Spill your thoughts: Why do you think KPOP has many toxic and delusional fans?

• the root problem is that for some reason pop fans treat music as a competitive sport. They are like sports fans, and get their egos tied into the performance of their choices.

It's stupid, music is an art form, it shouldn't be a competition. And the toxicity actually hurts the industry and the artists.

Pop fans are like the anti-hipsters of the music world lol. They all want to be part of the most popular group.

• I think because of idols marketed like that. Some idols are forced to speak/act like given a script to them, the way their voice sound, their personality, and their appearance especially female idols always given short skirt.

• I've started these conversations before (a lot I like to get to know people and get to know different people's perpectives) so I think it's ok it isn't considered derailing...

Yeah I'm male 36 - Chinese Australian - basically Check out my introduction page lol

Hey I can perfectly respect your privacy and what you've said is enough for me

You have a degree (for now??) I didn't get the for me bit like can you lose your degree? Lol ^^ I mean if you have one they can't take it from you right?

I merely asked about your education be because you seemed very logical and reasonable so I thought you may have had a background in philosophy or something.

• Like i said, i'm obviously awkward at English haha :D what I meant with 'for now' was, this is the highest for now (BA is the highest for now).

It's not philosophy degree, but i am interested in it.

I was going to say I very much enjoyed our conversation and that I would follow you thank you the follow back. May our paths cross again and engage in some more health philosophical discussion or otherwise.

PS: you're English is very good btw

• Personally, I think it is because much of the fanbase is young impressionable people. Not everyone seems to realize when it comes to artists we can admire their music and public work but when you get to snooping in their personal lives for information they have not shared, or stalk their whereabouts, you are a stalker and you are very toxic.

I know this is not what people want to hear but I am here for the music and art, if they spill some tea on their careers or personal life, cool then I will discuss it with fellow fans but I do not want to push or shove for more details as I myself am a private person and HATE when people shove me for details on things they do not need to know about me. We should be appreciating their art and allowing them to have boundaries. The excuse of "well if they did not want us to ask about their personal stuff, they should not be a idol or musician" is a outright stupid excuse for being obsessive.

Being a fan girl or boy is one thing but when you get obsessed and start discussing starting relationships with people you don't know or making overtly sexual comments toward them. It gets highly concerning. These behaviors can sometimes lead to people acting like the Josh guy who is trying to get to Korea to try to murder Nayeon because she rejected his advances and attempts to propose a relationship with her, multiple times. This is now the third attempt he has made to take her life.

https://www.koreaboo.com/news/…eatens-kill-harm-threats/

https://www.koreaboo.com/news/…-stalker-korea-july-josh/

http://en.koreaportal.com/arti…tectnayeon-on-twitter.htm

Micah Forever

Benny's Smoll Bean

Minnie-SEC-Sig.png

• about the delusional part, i would say that agencies do everything to attract the most delusional people on earth. sometimes it feels like they dont look for music fans just delusional people. i mean, they make idols act gay just for the sake of fanservice, interacting with the opposite sex is awkward etc ... as long as the system dont change, those fans will be there.

about fanwars, nothing new honestly. my dad literally wish for players from the other teams to get physically hurt. and he isnt even one of the most hardcore sport fans.

i spent some time lurking on western stans twt and its not pretty either :/

so i think you should wonder about stan culture in general.

what i find weird tho and only kpop fans do is paying so much attention to companies. the hyperfocus on their every move is strange. i have no idea who are the CEOs of Columbia or Republic Records for example. I don't even know other agencies' name.

• I think it is because KPOP idols share contents of their lives that make some fans think (delusional) that they know them personally. Plus KPOP is really competitive (cuz of the fans) so it makes people wanna compete.

You've answered it. Compared to western fans I think kpop's more toxic

it's not just kpop. take a look at football fans for example. all fandoms are toxic.

Agree ^^

• it's because most fans are living their mean girls fantasy specially on twitter. they think they are the regina george when trolling or bashing idols or their fans when all they are are losers lol

also fans often live vicariously through their favorites so they feel like every achievement or failure of the idol group is theirs too. so when someone is doing better than their favs they feel the need to constantly bash others to make their favs look good.

there is also the kind of fans with savior complex that feel they can manage their favs career better and knows what's best for them so they constantly victimize their favs even when they dont need to. like these idols arent grown people who can make decision for themselves.

all that plus delulu fans who think they have a chance of dating idols makes up for a very very toxic environment.

• i've been in this community for 3 years and from my experience, op pretty much summed it up.

companies will use different marketing methods to keep fans hooked on their groups and continue being hooked on those groups. this includes delusional people. by supporting gay antics, giving fanservice, and their idols being shy around the opposite sex, it's as if they are asking for the delusional fans to jump on board with their group. it's honestly not even half the delusional fan's fault.

fanwars have been around ever since competitive games or sports have been around. wherever there's competition, there will be fights. i'm not supporting fights, don't get me wrong. but you can't stop it.

i agree that sports fans can be horrible, if not worse than kpop fans. i saw a clip where fans of a american football team got mad over something and started throwing sharp glass bottles onto the field. the referees were literally covering their heads and running away.

also, some kpop fans overanalyse everything... like kpop isn't that deep and it's clear they probably have nothing else to do in their life. kpop is a simply a music genre.

to end off this unnecessarily long post, i want to say this. the majority of kpop stans are young people who don't know any better. eventually, they will become adults and hopefully grow out of their actions. there is always a light at the end of the tunnel.

for now, let's all focus on the good things about the community and kpop.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!