Groups that self-produce music: Gidle, Ateez, Stray Kids, Seventeen. Do they make better music or not?

• These groups self produce almost every songs, other groups may have some writing credits but these groups pretty much don’t use outside writers. They write their raps too. Do you think they make music better than groups that don’t self produce?

Approved the thread.
  • Sometimes.

Nothing really wrong with not writing your own music. The producers and writers themselves are also talented and know what they are doing. Doesn't matter who makes what, sometimes it lands, sometimes it doesn't.

• These groups self produce almost every songs, other groups may have some writing credits but these groups pretty much don’t use outside writers. They write their raps too. Do you think they make music better than groups that don’t self produce?

The biggest myth is that they don't.

There's no shame in using professional songwriters and producers but I don't understand the obsession with claiming something is self-produced or self-written when the idol is one of 6 songwriters on a song. If just having 1 member of many writers or producers is the criteria, many groups in the industry also fit this.

SKZ has composition and producer credits and is the majority of credits on their songs, usually has one other outside songwriter on the track. Similarly, (G)I-DLE writes lyrics and produces but all of their hits and most of their songs have at least 1 other songwriter on it.

As for the rest:

Seventeen - Hot - 1 idol, 6 other writers. No producer credits for idols.

Seventeen - Darling - 1 idol, 3 other writers. No producer credits for idols.

Seventeen - Don Quixote - 2 idols, 4 other writers. No producer credits for idols.

Ateez - Guerilla - 2 idols (lyrics only), 5 other writers. No producer credits for idols.

Ateez - Turbulence - 2 idols (lyrics only), 5 other writers. No producer credits for idols.

Ateez - The Real - 2 idols (lyrics only), 5 other writers. No producer credits for idols.

In fact, there's a whole story about Ateez's writers and producers on this site.

The competent and frank team behind ATEEZ
    1- EDENARY: Music Production Team of ATEEZEDENARY is a production team created by EDEN who called as "The Father of ATEEZ’s Music."Th…
    www.allkpop.com

• How can we compare between 4 groups and literally the whole rest of pop industry? But to answer I think no. It's only cause these groups are well known already that we even know they self produce.

• Do Ateez and Seventeen really produce their own music? I thought they only just contribute to some lyrics here and there. So they have the main credits for lyrics, composing, and arranging?

• Well clearly not always but it's amazing to think that their music comes (mostly) from the idols of the group themselves. For example, Minnie's bside songs are simply amazing and with an unique vibe that you only find in her productions. Since I stan groups for their songs the only idols I really stan are the one who make music (Minnie, Le, Yuqi, Soyeon...) For groups who doesn't make their songs well actually you could say I stan their producer more than the members

• NO, they dont.

Their music is mid, and sound a mess.

G-idle just happened to get lucky frfr. But even Tomboy and Nxde is over hyped and overrated.

Seventeen they have good personalities which people like, and only a couple of the songs are good.

Stray Kids only getting attention cuz BTS on their break, so people tryna token stan a group who's "on the rise" so to speak, success stans. Cuz I know the music ain't hitting💀

Ateez, are a hit or miss. Deja Vu was really good I can admit though.

• Ateez don't self-produce.

Most of the songs are composed and arranged by Leez and Ollounder and Eden. They often only get rap writing credits.

• Similarly, (G)I-DLE writes lyrics and produces but all of their hits and most of their songs have at least 1 other songwriter on it.

That's totally false. All of (G)I-DLE title tracks have lyrics solely credited to Soyeon.

• I don't think this can have an objective yes or no answer - like any music, it could hit or it might not. I think the self-written or self-producing aspect adds a layer of authenticity and if it's really good, you know the credit lies with the idol who is performing. Non-producing idols are also talented and good at their job, but personally, knowing someone has worked at that proximity with what they are performing does add to my enjoyment of the song.

• SKZ needs good producers and writers because their music is bad. Their music is why I could not get into them no matter what. Seriously bad music.

• so there aren't really self produced as most claim? lol so why they are putting down other groups that have also have a few writing credits ? lol

• Stray Kids do in fact they're the one of the only groups I can always count on to make good music

Idle is...well I don't like their recent music but they have some good songs

Ateez contribute but don't self produce.

Stray Kids only getting attention cuz BTS on their break, so people tryna token stan a group who's "on the rise" so to speak, success stans. Cuz I know the music ain't hitting💀

pathetic try, so by your logic how did their breakout moment happen when bts were having their peak?

• That's totally false. All of (G)I-DLE title tracks have lyrics solely credited to Soyeon.

Songwriting can include writing lyrics and/or melodies. She writes the lyrics, someone else is still writing the melody and arranging the songs. So it’s not accurate to say she’s the only songwriter.

• Songwriting can include writing lyrics and/or melodies. She writes the lyrics, someone else is still writing the melody and arranging the songs. So it’s not accurate to say she’s the only songwriter.

Soyeon composes the melodies too. For every song she comes to the studio with a demo, then works it out with a senior producer.

It's true she's not the only songwriter, but she's like the director on all her songs. The people she works with help her to accomplish her vision.

• Soyeon composes the melodies too. For every song she comes to the studio with a demo, then works it out with a senior producer.

It's true she's not the only songwriter, but she's like the director on all her songs. The people she works with help her to accomplish her vision.

My apologies for missing her composition credits! I see she does indeed sometimes compose as well, she is credited for composition on three songs (My Bag Never Stop Me and Tomboy) on I Never Die by KOMCA. Even on these songs where she has written lyrics and music, there is still at least one other writer. That's interesting to know she provides the vision and direction for the other writers and producers!

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!