Why don't more idols jump ship like Somi? Who else could benefit from a similar move?

• We don't know how much it cost her to break the contract, but she's had zero regrets and no wonder. She's absolutely flourishing right now. She's living her best life. YG has the best reputation for contract deals (The Black Label should be no different) and she's involved in every step of the creative process with her music. She has hit songs and her own reality show. She also has so many endorsement deals that you'd think she was the 5th member of BP.

What she did was brave and not easy to do and she got hate for it. But it was the best move she ever made.

Of course you have to be an idol wtih a decent amount of popularity for it to work, but there must be a few out there who feel trapped and languishing in a situation they'd rather not be in.

For example, I'm sure every Twice member will renew, but how do some of them look at Somi and not be envious?

Approved the thread.
  • Not sure she broke contract. Her contract under JYP probably didn't require her to debut in a girl group. She left when Itzy was preparing for debut so chance is she was negotiating her contract with JYP and they didn't figure out anything that both were okay with, so she ended up leaving.

• I think she's enjoying being an artist under the label. I don't get it why fk people hate that company sm.

• How many idols have the name recognition and a solo brand like Somi? And how many were in the same or a similar situation like hers?

It was a unique situation at the time after the IOI disbandment and the first ever season of PD101 and she's already her own brand and has her own solo fanbase as a contestant coming out of a survival show. Other idols may be popular but they often have their group label attached to them, like Twice Momo or Twice Sana, it's only the rare ones that get known among the public like Taeyeon can alone with her name instead of SNSD Taeyeon. I mean, you could also say IOI Somi, but IOI was no more at the time.

And she was in a spot where JYP didn't do anything with her, and they had a disagreement because he has a plan to debut her with ITZY (from what we know) but it's like 2/3 years too late and Somi could be doing more hustling already. She still debuted after 3 years, but at least it was mostly on her own terms, going solo and with her own high-teen style and writing her own tracks like Outta My Mind and Watermelon etc.

• A, she already had massive recognition for a trainee, arguably the greatest in the history of kpop.

B, she's still not that big now anyway, so what makes you think that a trainee with far less recognition will have any chance at success.

• Because it's not that easy

• It takes a lot of guts, belief in yourself and a supportive family. Still, you'd think Somi would be a shining example for others that you can change things for the better.

• A, she already had massive recognition for a trainee, arguably the greatest in the history of kpop.

B, she's still not that big now anyway, so what makes you think that a trainee with far less recognition will have any chance at success.

Maybe not that big musically (one top 10 hit and 50k sales) but in terms of actual $$ earned and name recognition in Korea via her CFs and variety show appearances...she is blowing away 98% of female idols.

• Maybe they don't want to.

• Plenty of post-group veteran idols DO try to do their own thing just like Somi. Obviously, they usually can't while under their group contact (Somi wasn't under a group contract). Few are anywhere near as successful as Somi, but that is just the reality of going solo even for those from very popular groups - probably one reason Wonyoung decided not to go solo.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!