Posts by jeansjeansjeans

But the hand that touches his shoulder in the nightmare is an adult hand isn't it?

I think he had some kind of important/high paying job at some point in time and somehow an accident happened that caused someone's death and possibly left behind an orphan. Being one himself it shook him and he returned to his home to help people as some kind of penance and an attempt to reconnect to himself in the past.

Divorce feels too messy for this show. I feel like if he was married before she's gonna have to be hella dead.

Originally, I thought of everything you wrote, however, I just thought the divorce discussion in episode 4 was very intriguing and I couldn't ignore it, and so, I came up with another theory, as I described in my post. Though, I do think your theories are plausible, as well.

Yes, it's an adult hand in the nightmare and that led me to think the same things you mentioned, but then I thought to myself, maybe the bloody hand is of the person who caused the accident but not necessarily is the one who died (or the bloody hand died along with others in the accident).

For example, what if there was a car accident deemed to be the fault of the bloody hand. The baby dies +/- the woman dies, as well. Either the woman died as well as you stated or only the baby died, which still could have led to Du-Sik's relationship with the woman becoming strained and they divorced.

Who knows which way it will go, but I like hearing others theories! :)

My current Hometown Cha Cha Cha theories, as of episode 6:

A. I theorize that Du-Sik got married and had a baby after graduating from SNU. During that time he only kept in touch with Gam-Ri halmoni. There was an accident/occurrence that resulted in his baby dying (maybe he was busy at work/at his Engineering job and something happened while he wasn't around?). As expected, this tragic occurrence had an extremely negative impact on his marriage, which became strained, and ultimately, he and his wife divorced. Du-Sik came back to Gongjin after the divorce. He has struggled and has yet to fully work through/recover/ move forward from those events because of extreme guilt (when the baby's death might not actually be his fault, but he took on the guilt and feels like it was his fault). So now he lives in Gongjin taking on multiple jobs, serving and helping others as means of coping with his guilt, and also as means of doing things that make him happy instead of having a fancy, high-paying job that took his away from his previous wife and child...and he now goes to therapy regularly in Seoul, as shown in episode 3.

Reasons why I think this is the case for A:

1. I think it's Du-Sik in the photo with the baby and woman. You can see a peek of a guy's hair, and to me, it looks like Du-Sik. He also decided to throw out a black suit in episode 2, and if you recall, the guy in the picture was wearing a black suit.

2. In episode 4, Hye-Jin says how divorce in not a big deal at all and that it is just another decision people make in life, like everything else. Du-Sik quickly agrees with her.

3. Gam-Ri halmoni said she was the only one who kept in touch with Du-Sik during the 5 years he was gone, so it would make sense that she would be the only one who knows what happened to him. Since it was such a sensitive and traumatic time for Du-Sik, the events of that time stay a secret between Gam-Ri halmoni and Du-Sik. However, after so much time, Gam-Ri halmoni was hoping he'd be able to move forward with his life and meet someone new but this has yet to happen (hence, why Gam-Ri halmoni said he can do everything except find a wife....she still wants that for Du-Sik).

4. In episode 2, the townspeople comment how Du-Sikm has been going to Seoul often lately....possibly because he started therapy as per my theory?

5. His child dying and his previous divorce are the reason for his ongoing nightmares.

Maybe now, he's taking small steps in trying to move forward, and maybe all of this is also why, he has initially been so slow and resistant to pursuing a romantic relationship with Hye-Jin.

B. Also, about a possible future storyline development:

1. I think Du-Sik's ex-wife lives in the same building and on the same floor as Hye-Jin's old apartment/apartment building in Seoul.

2. (This one I am less sure about, but it may be possible) At some point, Hye-Jin and Du-Sik ran into each other/interacted at the apartment/apartment building/in Seoul, but Hye-Jin doesn't remember, whereas Du-Sik does.

Reason why I think this is the case for B:

Recall in episode 1, Hye-Jin is talking with the older lady in the elevator, where the older lady said she came to visit her daughter, and then they both get off on the same floor.

I read a theory on Twitter (I tried to look for the link to post it here, but I couldn't find it again) , that it's possible that Du-Sik likely also met Hye-Jin while in Seoul as an adult as well, but maybe she just doesn't remember. The person stated that they thought this was the case because he was rude/dismissive of Hye-Jin from the start when we first see them interacting at the beach in episode 1, and also, when Hye-Jin goes to ask him a question in episode 1 (roughly the 41 minute mark on Netflix), he looks extremely anxious and rubs his neck, but then she only asks to borrow 4000 won for coffee and he seems to relax after that. I'm not sure how likely theory B is (one or even both parts of this theory), but I thought I would throw it in, since I am going off of speculation as it is.

