Groups that self-produce music: Gidle, Ateez, Stray Kids, Seventeen. Do they make better music or not?

• Songwriting can include writing lyrics and/or melodies. She writes the lyrics, someone else is still writing the melody and arranging the songs. So it’s not accurate to say she’s the only songwriter.

Wut, she is the sole songwriter that includes the lyrics and the melody itself. Other people help with the producing, probably things like instrumentals, arranging, editing, rewriting, etc.

• Songwriting can include writing lyrics and/or melodies. She writes the lyrics, someone else is still writing the melody and arranging the songs. So it’s not accurate to say she’s the only songwriter.

Soyeon writes the melodies too.

Look at the Sun fiasco - the part in dispute was a vocal melody during the chorus, and Soyeon was the one to apologise for the inadvertent similarity (not Poptime, who helps her with songs arrangement and was also credited on that song).

• My apologies for missing her composition credits! I see she does indeed sometimes compose as well, she is credited for composition on three songs (My Bag Never Stop Me and Tomboy) on I Never Die by KOMCA. Even on these songs where she has written lyrics and music, there is still at least one other writer. That's interesting to know she provides the vision and direction for the other writers and producers!

You really are a font of misinformation or very insufficient checking of facts.

Soyeon has composition credits on 4 songs on I Never Die - she also composed Villain Dies.

• What break out moment?????

New fans who mass buying albums and a couple more social media follwing??? Please be fr.

BTS took majority of the daesangs, next to Lim this year, and more award shows are coming up and BTS still gonna sweep.

So what break out our you talking about????

• My apologies for missing her composition credits! I see she does indeed sometimes compose as well, she is credited for composition on three songs (My Bag Never Stop Me and Tomboy) on I Never Die by KOMCA. Even on these songs where she has written lyrics and music, there is still at least one other writer. That's interesting to know she provides the vision and direction for the other writers and producers!

And every song she does not have composition credits on (she is always the primary composer when she has btw) it's either Minnie or Yuqi who has. Ever since Hann (2018), there is no (G)I-dle song that does not have a member composition credit on it (I'm not counting ost or stuff like that)

• You really are a font of misinformation or very insufficient checking of facts.

Soyeon has composition credits on 4 songs on I Never Die - she also composed Villain Dies.

My apologies that I missed a song.

I just don’t understand why people are running around claiming she’s the only songwriter on the songs when she’s not (and that’s easily verified in Spotify or KOMCA), which was my original point and still true, instead of the much more interesting truth this person explained here.

Soyeon composes the melodies too. For every song she comes to the studio with a demo, then works it out with a senior producer.

It's true she's not the only songwriter, but she's like the director on all her songs. The people she works with help her to accomplish her vision.

This is really interesting and impressive and helps provide context for the work she does. I don’t understand why fans don’t tell this story instead of claiming she’s the only songwriter.

• BTS and Gidle are the only ones who self produce tho. The others just add one word in the songs and call that writing.

• My apologies that I missed a song.

I just don’t understand why people are running around claiming she’s the only songwriter on the songs when she’s not (and that’s easily verified in Spotify or KOMCA), which was my original point and still true, instead of the much more interesting truth this person explained here.

This is really interesting and impressive and helps provide context for the work she does. I don’t understand why fans don’t tell this story instead of claiming she’s the only songwriter.

Because it's more convenient this way to make the distinction between primary credits and secondary credits. There are idols who have a writing credit because they penned a rap or a few lines, and there are those who birthed the songs they're credited on. Idle fall in this latter category; without Soyeon there would be no Latata, no Hann, no Tomboy, etc.

• Kim Hongjoong has composed songs yes, more than forty before the debut. Some are listenable on a Korean site (whose name I lost)

As his group has a concept, not all songs are released at the same time. His premiere was Aurora. He composed it entirely before their debut and then it was reviewed with the KQ team and him to fit into the style of the album. So he's indeed a composer ^^

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!