How to stop people from interupting conversations?

• My friend is an orphan and he was talking about a difficult personal situation and his aunt keeps burgeoning on about how she has wheezing and how she hasn't eaten any fruit cus of it and its so pathetic. Her teenage kids do bare minimum work like lay the table and she praises em like they mother theresa while my friend planted the whole garden and I didn't even know till I asked him why he knew so much about the plants there.

She always does this and invalidates what my friend says like saying atleast he has them he's not alone. He was in an terrible orphanage till he was 18 and none of them even went to visit him. He rarely even opens up and I find it awkward to ask him again and bring his mood down. I wanna tell that aunt it ain't a competition but she holds grudges and might stop me from seeing him. I hate these stupid ass caregivers man. I wanna call him home but my senile mum and my stupid ass joint family will slut shame me.

Desbundar

• I think you should be honest to her that she sound completely obnoxious when she interrupt your conversations with him as if she's competing about who's got more struggles. I think it would be nice if you brought up what he had done to the conversation and you can tell him he can be your friend even if she try to stop you from seeing him. He's over 18 he should at least choose who tf he wants to talk to.

Idk though there's many ways to look at it.

narcissistic, my god i love it

JCsIq3Q.gif

• ok i read that but i'm not understanding who is interrupting the conversation and how?

My friends aunt keeps interupting my friend to talk about her own petty problems when he's tryna open up about a really really serious issue.

I think you should be honest to her that she sound completely obnoxious when she interrupt your conversations with him as if she's competing about who's got more struggles. I think it would be nice if you brought up what he had done to the conversation and you can tell him he can be your friend even if she try to stop you from seeing him. He's over 18 he should at least choose who tf he wants to talk to.

Idk though there's many ways to look at it.

Thank you. Yeah I noticed this habit of hers for a while now and its so sickening. I try to compliment the garden or food he made and she takes credit for that aswell like she gave him the idea or she taught him to cook or her extrodinarily smart kid brought the bowl it was in. They are the only family he has and they owe him his inheritance so they play around with him.

If I were you, I would just tell him/her honestly

She doesn't respond to criticism well. She mopes with her husband that I dont eat the food she cooks or i dont talk excessively to her pretenious kids when all they talk about is some competition they won 3 years ago for the 100th time. Then he comes and starts a monologue on how important food is and how kids bring joy. All this eats into the little time I have with my friend...

If you confront her, she may reciprocate it to your friend. I think you could just act as uninterested as possible if she's start talking

Thats true aswell. I dont want to put him in trouble. This one time I called him to hang out at a friends place so he can talk freely and shit hit the ceiling at home for him. He called me crying and she pulled the phone and her pretentious kids are trying to wrestle for it as well to complain about him. So rn home is the only option. I think I'll try keeping a straight face cuz they will interpret anything as interest.

Desbundar

• Serendipity2000

gotcha...well then you should speak to your friend who should speak to his aunty

it's ultimately up to your friend to decide to stand up to people who, in this case seems to be bullying him, because in life we cannot always rely on others to fight for us but as a friend you can encourage your friend to slowly come out of his shell to be more ASSERTIVE not aggressive and learn to stand up for himself because in the real world there is going to be a lot worse than just his aunty

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!