C. What if Du-Sik was the one who organized the fireworks in episode 6?! A small chance of this...a long shot...but still!

Reason why I think this is the case for C:

At the end of episode 6, Du-Sik tells Hye-Jin "I don't befriend just anyone, you know", then the fireworks start and he says "I guess someone got the romance going". Maybe he finally decided that he was going to slowly pursue a romantic relationship with Hye-Jin, hence, he previously commented to her in episode 6 about how she should comfortably cross the line with him...and so he started off his slow pursuit with fireworks?! Could it be?

D. It's clearly obvious that there is some kind of underlying romantic relationship and history/backstory between Hwa Jeong and the teacher who returned to Gongjin (I can't remember her name at the moment). Therefore, I believe Hwa Jeong and Yeong Guk divorced because Hwa Jeong realized she could no longer be married to a man, but it remains a secret between them because they both do not want anyone in the town finding out for the sake of their son. They want their son to grow up without people gossiping about it even more.

It's a really great show and I look forward to it every week! Each episode always puts a smile on my face and makes me laugh at some point. It's a great find, especially because I didn't think it would be this great when I watched the trailer, but I really love the show! :)

This is a good song, too.

The truck was a bit off putting to me too at first but I saw it wasn't green screen CGI but a LED screen, I'll link you the behind below

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

they talk about it from 5:00 on!

So, I watched the video you linked and I'd like to clarify that it wasn't the background scenery I was referring to, it was the literal CGI truck that was off-putting for me, shown at 0:36 seconds of the MV and it is that that completely threw me off. The LED screen was a little less bothersome, but still somewhat off compared to the rest of the MV.

The truck was a bit off putting to me too at first but I saw it wasn't green screen CGI but a LED screen, I'll link you the behind below

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

they talk about it from 5:00 on!

Ahhhh, okay, I see. Thanks so much for letting me know! :)

Anyway, I recently started to listen TXT after purchasing the FREEZE album, and so, I'm curious to see if this song will grow on me. Currently, following a few listens, it's still somewhere in the high 70s to low 80s.

For me, it's not as good as Lovesong, but still, it's a pretty good bop. I'd rate it somewhere in the low 80s. I liked the first verse and pre-chorus, and Yeonjun's small rap section. With respect to the MV, the truck CGI was a little off-putting, but everything else was okay.

I've been thinking and analyzing the show all on my own over the past few weeks and I wanted to share and discuss with people, because I found people on the internet who pointed out some of the same things I was thinking about. Grab a snack and here we go...

1. In episode 8, when Jae-eon took Na-bi to the art gallery, he said he saw a girl there, standing across from him at an exhibit and he fell in love in love with her at first sight, but Na-bi doesn't realize he is talking about her. If you go back to episode 1 on Netflix, just as Nabi is leaving the art gallery and we're on a wide shot (at 3:74 minutes and with 1:08:32 remaining on Netflix), you can see Jae-eon standing on the other side of the statue, dressed in a black turtle neck and grey coat.

hana 💐 on Twitter
    “My screenshot is blurred ok sorry for those with bad eyesight #Nevertheless #NeverthelessEp8”
    twitter.com

2. This person on Twitter had excellent analysis of the meaning and significance of why Jae-eon called the exhibit from episode 1 boring; one can also relate this back to when, in episode 9, the professor said "Pieces that receive compliments and ones that attract attention are different", meaning, I don't think Jae-eon thought Na-bi's ex made good art, and hence, he called it boring. The piece was provocative and attracted attention from many, but that doesn't necessarily mean that he thought (and also in general) that is was good art, expressing emotion worthy of compliments.
    https://twitter.com/thisjieuns/status/1424334237361217538 (scroll down to read both posts).

3. Since episode 8, I realized that the title for each week's episode is actually most likely from Jae-eon's POV and not Na-bi's based on the dialogue in that episode. One can argue, that it can also be used interchangeably between both of the main characters; however, I think the episode titles are from Jae-eon's POV. In episode 8, Jae-eon talks about how he doesn't believe in fate, but he was shocked to later run into the girl he fell in love with at the art gallery, and if only he believed in fate, he would have believed that it was it...the title for episode 1 was "There's No Such Thing as Fate, Nevertheless". Someone from the Reddit kdrama forum mentioned this today and reminded me of this.

