Do you think the Democrats or GOP will win the Senate?

• I've got no idea. Some races are tight, with me considering Georgia being the tightest since Georgia will have a runoff election since neither the Republican or Democrat won 50% of the vote for Georgia Senate.

~~ :red-heart: QUEEN SUNMI :red-heart: ~~

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Edited once, last by bethesda ().

• I hope they win, but I have no idea which scares me a little too

Who do you think will win the Senate, the GOP or the Democrats?

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• I hope the democrats will win, because I would really like to see Roe V. Wade law be in place again

I hope the GOP wins because I don't want crime coming into the US because of the wall. Reducing crime is one of the top priorities for any country.

• Hopefully democrats so we can actually see some change in this fucking country

Republicans will bring positive change by the wall that can reduce crime.

• Oh good lord

An enormous amount of crimes can happen if the Republicans don't work on the wall, which can reduce illegal immigration and crimes that can come from those illegal immigrations. Republicans don't want open borders so they can protect themselves from crimes and also themselves and their families.

• An enormous amount of crimes can happen if the Republicans don't work on the wall, which can reduce illegal immigration and crimes that can come from those illegal immigrations. Republicans don't want open borders so they can protect themselves from crimes and also themselves and their families.

Good lord you sweet summer child.

We're 6 years into this now

• Good lord you sweet summer child.

We're 6 years into this now

And it's probably going to be more years since a Republican woman in Texas won an election. She stated that she supports the wall.

1920px-US-Mexico_barrier_map.png

(from Wikipedia)

During Trump's presidency, an additional 52 miles of primary barriers were built.

Go to southern California, southern Arizona, southern New Mexico, or southern Texas and that's were illegal immigration could be seen.

• I hope the GOP wins because I don't want crime coming into the US because of the wall. Reducing crime is one of the top priorities for any country.

Don't you guys have more substantially more violent and lethal crime from school shootings or trigger happy police from inside the country than immigrants?

• An enormous amount of crimes can happen if the Republicans don't work on the wall, which can reduce illegal immigration and crimes that can come from those illegal immigrations. Republicans don't want open borders so they can protect themselves from crimes and also themselves and their families.

Okay I have free hands now to answer this.

Before Trump got voted out, 500 miles out 700 were done. The wall was basically finished.

And yet crime in America didn't significantly, or even slightly change as a result

And there are two fairly obvious reasons for that

1. Illegally crossing the border isn't even how most illegal immigrants end up here in the first place. Most illegal immigrants get visas and simply overstay them.

2. Immigrants, especially illegal ones, are more than half less likely to commit crimes as citizens. The rate of crime committed by illegal immigrants was already small to begin with. Texas is the only place that documents immigration status in relation to crime and they have illegal immigrants at ⅓ of the crime rate of an actual citizen. We could kick every immigrant out, ban foreigners like North Korea and you would not be any significant degree safer because most violent crimes happen between people who know each other anyway. That's basic crime statistics.

The wall was a stupid idea in the first place and that's the real reason most people were against it. As China and Berlin can both tell you, ropes and tunnels are pretty effective get arounds as well. It's not even the first time America has tried something like this, that fence the Bush administration put up did dick all to help. We spent tens of billions of dollars on useless walls instead of funding to education, healthcare, social services etc ie things that actually reduce crime in this country

And either way, congress can do nothing for or against that stupid wall. That's an executive order.

• Don't you guys have more substantially more violence from school shootings or trigger happy police from inside the country than immigrants?

More school police officers should be employed for when a shooting happens. That's probably up to the schools police department, not elected officials.

• More school police officers should be employed for when a shooting happens. That's probably up to the schools police department, not elected officials.

That's not a bad idea. If the trigger happy cops shoot school kids then you get 2 normally separate shootings happen in the same place which saves time and money. No foreigners necessary

• That's not a bad idea. If the trigger happy cops shoot school kids then you get 2 normally separate shootings happen in the same place which saves time and money. No foreigners necessary

Every school needs school police every day that school's open. Last year I heard that one of my nearby schools doesn't have school police, but there was a detective. The detective can write police reports and, even worse, the detective was in a regular car that doesn't say "schools police". It's just a normal car with nothing special. I even heard that the school officer changes every school year. That's certainly a bad idea for the schools. Multiple school police officers are better of course.

• Every school needs school police every day that school's open. Last year I heard that one of my nearby schools doesn't have school police, but there was a detective. The detective can write police reports and, even worse, the detective was in a regular car that doesn't say "schools police". It's just a normal car with nothing special. I even heard that the school officer changes every school year. That's certainly a bad idea for the schools. Multiple school police officers are better of course.

