A rant about weight and the backlash towards Pristin's Kyla (not recent news)

• So I'm watching videos on Pristin (they deserved better), specifically about Kyla. And I, once again, have a bone to pick. People were so cruel to her over her weight just because she was a little chubbier than other idols at the time. It's so two-faced because we want companies to stop forcing diets on idols but when Kyla debuted at 15, she was getting comments on her body. She wasn't appearing on shows/Vlives, paparazzi weren't photographing her, and "fans" didn't chant during her parts. And through all of this, her weight was at the center of attention. This happened at her debut and resurfaced again after their first comeback. Kyla was ignored at fan signs and events. There were even news articles being posted about her body... a 15-year-old!! This is disgusting behaviour, and considering she was a minor too, makes it all the worse. Eventually Kyla's activities were halted so she could focus on her health, and many pointed fingers at her weight. She left for an injury, which was confirmed by her brother. "Fans" begun blaming Kyla for Pristin's downfall. Pristin disbanded in 2019, which she revealed that she had no bad blood with any of the members and her weight was not her reason for leaving in a YouTube Q&A. She released a debut solo album in 2020, and the hate comments just kept pouring in again. She is now keeping a low profile, no idol projects, went back to school and is in a relationship. All the horrible things Kyla had to endure at such a young age is devastating. This is what bothers me about the industry, why is weight seen as much more of an "importance" than talent. Because when I tell you this girl could sing, she really could! Pledis wanted her at age nine and trained for six years. There was no way they were just letting go of that talent (that is until Pristin disbanded).

• ohh I don't follow pristin, but I do know about this. Kyla deserved better. So what if she wasn't thin like most female idols? She looked fine and if she is healthy, there isn't a problem (not that we can truly know that since we don't know her in the first place, so it's better not to act like we do to begin with). I'm glad she got out and is doing her own thing now.

💣🎇 P1Harmony 5th Mini Album 'HARMONY : SET IN' OUT NOW!!!💥💣
    b675bae17756d66b1c583cc777acfaac3606736b.gifv7e6700291c446212998eba09549f464a739c91a3.gifv4cd7cc8dafce05255d7d96dfae0cd85dc47c4e21.gifv

P1harmony|SHINee|ITZY|ONF|Monsta X|Purple Kiss|KARD|ONEWE|Pentagon|Billlie|NCT Dream|Ghost9|GOT7

• ohh I don't follow pristin, but I do know about this. Kyla deserved better. So what if she wasn't thin like most female idols? She looked fine and if she is healthy, there isn't a problem (not that we can truly know that since we don't know her in the first place, so it's better not to act like we do to begin with). I'm glad she got out and is doing her own thing now.

I’m only recently getting into Pristin (I know I’m a little late on that one) but the stuff she had to go through was truly awful. We praise body positivity and this happens. And its not like its the only time either, look at what’s happening with Jiwoo of NMIXX. Another child being shamed for her body.

• I’m only recently getting into Pristin (I know I’m a little late on that one) but the stuff she had to go through was truly awful. We praise body positivity and this happens. And its not like its the only time either, look at what’s happening with Jiwoo of NMIXX. Another child being shamed for her body.

ah yeah. I remember seeing an NMIXX photo where one of the members' legs were clearly photoshopped recently. I guess photoshop isn't exclusively a kpop problem though, it's a problem everywhere, but it sucks that these kinds of problems regarding body image aren't going away

b675bae17756d66b1c583cc777acfaac3606736b.gifv7e6700291c446212998eba09549f464a739c91a3.gifv4cd7cc8dafce05255d7d96dfae0cd85dc47c4e21.gifv

P1harmony|SHINee|ITZY|ONF|Monsta X|Purple Kiss|KARD|ONEWE|Pentagon|Billlie|NCT Dream|Ghost9|GOT7

• ah yeah. I remember seeing an NMIXX photo where one of the members' legs were clearly photoshopped recently. I guess photoshop isn't exclusively a kpop problem though, it's a problem everywhere, but it sucks that these kinds of problems regarding body image aren't going away

I really wish idols were praised for their talents, not judged for their bodies. But unfortunately in our society it seems like such a far fetched thing

• I really wish idols were praised for their talents, not judged for their bodies. But unfortunately in our society it seems like such a far fetched thing

Yeah and I think it's hard just because of how much of a visual medium kpop is. And I think we're all naturally drawn to attractive people for the most part, but you know, that's okay. I just think that if someone doesn't fit the ideal image, then we shouldn't force them to. I don't think that it's unreasonable to not be cruel.

• Yeah and I think it's hard just because of how much of a visual medium kpop is. And I think we're all naturally drawn to attractive people for the most part, but you know, that's okay. I just think that if someone doesn't fit the ideal image, then we shouldn't force them to. I don't think that it's unreasonable to not be cruel.

At the end of the day if someone doesn’t like how another person looks, they don’t have to. But how hard is it to be respectful and not constantly send said idol hate?

• At the end of the day if someone doesn’t like how another person looks, they don’t have to. But how hard is it to be respectful and not constantly send said idol hate?

Right? Like who raised these people?

On the internet (it doesn't justify this btw) people get braver because of the anonymity, but irl for Kyla, people would flat out ignore her, not cheer for her like the other members, avoid taking pictures of her if they could, etc. I can't imagine behaving like that irl.

:pepestare:

• WinterStorm1 you can highlight the text btw, and click the paintbrush icon in editing and then click remove color. This will make the text visible to users in both light and dark mode as it automatically switches color depending on your interface.

So the text will still be light on your end while dark for light mode users.

• Right? Like who raised these people?

On the internet (it doesn't justify this btw) people get braver because of the anonymity, but irl for Kyla, people would flat out ignore her, not cheer for her like the other members, avoid taking pictures of her if they could, etc. I can't imagine behaving like that irl.

:pepestare:

And she didn’t do a thing wrong. Those kind of things usually happen to really problematic idols. But she just existed and people hated her

• this was heart breaking to read

I cant imagine going through something like this at the age of 15

It truly is heartbreaking what she had to go through. And unfortunately this isn’t the only instance. Its truly frustrating that so many idols are fat shamed (especially when they are at a healthy weight) and “fans” want them to go on diets. And then in the next breath they worry about idols who do diet and say it’s dangerous

• yup, the beauty standards are fked up. The lack of diversity really push a fake image and creates insecurities among teenagers. It breaks my heart that a poor kid had to hide because of some shitty incels that think that all women should be 170 and have 40 kg.

• yup, the beauty standards are fked up. The lack of diversity really push a fake image and creates insecurities among teenagers. It breaks my heart that a poor kid had to hide because of some shitty incels that think that all women should be 170 and have 40 kg.

I can only imagine what went through her head after comments like those. No teenager should ever have to deal with that

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!