective but sometimes you just want it to be about the game man)....

Anyway...

So I've been hyping for the Diablo 2 Remaster. Like God this game is bringing back one of the biggest most influential games in all of gaming. D2 was my childhood. This is one of the biggest events coming.

And so I randomly saw on YouTube that the cinematic trailer was released. I'm thinking.... Oh big event! Watch it. Love it.

Then I go to the big gaming sites like Polygon/IGN etc and get excited to read their takes on it..... Look for it on the main pages and ..... Nothing....

Isn't this like a huge deal in gaming? Am I wildly out of sync with what's big right now. Admittedly I'm not keeping up with absolutely everything going on right now.

But I would have thought the cinematic release of the remake of one of the legendary games in gaming would be front page content? Or am I just wildly mistaken. Is this a non event.

Because I could care less about half the gaming tangential content they go front page with.

How is Diablo of all things non existent or buried level content? Is this the state of things?

(Admittedly maybe they got it buried somewhere. I didn't search exhaustively, but come on. This is topline stuff. Not minor leagues. It's fucking Diablo.)

Anyway. Had to rant somewhere.

I'm so pumped for this game.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Diablo 2 Remaster is just that, a remaster. The game itself is nothing new. So it doesn't strike me as outlandish that most gaming sites don't pay a huge amount of attention to it.

Plus, there are better gaming sites out there than IGN and Polygon.

Maybe I'm too old. To me Diablo is like Halo. It was one of the top franchises. The idea that main gaming sites wouldn't cover it is odd, even if it is just a remaster.

Man D3 must have really killed the IP if no one cares. (I played a little D3 but it paled in comparison to D1 and D2. It was clearly made by a team that didn't get Diablo in terms of atmosphere and style).

What are some recs for gaming sites? I was an OG IGN user from back in the day so I've stuck with them. Polygon I liked when they first came out but they pretty much tanked.

• I've played Diablo 2 Remaster open beta, and it was a and nice way to remember all things once again.

In same time gaming experience ain't that smooth as I expected. At this point I would even say it's sad they didn't use Diablo 3 engine and just type all old stories in, and change UI to look like in old D2...

I think Diablo 4 will have all hype, also I found whole 'buying' D2 Remaster very strange, this should be free for all those who already have D2 + Lord of Destruction CD's...

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• I've played Diablo 2 Remaster open beta, and it was a and nice way to remember all things once again.

In same time gaming experience ain't that smooth as I expected. At this point I would even say it's sad they didn't use Diablo 3 engine and just type all old stories in, and change UI to look like in old D2...

I think Diablo 4 will have all hype, also I found whole 'buying' D2 Remaster very strange, this should be free for all those who already have D2 + Lord of Destruction CD's...

You played the beta! Awesome!

What wasn't smooth? What didn't you like about it?

One of the selling points for me is that they didn't do it D3 style and were pretty much keeping OG D2 and giving it a new coat of paint.

I never liked D3. They World of Warcrafted it.

Anyway I'm excited and going to buy it first day as it's an easy way for me to play it again. It's one of my favorite games of all time.

• They do cover it but it's not their main focus. Diablo is first and foremost a PC franchise so there's a whole part of the gaming community (the console gamers) who has no emotional attachement to it. And I feel like gamers are more looking forward to Diablo 4 rather than Diablo 2 remaster. Diablo 4 is where the hype is/will be.

For gaming sites, I don't read many. The best ones I know are in my language. I like to visit pcgamer.com though. They also have a good, monthly magazine in the UK.

Then there are other sites I don't visit that often but I think are good: rockpapershotgun.com , destructoid.com .

I often go to Kotaku too, mostly in hope to find a silly news about Japan or something like that; they're also very active, with many articles published a day even though when it comes to video games, they're a bit too woke to my taste (like Polygon).

• I honestly see no point in remastering Warcraft 3 and Diablo 2 when you can still play the original version. Gaming companies are just becoming lazy. You can at least justify a PlayStation or Nintendo remaster because there's no backwards compatibility. But not an Xbox or PC remaster.

• I honestly see no point in remastering Warcraft 3 and Diablo 2 when you can still play the original version. Gaming companies are just becoming lazy. You can at least justify a PlayStation or Nintendo remaster because there's no backwards compatibility. But not an Xbox or PC remaster.

Well Diablo 2 is not on Xbox. It's PC and Mac only. (I don't know about Warcraft I never played that game)

So for people like me that are fans of the series and are more console gamers now this is a god send.

The idea of Diablo 2 on Xbox is exactly what I want.

• Dunno how to describe it, the way you hit a mob? you know when you are trying to left click at monster and point but you somehow miss, and I'm not talking about being bad at offense as player. I'm talking about the way they added those better graphics and effects on 'old base'.

Honestly for example I didn't play Path of Exile for a long time and I also know it as much as I've known Diablo 2 in the past, but the remaster kind of didn't hype me enough to pay for it. At least not when it costs 40 euro... maybe later at some 'sales' when price will be closer to 25 or even 20 euro.

So now I'd rather wait and if I feel to play such game I would either play D3 or just update Path of Exile client, and have fun for free.

External Content www.youtube.com

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!