is a strong parasocial relationship with fans beneficiary for the group or the cons are more than the pros?

• i assume everyone knows what a parasocial relationship is, if not then better google it pls.

I'm making this post because i find it interesting how there are groups with completely different marketing strategies when it comes to interaction with fans which highly affects and reflects on how the fandom thinks and acts towards the said idols.

for example:

on the one side, we have groups whose content is highly targeted towards establishing such strong parasocial relationships with fans - stray kids, nct, bts to name a few. many of their fans think of them as some sort of "soulmates" or "best friends" while idols (or more likely companies) encourage them to continue that behaviour. An example of this can be hybe releasing keychains with a piece of bts' stage costumes "to make the fans feel even closer to bts" or stray kids' felix sending voice messages to fans of him imagining himself as a cat that sleeps on the bed next to them.

that, of course, is beneficial when it comes to dedication and loyalty to the group but also is a prerequisite for a higher number of sasaengs and obsessed fans crossing the boundaries of the normal fan behaviour

on the other side, we have groups who either act like they don't have any fans or their behaviour very strongly and obviously shows where the line between them and the fans sits. examples of this are big bang, blackpink, red velvet, aespa. i'm not saying they don't have stalkers and such but fans with "overly obsessive" behaviour to the point of thinking they're emotionally connected in some way with their idols are much less common compared to the groups above.

that, on the other hand, may result in easier loosing of fans since they might not be as loyal to the group.

idk if i managed to explain my point clearly but i'm interested in seeing your opinions.

Do you think having a strong relationship with fans is better than setting boundaries in terms of safety and overall fandom behaviour?

As a fan, what type of relationship do you prefer and what type of relationship you'd choose if you were an idol?

Approved the thread.
  • It can be both but it's more beneficial since they are able to make money and career off of it.

I don't agree with the groups you mentioned not having para social relationships though. There's lots of things people latch onto for this. Have you seen hie Lisa fans or even Blackpink fans act how they're constantly the biggest victims everywhere? That's a good sign of it.

• It can be both but it's more beneficial since they are able to make money and career off of it.

I don't agree with the groups you mentioned not having para social relationships though. There's lots of things people latch onto for this. Have you seen hie Lisa fans or even Blackpink fans act how they're constantly the biggest victims everywhere? That's a good sign of it.

blinks' behaviour is because of themselves though, not because of blackpink. the girls aren't doing anything except posting pictures on insta every now and then. it's not like they or yg are doing anything special to connect with the fans like the other groups i mentioned, quite the opposite actually

also one more thing that i forgot to add in my previous reply

i didn't say they don't have a parasocial relationship. i meant their connection with fans isn't targeted to appeal like they're your best friends or significant others or people you should feel emotionally close to as if you know them personally. they're clearly setting boundaries between themselves and the fans.

• also one more thing that i forgot to add in my previous reply

i didn't say they don't have a parasocial relationship. i meant their connection with fans isn't targeted to appeal like they're your best friends or significant others or people you should feel emotionally close to as if you know them personally. they're clearly setting boundaries between themselves and the fans.

That does not mean they don't have a parasocial relationship. Having a different TYPE of parasocial relationship does not mean you don't have one. And that's the topic of your thread. They have a strong parasocial relationship and it shows in the way their fans behave. These don't come out of nowhere. They are feeding it directly to fans. I don't see the boundaries ig when your fans constantly treat you like puppets and you still say nothing.

• That does not mean they don't have a parasocial relationship. Having a different TYPE of parasocial relationship does not mean you don't have one. And that's the topic of your thread. They have a strong parasocial relationship and it shows in the way their fans behave. These don't come out of nowhere. They are feeding it directly to fans. I don't see the boundaries ig when your fans constantly treat you like puppets and you still say nothing.

this is exactly what i said in my reply, idk what didn't you understand?

Have you seen any fandom not act like victims? They all do it. Singling out just one popular idol gives you away really...

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!