Or like in almost every civilised country police aren't needed in schools at all because there's no daily fear of getting shot:dancer-pepe:

• I do like the Checks and Balances between the Executive and Congressional branches. GOP in majority in Congress would bring the Checks and Balance. It happens nearly every mid term election no matter the issues. Even more important due to the watering down of procedural standards - 2/3rd vote reduced to simple majority and alike.

• I was following the news last night and it's still a tight race, which I think it's a great sign of healthy citizen participation, which is good because it shows that it's not true that US citizens don't care or don't participate. I think the Senate race is the closest one and we'll have to wait for the results, but Republicans will probably take the House.

I just talked to my little sis and she just informed that Louisiana voted FOR slavery (she's in NOLA and voted against it). I was just fabbergasted.....in 2022, slavery makes it on the ballot in 5 states, and Louisiana voted to KEEP it (the other 4 voted against it).

Good news is that many states kept the right for an abortion, even my old state of KY! Michigan flipped to Democrats (governor) because of this issue. My friends in CO, are all wanting Boebert out so I hope they succeed.

In the bigger picture, US democracy has been in a vulnerable state for a while now, especially with gerrymandering, capitalism lobbies, and weak media, but this mid-term also has given me some optimism and hope that people will vote and get involved in politics to make the changes. It's just gonna take some time.

Update: https://news.yahoo.com/midterms

Senate race is now D-48 and R-48 and the first to reach 51 wins....(PA flipped to D in the senate race) -- super tight race

House looks to go Republican; it's R-210 vs. D-192 (218 for majority)

Governors - D-22 (gained 2) and R-24 (lost 2)

Edited 2 times, last by Yinye ().

• Yinye Where did you get the R-210 from? Google says it's R-207.

Oh and include the link.

• I don't have any skin in the game per se but it's certainly an interesting election

I think today you're everywhere in the forums xD.

• I don't have any skin in the game per se but it's certainly an interesting election

I find the Senate election in Florida between Marco Rubio and Val Demings interesting because Val Demings used a lot of money in an effort to win, she even called herself "Chief Demings", a reference to her job as Chief of the Orlando Police Department, but Rubio ended up as the winner of the election.

• I find the Senate election in Florida between Marco Rubio and Val Demings interesting because Val Demings used a lot of money in an effort to win, she even called herself "Chief Demings", a reference to her job as Chief of the Orlando Police Department, but Rubio ended up as the winner of the election.

my understanding is that florida is pretty red no? and doesn't us politics generally favour the incumbent?

• my understanding is that florida is pretty red no? and doesn't us politics generally favour the incumbent?

Maybe, because I think California is a good state for Democrats. No Republican governor of California since Arnold Schwarzenegger left in 2011 due to the fact that he was term-limited. By the way, in US presidential elections, the Democratic candidate wins California unless the Republican wins it somehow like Reagan. Maybe lots of people in California loved Ronald Reagan as an actor, so he won California in the 1980 and 1984 United States presidential elections.

Edited once, last by bethesda ().

• I just talked to my little sis and she just informed that Louisiana voted FOR slavery (she's in NOLA and voted against it). I was just fabbergasted.....in 2022, slavery makes it on the ballot in 5 states, and Louisiana voted to KEEP it (the other 4 voted against it).

Um…how is the weather on your sister’s planet? :rolleyes:

If this is the level of Gen Z political knowledge it’s no wonder the USA is in big trouble. No such policy is on the ballot - in any state - nor has any been since 1865.

• Um…how is the weather on your sister’s planet? :rolleyes:

If this is the level of Gen Z political knowledge it’s no wonder the USA is in big trouble. No such policy is on the ballot - in any state - nor has any been since 1865.

You know you can Google before trying to insinuate that my sister and I are wrong -- when we are discussing the very thing she voted on and is on the news. This is exactly what I mean about self checking yourself re critical thinking and the news. My sister and are NOT Gen Z and there's nothing wrong with Gen Z either - don't stereotype.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/slavery-rejected-in-some-not-all-states-where-on-ballot/2022/11/09/5729de62-6003-11ed-a131-e900e4a6336b_story.html

US midterm elections: Why five states have slavery on the ballot in 2022
    The 1865 US slavery ban doesn't cover everyone. Voters will decide whether to keep the exemptions.
    www.bbc.com

I've always respectfully disagree with people with different opinions on here w/o making any judgement and so if you disagree w/ me; please just ignore my posts or block me.

