Compilation of Korean Acts on Year-End Lists in 2022: artists, albums and songs

• It's ok to have doubts!

I suppose CNN Philippines was the only one that shared a list of their favorite songs and albums of the year. And the same for other lists that are from one specific country. Or at least what they could find out. But If you are aware of more, you can share! So when they make the lists again next year, they might include even more infos from more sites.

Yeah when conducting "survey" or list I'm always interested on knowing the thought process on picking the sample since the results could wildly differentiate depends on the sample chosen.

• I don’t really get the thought process behind this. What kind of year end list is this supposed to be about? Also some groups had a compilation album out which critics hardly review. Shouldn’t they be excluded from this list in the first place because they don’t meet one of the criteria?

I don’t think it’s fair to still have them included and not provide context

• I don’t really get the thought process behind this. What kind of year end list is this supposed to be about? Also some groups had a compilation album out which critics hardly review. Shouldn’t they be excluded from this list in the first place because they don’t meet one of the criteria?

I don’t think it’s fair to still have them included and not provide context

The lists are in my 4th post. It's the best K-pop songs/albums of the year by multiple sites.

The methodology of points is the same as AOTY site. So the amount of points gained depends on the positions in the ranking or If It's a unranked list or not. I said in the 4th post too.

And about artists with compilation albums, they still were added due to fact they released new songs that could be reviewed and added in year-end lists of Best Songs. Same as the artists that only released singles.

Bankai: Minazuki

85e1d14897360f5af5426181e6b1e605126ab548.gifv

• The lists are in my 4th post. It's the best K-pop songs/albums of the year by multiple sites.

The methodology of points is the same as AOTY site. So the amount of points gained depends on the positions in the ranking or If It's a unranked list or not. I said in the 4th post too.

And about artists with compilation albums, they still were added due to fact they released new songs that could be reviewed and added in year-end lists of Best Songs. Same as the artists that only released singles.

So why does BTS have 0 points for album even though I’m seeing run BTS racking some points on another list?

• Which comes back to my first point. I really don’t think the anthology should be included because year end lists barely add compilations to their rankings.

BTS are already disadvantaged if you are including them in your list

The anthology wasn't included. They aren't on the albums ranking for It to be included.

They are only on the artists ranking and songs ranking. The artists ranking is just a general perception of the acumulated points of albums and songs. If they get enough points to be in the ranking only with the songs points, they will be there, because It was a system for all the acts who appeared on lists. I think It would make even less sense to ignore their existence.

But, It's okay. Of course, you are allowed to dislike the system If you want to. It was a fan-made by my friends who are simple other K-pop fans, to showcase the amount of lists each act appeared.

Bankai: Minazuki

85e1d14897360f5af5426181e6b1e605126ab548.gifv

• Interested to know the thought process behind including and excluding some list...

Like why pick CNN Philippine instead of other CNN region?

Are they the only CNN region that make the list?

Or why for Philippine country the list maker use CNN instead of music based media?

I'm choosing Philippine just for example btw...

The methodology was really simple, actually: we just counted whatever we could find.

Each and every credible website we could find on Google that created a ranking of k-pop made to the list, we also used general lists that charted k-pop songs, we counted all the lists that our friends saw and sent us, and the lists we intentionally searched for because we knew they already posted the ranking last year (like DAZED, for example). There are websites from multiple countries. South Korea, India, Philipines, Brazil, US, UK. Whatever we could find, we would count it. The only websites we intentionally discarded were the ones that didn't really have that much credibility, like some random blogs or websites like "the bias list". I don't know how my friend searched for the lists they found exactly, but I would just open google and put the terms like "best k-pop songs 2022" "best k-pop albums 2022" "best k-pop 2022" and filter to the results from december and january, and look through pages and pages to pick whatever we could find. I'm sure there are probably a few lists that we missed, since it is definitely NOT an easy task to search and count the huge amount of lists that you see in the first post on this thread, and not every list uses the same terms for the title, which makes it harder to find them on Google. But if there's any interesting list that you saw that we missed for this compilation, please send us so we can take notes and count it next year :)

• Which comes back to my first point. I really don’t think the anthology should be included because year end lists barely add compilations to their rankings.

BTS are already disadvantaged if you are including them in your list

Honestly, I think excluding them in purpose it's what would actually be really ofensive. There are artists in that list who released only 1 album, others that released 2 or 3, artists that had only 1 bside, others that had 2, others that 10, 20, and others that had none. We have artists like Sunmi who charted with only 1 single song and 0 albums. Everyone had different release patterns, so if I were to think that way in order to make the list, it wouldn't even be able to exist in the first place.

And honestly, NewJeans topped the list with 4 songs released, if we didn't count the album points they would still be top 2 or 3. So I don't really think the release pattern or the amount of releases is a big issue, but actually how much the songs and albums released were well-received. You don't think it's unfair when BTS wins AOTY at the award shows, right? Even though they are beating actually new albums with an anthology of old songs. So how would it be unfair to count them on this list?

I love BTS and have total respect for them, this is why they are on the list just like every other artist with 10+ points. I'm sure if I intentionally excluded them, people would be even more confused. So they're on the list, just like everyone else :)

• Also, guys, please don't take this list too seriously :sweat:

Me and my friend only did it for fun, we are not the Korean Association of Excellence or The Grammys or even Billboard, we are just two boys with an excell archive and a dream. Peace!

• The anthology wasn't included. They aren't on the albums ranking for It to be included.

They are only on the artists ranking and songs ranking. The artists ranking is just a general perception of the acumulated points of albums and songs. If they get enough points to be in the ranking only with the songs points, they will be there, because It was a system for all the acts who appeared on lists. I think It would make even less sense to ignore their existence.

But, It's okay. Of course, you are allowed to dislike the system If you want to. It was a fan-made by my friends who are simple other K-pop fans, to showcase the amount of lists each act appeared.

I doubt any army on akp is gonna complain about a list where BTS only meets half of the criteria.

Because still trying to include them is not fair to them

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!