what do you think of this new change in Billboard charting rules?

• Radio to have lesser weight?

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• paradis

Changed the title of the thread from “Armys, what do you think of this new change in Billboard charting? rules” to “Armys, what do you think of this new change in Billboard charting rules?”.
  • That's a welcomed change and it's gonna be beneficial for a lot of foreign non-english speaking acts coming into the western market and for KPOP acts charting.

Either way I am glad BTS managed to secure 3 number ones under the previous rule so no one can discredit them saying their charting success is only due to this change in rule etc. etc. the usual.

Changed the title of the thread from “Armys, what do you think of this new change in Billboard charting rules?” to “what do you think of this new change in Billboard charting rules?”.
  • I mean, it's a good news for any kpop fan ?

Or for any non-english song, for that matters.

I'm wondering about the reason behind this change.

• Is it me or I feel there are some hidden conspiracies behind this move??

Like think about it. Ever since BTS started dominating on billboard so many rules and changes have come up within this short period. From releasing global charts to canceling bundles to stopping social artist chart and then to changing their radio scores. And coincidentally except for the bundles the rest of the factors are all related to BTS in some way or another :whatr:

• im going to edit the title. You cant segregate users to your content especially if it relates to other artist not just bts. It's an open forum.

And this is ... well... did they do it for kpop fans? I would hope not. I wanted a kpop group to hit it big on the radio would have made the top 10 charting much sweeter.

no, they're not doing this for kpop fans. they have been struggling with payola, and now even it's not obvious some labels go straight to the radio djs to make deals. also now music listeners leans more towards streaming platforms.

• Why do all of your descriptions feel like BTS is battling against a great Radio conspiracy? Anyways, don't have a stake, but I imagine even less people are listening to the radio during the pandemic, and of the people that were, it was probably an older part of the population. Radio is kinda useless now that you can stream whatever songs you want, so there's that.

• im going to edit the title. You cant segregate users to your content especially if it relates to other artist not just bts. It's an open forum.

And this is ... well... did they do it for kpop fans? I would hope not. I wanted a kpop group to hit it big on the radio would have made the top 10 charting much sweeter.

Well I was only interested in discussing it with Armys, but yeah whatever.

Dynamite did hit it big on radio btw.

• Why do all of your descriptions feel like BTS is battling against a great Radio conspiracy? Anyways, don't have a stake, but I imagine even less people are listening to the radio during the pandemic, and of the people that were, it was probably an older part of the population. Radio is kinda useless now that you can stream whatever songs you want, so there's that.

I am guessing you have no idea how US charting works and what BTS have been going through for years...anyways since you have no stake it makes sense that you would not know.

• Is it me or I feel there are some hidden conspiracies behind this move??

Like think about it. Ever since BTS started dominating on billboard so many rules and changes have come up within this short period. From releasing global charts to canceling bundles to stopping social artist chart and then to changing their radio scores. And coincidentally except for the bundles the rest of the factors are all related to BTS in some way or another :whatr:

You do realise that all the changes they have made recently have actually benefitted BTS since they don't do bundles, don't rely on user generated YT views and don't rely on radio either, so I don't get this line of thought.

• Since when did you go anti-Kpop? Don't you want to see Twice make it big in the west?

• Radio is by far the most easily manipulated metric that counts for charting, especially now that bundles took a hit, so I'm really happy about this. We still have to see how much exactly they reduced its weight tho, to figure out if there will be a big enough difference or if this is just in response to the payola stuff.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!