Edited once, last by Yinye ().

• Yinye Well pretty much everyone agrees that 25 years working with $124 earned doesn't make any sense.

• The "slavery" here is an opinion on prison labor being expressed by a Leftist BBC reporter, not an actual legal condition. Prison labor may or may not be an appropriate form of punishment - but calling it slavery is just propaganda.

• The "slavery" here is an opinion on prison labor being expressed by a Leftist BBC reporter, not an actual legal condition. Prison labor may or may not be an appropriate form of punishment - but calling it slavery is just propaganda.

If you are viewing real world problems through political lens that is on you it does not change the fact. The UN itself considers forced labor - a form of slavery.

Force labor and forcing anyone (even prisoners) to conduct any long term labor as punishment fits the definition of slavery according to international law and it is why the US ballots included it to let citizens vote to close the loopholes.

https://www.un.org/en/observances/slavery-abolition-day

• Certainly they are, I'm not old enough to vote nor an American citizen but still love to debate the topic

I read that the GOP will probably need a change of strategy to win in 2024 since a lot of the trump backed candidates didn't fair as well

• a lot of the trump backed candidates didn't fair as well

There was / is discussion that the quality of the TRUMP backed candidates was NOT so good ... Many had NOT ever held *any* elected office ... And they did NOT have the TRUMP *visual* delivery (his TV experience) either ... My guess , being as *outsider* (TRUMP sees himself as that = NOT of the D.C. Beltway somehow) has begun to 'wear thin' with SOME voters ... You *claim* that you are going to 'shake things up' = 'go to D.C. and kick butt' ; and then *nothing* really changes ... Because it is *all* about *seniority* and say USA Senator IA State *CHUCK GRASSLEY* (Age 86 , just RE-ELECTED) getting what HE WANTS on the basis of *seniority* (being in USA Senate a LONG TIME) ... LINDSEY GRAHAM (USA Senator SC State) is 'shaking things up' by *continuing* to GOLF with TRUMP at MAR-A-LAGO Golf Club ... After awhile , *some* voters 'catch on' to it ... Wonder if CHRISTINA BOBB (Trump Lawyer) will get a *free* round of GOLF at MAR-A-LAGO ... Or even RUN for say a USA HOUSE of REPRESENTATIVES Seat in Year 2024 ... And two months ago , NOBODY had any idea of CHRISTINA BOBB existing (mostly) ... (Trolling) I plan to start a *false rumor* that CHRISTINA BOBB is dating KATO KAELIN (O.J. Simpson Trial) ... :wink:

(Click)==> CHRISTINA BOOB , err , *BOBB* ; (More Than You Wanted to Know ???)

Edited once, last by krell ().

The 13th amendment specifically leaves room for slavery in the way of prisons

"Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as a punishment for crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction."

Mamy states like Oregon and Vermont held similar language in their own state constitutions.

Forcing people who are already confined to work with little to no pay at the threat of violence, solitary confinement or restrictions on family visitations doesn't sound like slavery to you?

Especially considering how many privately owned, for-profit prisons there are?

• (Returning to THREAD topic of USA Senate Results) ...
    (1) Democratic Party (BIDEN) gained the PA State USA Senate Seat ...
    (2) Also , there is *chatter* that BIDEN Party will win (retain actually)

... The NEVADA USA Senate Seat = Cortez Masto = Incumbent ...
    ... This is a *very* close contest , there could be a RECOUNT of votes.
    (3) KELLY (Democrat Incumbent) seems as he will win (retain) his AZ State

... USA Senate Seat.
    (4) With the PA , NV , and AZ wins , Democrats *retain* their current situation

... As 50 Trump vs. 50 Biden + *important* Dem. K.HARRIS is *TIE BREAKER* vote.

(5) IF that Democrats can win GEORGIA State USA Senate Seat , via a

... 'run off' election in first week December , then Democrats can actually have

... GAINED to a 51 Dem. to 49 Rep. USA Senate situation (final).

(6) So the 'key event' , is that PA State did *flip* from REP. to DEM. for USA Senate ... Everything else might stay the *same* as before (Year 2020).

(7) Murkowski (Trump Party = REP.) is expected to *retain* her Alaska USA Senate Seat ... It might take *awhile* (over 5 days) for that vote count to get done though ... But it would be *likely* a *no change* situation from Year 2020 (Murkowski wins).

Edited 2 times, last by krell ().

• What about Alaska?

• This thread contains 14 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!