Should I read dream of the red chamber?

• Apparently it's one of the earliest modern fictions written in China. It's prettyyyyy longgggg

Idk if anyone else has read it

selfmate and Yinye I'm tagging you bc you know most about Chinese culture and media

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• I read Chinese novels but it's mostly novels on their online platforms like jjwxc and stuff. My personal experience with the novels in general is that yes, they are long but they are engaging and usually have interesting and very intricate plotlines. Most are worth the time!

This is not a really helpful post ><

许凯 | 陈飞宇

feiyu-chen-feiyu.gif

• I read Chinese novels but it's mostly novels on their online platforms like jjwxc and stuff. My personal experience with the novels in general is that yes, they are long but they are engaging and usually have interesting and very intricate plotlines. Most are worth the time!

This is not a really helpful post ><

Have you ever read any of the classics?

This is technically a classics

It's considered equivalent of Jane austen in imperial China

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Have you ever read any of the classics?

This is technically a classics

It's considered equivalent of Jane austen in imperial China

I don't think I have read any classics. Mostly the online ones...the kind that get adapted to dramas.

许凯 | 陈飞宇

feiyu-chen-feiyu.gif

• I don't think I have read any classics. Mostly the online ones...the kind that get adapted to dramas.

What drama is your sig from?

• What drama is your sig from?

The current one? Love you seven times. The dramas hasn't released yet. I am fan of the author and the novel so I am excited about the drama. The trailer looks beautiful.

许凯 | 陈飞宇

feiyu-chen-feiyu.gif

• :omgr:  :pepe-yes-sign:

have you read it?

do you like it?

is there a good drama/movie adaptation too?

• :pepe-no-sign: The Affair Premiere GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY :-)

did u get hacked?

why are u suing emojis?

wtfff

• I've read the English translation version of 'Dream of the Red Chamber' by David Hawkes. It was recommended to me by my Chinese history teacher back in my university days when I was studying Chinese history and I highly recommend it. I only wish I knew enough Chinese to read the original, because it's infused with poetry, philosophy, and social commentary of China written originally in the mid-to later 1700's. Brilliant authors have a way to really bring to life the world as it was back then -- even better than any modern drama can portray etc. But it's not an easy read and has a HUGE cast of characters. I truly enjoyed it and I loved the wisdom it contained in the writing.

For example in the beginning, there is this inscribed in a stone archway in the story:

假作真時真亦假,

無為有處有還無。

Truth becomes fiction when the fiction's true;

Real becomes not-real where the unreal's real.

— The Story of the Stone

This stuck with me a long, long time and I started to think how much facts are really embedded in fiction and where the lines blurred. A history lover like myself, just really enjoyed contemplating it. People make fun of history but there were truly brilliant minds and people back in the days - living their lives. Shout out to the original author: Cao Xueqin - he's a genius.

For me, it was a bit personal too because I wanted to connect and learn more about my Chinese side of the family and understand what it was like for women especially in the that time period. Dream of the Red Chamber is consider one of the great classics of Chinese literature.

Adding the link to the version I read: https://www.amazon.com/Story-S…Chamber-Vol/dp/0140442936

BTW - David Hawkes devoted his life to translating this novel...there's even a specific academic field of study devoted to Dream of Red Chambers, called Redology.

Edited once, last by Yinye ().

• I will try to listen to bit of it in audio book first

thanks for the detailed response

• Lulu_Key -- I don't think a comparison to Jane Austen would do these novel justice lol. I adore Jane Austen for her wittiness and brilliant social observation too.

I decided to mention the 4 Classic Novels of Chinese Literature for others on the forum that maybe interested to learn explore: I've not included the Dream of Red Chamber due to the post above, but the other three are:

- Water Margin - written by Shi Nai'an and the story is set in the Song Dynasty (960–1279) but written in the 14th century - so the oldest of the 4 classics. The novel is set in the Song dynasty and depicts a group of outlaws who eventually go on to serve the Emperor in battling foreign invaders. It was based on the real life story of the outlaw Song Jiang, who was defeated by the Emperor in the 12th century, and whose gang of 36 outlaws came to populate folk tales throughout China. --- I haven't read this one but I think I should.

- Journey into the West - probably the most well-known of the 4 due to so many adaptations. Published in the 16th century and attributed to Wu Cheng'en. This summary is the best: Journey to the West has strong roots in Chinese folk religion, Chinese mythology, Confucianism, Taoist, and Buddhist theology, and the pantheon of Taoist immortals and Buddhist bodhisattvas are still reflective of some Chinese religious attitudes today. Enduringly popular, the novel is at once a comic adventure story, a humorous satire of Chinese bureaucracy, a source of spiritual insight, and an extended allegory. Sun Wukong or THE Monkey King is the most facmous character and Journey into the West is the inspiration for Japanese mega-hit Dragon Ball manga and anime. I also enjoyed reading it and the version I read was by Anthony C. Yu.

- Romance of the Three Kingdoms - attributed to Luo Guanzhong in the late 14th century. The story – part historical and part fictional – romanticises and dramatises the lives of feudal lords and their retainers, who tried to replace the dwindling Han dynasty or restore it. While the novel follows hundreds of characters, the focus is mainly on the three power blocs that emerged from the remnants of the Han dynasty, and would eventually form the three states of Cao Wei, Shu Han, and Eastern Wu. The novel deals with the plots, personal and military battles, intrigues, and struggles of these states to achieve dominance for almost 100 years. - I haven't read this one either because it's sooooooooo long lol. My father absolutely loves it and he can talk about his favorite characters for a long time...

• yeah

I was thinking more along line of sth in 2000s

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!