My father has made me really proud today

• So, as a backstory: my father is a somewhat conservative man, born and raised in a village, with old ideas about certain things, always telling me in my childhood and teenage years that I should do certain things, such as cooking and cleaning, because "I'm a girl", above other things. He is mostly a serious man with conceptions that you won't be able to change.

So, today I've been talking to him about certain matters and I he told me things that I wouldn't expect from him:

1. In my country, there's a debate about Sexual Education and its introduction to schools' classes : my father was like "I agree, it's a good thing for children to know about those things".

2. Following this point, I told him about how some people here are homophobes and don't want to have their children learn about LGBT+ : summary of my father's response "I see nothing wrong in teaching the children that people with different orientations exist and they deserve respect like everyone else. I've seen a lot of couples like this on the streets" (he worked in Germany and now he's working in Finland)

3. I've been telling him about a case where a local Youtuber has talked shit about an underage girl, 15 or 16 years old, that he saw more scantily dressed. The public held a backlash against him and his fans were defending him saying that "it was just a joke and did you see how girls these days are dressing? they should dress better" : so, not only my father was disgusted at the the fact that they were talking shit about an underage girl but his reaction to the clothes comment was "But what is their problem with her clothes? She can dress however she wants. This shouldn't be their business".

:pepelove1: Overall it made me really happy to hear him say such things!

• You don't have to feel sorry about this. It's not like a constant thing, since he's working in another country, I usually see him quite rarely.

And even then, it's not like he doesn't do anything. When I was a teenager, living only with him, he would cook for us, wash clothes, sew my and his pants, he would iron his shirts etc. It's just that he would always mumble about "women should do this/ that" while doing those things himself most times.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!