What do you think of Day6 chances in the Western market?

• You misuderstood, i only said that 'where i live', which means there is rock music from our country and other countries around, that is more popular. Not international of course. That's why i was saying it's hard to assume internationaly, since every nation has different perspective. I was not try to downplay japanese bands at all, i do believe they are popular.

Oh yeah. Obviously local popularity is a different story

• From an international perspective, when it comes to Pop-leaning bands, Day6 would probably be grouped somewhere alongside names like Maroon 5, DNCE, Fallout Boy, Panic at the Disco, Paramore, and The Fray.

Because they come from a K-Pop agency, people are going to want to put them alongside other Pop names like One Direction and Why Don't We. I think Day6's music has better grooves, rhythmic appeal, versatility, and artistic merit that either of these two groups. I actually take Day6 more seriously based on what I have heard of their work. I listened to the first 11 songs on the Reddit list and checked songs in the first 11 of the South Korean list that weren't on the Reddit list.

I think most of the songs I heard are easy to listen to. English versions could easily catch ears if placed in (Netflix) shows and movies and the right online music streaming outlets where people can discover their English-language songs based on other bands and artists listened to (Spotify, iTunes Music, etc.). What makes them stand out are things like they can hit 3/3 time signature R&B tracks like "Where The Sea Sleeps" and sing across a group much better than one with just a single front wo/man. I don't think we've had a Pop band with soul-touching harmonies in the West since like Hanson and BBMak.

If Day6 has any song placements on popular show or movie smashes (including anime), they could also get the English version of the song place with various dubs. Day6 should continue to organically create and at least do a "soft hop" with a digital full-English version of their next J or K-album before doing a "hard jump" into a full-English album.

I think an English version of a J-album like Unlock could make it more accessible to people that don't have any threshold for languages they may not understand. I actually have to listen to Unlock again. That might be a skipless album. I still believe in buying a physical copy of skipless albums.

• Doubling back after listening to the Unlock album. I could easily play the album from track 2 straight through to 10. This is on my "get" list for a physical copy. It's worthy. "Baby, It's Okay" has a super sweet cymbal ride in the chorus. The song could easily warm up a cold crowd.

• So glad you liked it :lover2::lover2:

Sure! I appreciate that you made a post about the group.

I ordered a copy of the Unlock album and If-Mata Aetara because I ride for the instrumental of "Baby, It's Okay" too.

If whatever album Day6 comes with next is solid, I hope their team is smart enough to see the value of having it also available in English. They could glean useful information from Spotify on other bands listeners of the English versions also listen to, if they are trying to figure out the right audience(s) to target in the US and UK for a full-tilt English-only album.

• Thanks for sharing the English version of "You Were Beautiful". The lyrics are very effective and the diction is in the 90s of percent. I already listened to the song like 8+ times now. Still pretty ridiculous that JYPE hasn't taken serious consideration of Day6 as an international group instead of limiting them to South Korea. Rock music has been bankable for a super long time and a broad variety of people also listen to Rock today. I'd buy the songs I listed in another Day6-related thread if there were full-English versions. They sing and perform international music, why not include an international language to match it?

JYPE really needs to look at what is the profit vs. expense ratio for Day6 compared to other groups on the current roster. If it is high, then they are criminally overlooking this group.

• did they already debut in japan yet?

japan love rock band.. should go try there

most of band in korea are more popular in japan lol

like n.flying, korea doesnt appreciate rock act

band are struggling to make name there

• did they already debut in japan yet?

japan love rock band.. should go try there

most of band in korea are more popular in japan lol

like n.flying, korea doesnt appreciate rock act

band are struggling to make name there

They did, they released a Japanese album, and even released 3 MVs

External Content open.spotify.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Thanks for sharing the English version of "You Were Beautiful". The lyrics are very effective and the diction is in the 90s of percent. I already listened to the song like 8+ times now. Still pretty ridiculous that JYPE hasn't taken serious consideration of Day6 as an international group instead of limiting them to South Korea. Rock music has been bankable for a super long time and a broad variety of people also listen to Rock today. I'd buy the songs I listed in another Day6-related thread if there were full-English versions. They sing and perform international music, why not include an international language to match it?

JYPE really needs to look at what is the profit vs. expense ratio for Day6 compared to other groups on the current roster. If it is high, then they are criminally overlooking this group.

I think for now fully going into the Western market might be a bit hard. Also considering that members might need to enlist in the next few years, going straight for the Western market now and then going on semi hiatus or member hiatus might be disruptive.

I think maybe releasing a few singles just to pique interest could work, but really release an English album once everyone is done with their military duties which will take a few years. Hopefully they still stay together after that.

Expense wise honestly I think Day6 is lower than other groups? They do most of their work, regarding music. They don't hire a lot of producers, since they work closely with a few so there isn't a need to pay that many people. No need for choreographers also. As for concerts, it's not like they need extravagent backup dancers or elaborate stage props as well because what's most important is their voice and their instruments. Well maybe except that 1 time where they had an entire orchestra to perform 2 songs.

• ic, its fine then.. they should focus on japan i think

rock band didnt promote like idol group

they make money mostly on tour, live concert

• ic, its fine then.. they should focus on japan i think

rock band didnt promote like idol group

they make money mostly on tour, live concert

I think 1 really good way for Day6 to get recognised, is to do an opening theme for a popular anime. Not only it can broaden their reach in the Japan market, Western fans who do watch the anime might also get interested

• I think 1 really good way for Day6 to get recognised, is to do an opening theme for a popular anime. Not only it can broaden their reach in the Japan market, Western fans who do watch the anime might also get interested

yes its a good way, 2pm and stray kid also get anime op

wish day6 can get too

• Very low.

Because the band music scene is already a thriving scene... maybe few international acts perform on the warped tour but like to break out here is unlikely.

Dancing idols are a novelty tho the scene isn’t nearly as thriving. Tho. So idol groups are the best bet.

I actually was thinking that because band is a thriving scene, which might make it easier for Day6 to actually get popular since people do like bands. But of course the competition would be huge so maybe that's the obstacle

• I think 1 really good way for Day6 to get recognised, is to do an opening theme for a popular anime. Not only it can broaden their reach in the Japan market, Western fans who do watch the anime might also get interested

Yes, as touched on previously..especially if it connects in a solid way. Day6 already has songs that connect in a nostalgic way. That is pretty unique for a K-Pop group.

• I actually was thinking that because band is a thriving scene, which might make it easier for Day6 to actually get popular since people do like bands. But of course the competition would be huge so maybe that's the obstacle

icy here is my opinion.

They are more likely to be more popular in the U.K area. The U.K loves bands(I am not kidding) and they would probably eat Day6 up. In the U.S, it is going to be a little harder since artists that don't really focus on pop have a hard time breaking in. But if they build a strong fanbase then yes. But JYP is horrible at promoting their artists in the west. All I know is that first Day6 needs to get noticed by kpop fans around here(west). Before coming to the akp forums I didn't know what Day6 was so I think what they need is a huge hit among int kpop fans and the rest will come along.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!