Is it safe to say BTS only surpassed BigBang because they sold out?

• BTS started out as just another BigBang clone but then when they started to gain some momentum they went from a hip hop group to a more tradional style boy group like TVXQ and that's when they took off.

BigBang on the other hand was the biggest boy group in the world in 2015 and went as far as a kpop group could go at the time. But unlike BTS they stayed true to who they were as a group and as artists. Their image and style had a ceiling and it reached it.

BTS decided to change because they knew they could reach a larger audience with their current persona. You can appeal to a much larger audience with Boy With Love compared to Bang Bang Bang. So it makes me take away points from BTS success cause they just morphed into whatever would work better globablly while BigBang stayed BigBang for their entire career.

You can't convince me if BTS stayed hip hop they would be where they are today. I swear everytime I compare these groups I'm blown away at how much better BigBang and their legacy (as artists) really is.

• Drew Drew Drew, since when did BigBong start out as a hip hip group? You are just as prehistoric as me so there's no way you don't remember BigBong started as the washed-up version of B2K before their switch-up?

If BigBong can switch their sound so can BTS

Animated GIF

• Life is uncertainty. BTS was not afraid to experiment, grow and embrace change. The analogy of a violinist and pianist is not applicable here because nobody can predict success.

• BTS charted in Billboard Bubbling Under with Spring Day, a very korean song.. and first charted in BBHot100 with DNA in 2017.. then mic drop, which is very much a hip hop song.. then they conquered the west with Fake Love and Idol in 2018 followed by Boy with Luv in 2019..

Their Loveyourself Tour in 2018 already in stadiums.. they did the sold out Wembley show in 2019.. how and when did they sold out? If you see the discography, BTS evolve and change with the times.. as they grow, their songs are a reflection of them growing up.. And when the pandemic struck, the year they was planning another world tour (but way bigger), they switched gear and chose happy and poppy songs like Dynamite, Butter and Permission to Dance as great mood lifter.. then they gave us Life Goes On, as a promise that better things will come after the pandemic.. It’s an amazing lifestory for sure.. Then it was chapter 2 for their solo projects..

I’m just wondering if there was no pandemic, what kind of songs would BTS released, especially with their record breaking world tour.. It must be bangers too..

Bigbang is amazing but I’m not sure if their legacy has not been tainted by Seungri and the Burning sun fiasco.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!