Wait so SNSD is considered 14th Anniversary?

• Lol oh yeah Korea has that funky age counting systemwhere you can be 2 years older at times

But 14 is the actual age of the group by 5th August. 2021-2007=14

• The age system only applies to humans though? :whatr:

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but yeah I think it only applies to humans because while you're in the womb that's considered the beginning of the life so when you're born you're already 1 year old (which doesn't really make sense as people can be born early and the usual 9 months obviously isnt a full year but whatever).

Then during new year everyone is 1 year older regardless of actual birthday. This means that people with birthdays later in the year can essentially be 2 years older for most of the calendar year until their birthday which then makes the the usual 1 year older

• Someone correct me if I'm wrong but yeah I think it only applies to humans because while you're in the womb that's 1 year so when you're born you're already 1 year old (which doesn't really make sense as people can be born early but whatever).

Then during new year everyone is 1 year older regardless of actual birthday. This means that people with birthdays later in the year can essentially be 2 years older for most of the year.

Yes, if you were born on December 25, 2000, you would turn 2 just a few days later, on January 1st 2001, in Korea.

One thing would be the way you count your age and anniversaries. December 25th 2001 would be your first birthday aka the first anniversary of your birth (dolchanji in Korean), but you would turn 3 legally a week later. So in the case of SNSD, as of January 1st 2021 they are a 15-year old group in Korean age, but it's still their 14th anniversary.

TL;DR: Basically your age changes every new year, but you celebrate your birthday on the day you were born.

• Yes, if you were born on December 25, 2000, you would turn 2 just a few days later, on January 1st 2001, in Korea.

One thing would be the way you count your age and anniversaries. December 25th 2001 would be your first birthday aka the first anniversary of your birth (dolchanji in Korean), but you would turn 3 legally a week later. So in the case of SNSD, as of January 1st 2021 they are a 15-year old group in Korean age, but it's still their 14th anniversary.

TL;DR: Basically your age changes every new year, but you celebrate your birthday on the day you were born.

Thanks for confirming.

So the age thing apply for non human things too? SNSD isn't a person, they're a group so they also have 1 year added on for the new year (I imagine they don't get 1 on top for their gestation period lol)? What about companies or products made/founded, do they also have their ages/years of operation changed?

• Thanks for confirming.

So the age thing apply for non human things too? SNSD isn't a person, they're a group so they also have 1 year added on for the new year (I imagine they don't get 1 on top for their gestation period lol)? What about companies or products made/founded, do they also have their ages/years of operation changed?

I think the system was made to be considered for humans only, but it could be applied in any case where you would talk about the age of something ("this thing is X years old" in Korean).

But it depends on the context, and there are not many situations in which you would talk about the age of an object. In Korean, you're more likely to say "I bought this pencil 3 years ago" (or "it's been 3 years since I bought this pencil", in literal translation), rather than "This pencil is 4 years old (in Korean age)" (it would sound strange, unless the pencil is a character or something).

This applies to the "age" of companies or organizations. If you want to talk about a 5-year old company you would say "a company established 5 years ago" (์ฐฝ์—…ํ•œ ์ง€ 5๋…„ ๋œ ํšŒ์‚ฌ or just 5๋…„ ๋œ ํšŒ์‚ฌ), and "This company is 5 years old" would be "it's been 5 years since this company was established" (์ด ํšŒ์‚ฌ๋Š” ์ฐฝ์—…ํ•œ ์ง€ 5๋…„์ด ๋˜์—ˆ๋‹ค), therefore not applying the age system (and we'd be talking about a company established in 2016). Or you could also say it was established in 2016 to avoid confusion.

It would be the same for groups too. SNSD are a group established in 2007/a group that debuted in 2007. So you would see in an article or headline "SNSD, a group that debuted 14 years ago, will be making a special appearance on You Quiz of the Block".

But if you're looking at it in terms of legal Korean age, SNSD is 15 years old. But I'm not sure how often you'd really say it irl (I just realized my own post above is confusing).

Take this with a pinch of salt since I'm not a Native Korean speaker (just someone who knows the language to an intermediate degree).

• :whatb: I don't get it.

2007 + 14 = 2021?

SNSD debuted in August, 2007.

In August, 2008, they would've celebrated their 1st anniversary as a group (2007+1)

In August, 2017, they had their tenth anniversary as a group (2007+10)

So this August would be their 14th anniversary, by all logic.

Or what am I missing? :/

'No more shall man have wings to bear him to paradise. Henceforth, he shall walk.'

SWJ1P.gif

• People think the Korean age system applies to this.

• What i was actually thinking was they were 13th anniv and considered 14th, but itโ€™s actually +1, but butterbutterly bought a valid point. Thatโ€™s actually how i see it too when it comes to general aging Korean system.

Participate now!

Donโ€™t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!