RE: Why is Jeongyeon so Underrated?

• I can identify two (mebbe three) things off the top of my head

1. She was on haitus

2. During that hiatus, her image has taken a hit.

3. (this one's iffy) she might have withdrawn a tad.

She went on haitus and as such she was absent for a comeback. As such fans were not able to see nor judge her performance in that comeback. Further: she was also absent for a lot of the performances as well.

This is not her fault but she did gain weight during her hiatus. This is not her fault because the hiatus she is not expected to maintain such a "idol's shape" especially when suffering from such a injury, surgery, and recovery. It is impossible, most say (and I agree). But there is one thing that she lost from that: her looks. It is much easier to like a person who is visually appealing and without her "visual-foot-in-the-door" it is much harder to vault back and win over the heart of the audience.

As is rumored, she also had bouts of depression and anxiety whilst on her hiatus. I don't know the specifics but what I do know is that I've had similar things, (for different reasons though) and when people say "It takes one to know one." It sometimes rings true. I don't know what specifically about her behavior is different but she does give off the general impression of being more reserved as a result and may not be risk-taking to win over the hearts of the audience. This last one is a textbook "Source: trust me bro"

OP
    • Best Answer

As a Jeongyeon stan, I concur.

Loyal fans will stay loyal, but it's hard to gain newer fans in a shallow industry that is the KPOP industry.

She was always one of the least popular members in the fandom, but she has always been really popular in South Korea for her image. However, we already know how Korea is when it comes to idols who don't fit a certain image. She still has a lot of people who support her, but I wouldn't be surprised if she is not given the same opportunities as the other members due to her weight gain. More opportunities leads to more exposure and more exposure leads to more fans.

I know she is a little insecure about that, but even despite that, she still seems to be getting happier and healthier mentally and physically, which is what really matters. I am happy she decided to continue with Twice, and as long as she is happy, that's all I can want as a fan. I will continue to love and support her.

PGDPGT PRETTY GIRLS DOING PRETTY GIRL THINGS

417aa1c7e1372f9ae29d8e2f659d3f12cf0db4d9.gifv0d1493f18550d15d02f4c2bba44c12bdc01f518d.gifv

• Visuals matter, and while some locals are ok with and even prefer curvier bodies, we all know weight gain is a huge no no among Koreans and even some Ifans.

She re-signed when she didnt really have to (with all the money she's earned already plus her family is well off). This tells me she is still happy enough to be a member of Twice, to sing and dance and perform for a living. Unless her health takes a turn for the worse, i think she will be just fine, no matter how unappreciated she is by nonfans and GP. The important thing is for her to be content and happy with her choices.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!