THREAD FOR PEOPLE WHO DEALS WITH OVERBEARING/CONTROLLING PARENTS!!!!

• I'm so stressed about my current situation. I can't do anything in my life because of my strict mother. I feel so bad to think this way because she only does this so I can be safe but I am literally living in a jail ever since I was born;( I always say I love my mom but deep down inside of me I am growing a resentment towards her and I;m just counting the days until I can move out. But the problem is... the closer that day comes the more i realize that even if i move out she will still be controlling everything I do like hawk. My mom is a really good person and I don't want to hurt her but I don't see out relationship lasting after I move out and it makes me so sad to think about. </3</3 Does anybody else have the same situation or experienced the same in the past? SHould I just let her control me for the sake of our relationship or should I go on my own path??

• My mom was similar, though I grew up in an era where it was harder to control and keep tabs on kids, so I got a bit more freedom.

It's may not be the answer you want to hear, but separation (once you can) can really help that situation. I currently talk to my mom 1-2 times a year, maybe. I had to have that separation because I needed to be out in the world and stand on my own. She couldn't control me if she didn't know what was happening to me day by day.

It can be scary though, because when you cut that tie, you are truly on your own. But I believe you can do it!

If you want to get into a deeper conversation about you, feel free to DM me anytime.

I left my heart in LA again. Please continue taking good care of it.

• communication is key my friend

try to (if possible) sit down and focus on the underlying issues of why you believe certain things and why she believes certain things...try to listen to understand the other's perspective...

at least that way you can (and she can hopefully) gain some sympathy (if not empathy) for each other's perspectives...

• Have a honest to goodness chit chat which is easier said than done because these kinds of parents can be hard to reason with. If that becomes the case, just give her that ultimatum to move out but actually go through with it or it's just an empty threat that makes you look naive and dumb. You may think being away will permanently sever your ties but it can be a growing experience for both of you and realize what you both mean to each other.

• share your experiences with controlling parents too!

Story of my life. If you want real strict parents, check out mine. She is pretty much like a human security camera in my room. I even made this AKP account without telling her because she is monitoring my computer. It doesn't help I am still 13 and I am not allowed to do what most girls my age are and I am like the outcast. I can't have my own room, I can't have a social media account, I never really try to talk to her but she always lecture me every single day. She doesn't care if it's in front of my friends or not and it's embarrassing. She treats me like a 5 year old child.

I have to be very conservative with my dad since I get grounded, and trust me it is 10x worse than the average parent. Not only my parents be overprotective but also just plain unreasonable. Just DM me if you want an actual deep convo.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!