Are company enforced idol ships profitable or harmful?

• Pick one 13

1. Its profitable and increases engagement (1) 8%
    2. It causes unnecessary drama and isn't profitable (2) 15%
    3. Both but more benefits (3) 23%
    4. Both but it's more harmful (7) 54%

Wbk company ships exist. Yg, jyp used to do this a lot in the 2nd gen and sm king of queerbait says their encourage dating within the company as it's easier to handle. Company shipping is a thing. Period.

From a marketing perspective unless they are going for the full delulu package it seems harmful. The product in kpop is the idol you want a person to identify with/romanticise. Their counterpart is this other idol that the company sets them up with. Then have their ideal types heavily resemble the person they had a company photoshoot with or lots of fanservice with at some company event or some bs like that.

All dandy got shippers eating outta their hand now. BUT for the people that see the idol as their ideal type won't this cause problems? I've seen soo many shippers flail insults at both idols, bringing hate and I've also seen shippers support sales. So is it beneficial or is it not?

Desbundar

• I don't care about straight delulu shippers feelings. Honestly I think it's harmful for actual lgbtq idols and fans. Seeing your sexuality being used as a marketing tool and at the same time not being accepted by society hurts.

So it's beneficial for the companies, yeah but it's harmful for the mental health of some.

• Hmm depends i guess if they were happy and automatically do it then it is not harmful but if the pressure gets to them that is when it becomes harmful

When I'm with you, a magical thing happens

• I don't really know any specific example of 'company shipping' ( maybe because I wasn't around for 2nd gen ? ) but that seems unecessary. Shippers don't need any incentive to ship, they don't even need these two idos to interact to ship ( see : Liskook )

As for queerbaiting, don't do it, especially if you have fans in the west, lol. They are not going to take the 'we are acting gay for lulz' thing very well. Once again, shippers will only need for two members to smile at each others to claim that they are married, no need to do anything even if you want their engagement : you will get it anyway, whether you want it or not.

• it would be when they finally find their significant other but can't date publicly because of delusional shipper fans. Queerbaiting is also looked down upon in general.

Boredom brought me here.

• It’s fucking weird especially when it’s members of the same group I noticed happens a lot and I’m pretty sure it affects their self image and obvs makes the fact they legit have no autonomy as an idol even worse

• I was around during the time Yunjae (TVfXQ! Yunho and JYJ Jaejoong) was HUGE. Like fans actually thought they dating for real and there might be some fans around still . There shippers were EXTREMELY passionate. Even after the split took place, you might see Yunjae signs at a JYJ or a TVfXQ! concert. I think it can be profitable to the company but also dangerous to the idols themselves. It can make fans analysis every single mini interaction they have ie looking in their direction. It also might be why when I hear about so and so are the mom and dad of the group, all I can think of it as something the company is pushing. Yunho and Jaejoong were previously labeled the dad and mom for TVfXQ!

Edited once, last by maobao ().

• There shippers were EXTREMELY passionate. Even after the split took place, you might see Yunjae signs at a JYJ or a TVfXQ! concert.

This reminds me of

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!