Why are there still negative reactions to feminism in South Korea(and in most places in Asia)?

• Official Post

Obviously some examples of this in KPOP is when Irene was caught reading a feminist book and received backlash from it, or when Joy wore a feminist shirt and caught backlash from it as well.

But I was scrolling through Twitter and apparently there's an anti-feminism movement in South Korea because women are protesting against unequal treatment in the workplace.

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

And apparently in a survey, over 56% of men in their 20s said they would break up with their girlfriend if she was a feminist. Which is very concerning.

So why is Asia in general very behind on modern movements(like equality for women and LGBTQ+)?

• Because those labeling themselves as feminist tend to be misandrist and true gender equity activist rather called themselves "woman empowering/human right activist"?

• because (I will speak for what I understand and know from being Chinese and not the rest of asians)

it's because we are a very conservative society or at least the older generation is...

the traditional purpose of marriage is to have children...no other purpose...not love or sex or relationship but for children...and to a lightly lesser extend support...

because traditionally only in the family survives...the individual the sole wolf who does not have family support does not survive very long by themselves...

thus marriage for example is only between a man and a woman...so having non-man/woman relationships is frowned upon...

the cost of living in the major cities is so expensive that you literally cannot have or raise a child or buy a property (even rent is very expensive) without family support...

• Korea is still mostly a patriarchal country
    • A lot of women in Korea are participating by 'taking off the corset', meaning they stop doing the things women are 'supposed' to do, aka get married, have kids, long hair, makeup, bras, ect and this makes men mad
    • Men benefit from being on top and having females below them, they get more when girls get less
    • Feminists tend to not only protest for women's rights, but for many of the problems in Korea to change and this tends to create troubles for those who are alright with what is happening. They see us as a burden, and so we protest and fight harder
  • Let me talk about India since I used to live there.

For me, especially where I come from. Arrange marriages are very common. Heck, love marriages are looked very down upon on. Women are expected to get married when they reach a certain age, then have children.

Though there are more rights currently. There used to be a lot of things held back for women and some still practice that.

For example, not letting a women cook during their period because it is "dirty", expecting women to do things all house chores and sometimes not even letting them have a job.

I believe this all relates back to tradition, cultural/religious values. Women are expected to be people that help men along the way but never go above them. People are just used to being taught that women are below men.

• Apart from the cultural and philosphical reasons, certain things have happened with online feminists groups on Korea that have made a part of the public take them as crazy girls that hate men. I invite you to search about Megalia, Yang Yewon's controversial case, Gomtang's restaurant case (also controversial), etc. Cases like these made a part of the korean population pretty divisive and critical of the movement as they link them to these kind of things.

Neo got my back

bottom!Taeyong | Explore Tumblr Posts and Blogs | Tumgir

• its basically korean male incels vs korean sjw females. so gamergate but with the entire society

- incels are bitter women would rather be lonely than have sex with them + poor + restrictive society

- female sjws are bitter top tier men wont give them the time of day + poor + restrictive society

so they are taking out their frustrations on each other. anyway korean society will seize to exist in a couple of decades, they barely have any babies. even last year when i walked around seoul it felt so desolate there even full of buildings and malls. it would be a shame if there was a plan to replace them with another genetically divergent group that makes up a tiny portions of koreans

• The fact that these little man are scared of an emoji says it all

• Everything in this world has evolved but when it comes to women's right people seems to have a hard time letting go of these traditions

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!