4. There was a theory floating around that the butterflies are a representation of Jae-eon, and not Na-bi. It is said that Jae-eon flirts with many girls, but never dates/commits. Butterflies represent the pain and ugliness of happiness, as mentioned in the show, and it could be a representation of the pain and ugliness he feels based on how people gossip about him and treat him, without knowing all the actual facts (you have to remember a lot of what we see in only from Nabi's POV and you actually are never told what actually REALLY happened; we only go off the rumours that Na-bi hears about Jae-eon from others and Jae-eon himself said in episode 2 that people gossip about him), and then also due to his upbringing with his mom. More specifically, A. in episode 6, Jae-eon talks about how touching a butterfly's wings is not harmful, it can on cause some allergies and that butterflies are the ones who actually end up getting hurt (I thought this could be a metaphor for how people make assumptions about him and treat him), and B. up to this point, we suspect that he has a fear of getting hurt/abandoned based on his upbringing/mommy-issues/past experiences, so he floats from one person to the next, but then sudddenly things are different for him when he meets Na-bi, in that he actually wants to commit to her, but that in itself is causing a lot of pain and ugliness due to their horrible communication issues. And then, when we see in episode 8, when they both go to the art gallery, you notice that Na-bi and Jae-eon are standing in front of the painting in the same positions as the female and male shown in the painting (females on the left and males on the right); where the male figure in the painting is the one wearing wings. I thought that was interesting and could be another interesting metaphor, especially considering this theory.

little pea🐰 on Twitter
    “Soooo Jae Eon did see her before, right there at the gallery. <3 #NeverthelessEp8 #Nevertheless”
    twitter.com

5. The cinematography of this show continues to be exceptional and I'm loving every second of it. From how certain scenes are framed, to the differences in how certain scenes are filmed (eg. still camera versus a shaky camera (used to make the viewer feel the uneasiness/discomfort of a scene). A lot of the cinematography is so artistic and I'm loving it!

An example from the latest episode, as discussed on Twitter:

ᴋɪʀᴀɴɪɴɢ❧ on Twitter
    “#Nevertheless The two sit side by side, our visual distance from them emphasises the emotional distance they have with each other. The camera is static,…
    twitter.com

ᴋɪʀᴀɴɪɴɢ❧ on Twitter
    “We are slowly released from the sonic grip. The bar’s music had been low to heighten the emotional intensity in this scene, but at this moment it returns to…
    twitter.com

ᴋɪʀᴀɴɪɴɢ❧ on Twitter
    “#Nevertheless Yet the camera pushes in one last time, quicker than before, heightening the tension. The pair’s literal face-off here, setting up the face-off…
    twitter.com

This, I thought was genius and so on point:

ًashi’s cryin again on Twitter
    “the way jaeeon's reflection in the shattered mirror depicts his current emotional state 💔 #NeverthelessEp9 #Nevertheless”
    twitter.com

6. The OST continues to be exceptional!

I also enjoy that the fact that the song 'Love Me Like That' by Sam Kim seems to be a representation of Jae-eon's POV based on the lyrics:

'I'm fragile and fractured, that’s for sure'

'I burned myself down to the ground' - Episode 9 ????? or Jae-eon making small changes in his personality over the course of the show.

'You see the world in colours, I feel it black and white'

'Paint me a picture out of the lines that I live in all of the time'

'Keep my heart from building walls, So high you can’t get through'

'Sunshine left today, Got caught in the rain all alone, Can you come and pick me up from my blues? Or am I late to ask you? Love me soft and tender' - Episode 9 and 10???

샘김 (Sam Kim) - Love Me Like That (알고있지만, OST) [Music Video]
    샘김 (Sam Kim) 가창 JTBC 토요스페셜 ‘알고있지만,’ OST Part.6 발매동명의 인기 웹툰을 원작으로 한 JTBC 화제의 드라마 ‘알고있지만,’의 여섯 번째 OST가 공개된다.샘김이 참여한 ‘알고있지만,’의 여섯 번째 OST ‘Love Me Like That’은 서정...
    www.youtube.com

7. I thought these comments on Reddit were very interesting and good perspectives, especially the last one (link D):

A. https://www.reddit.com/r/KDRAM…sode_9/h983sqd/?context=3

(I remember watching this scene and wondering why they spent a few seconds focusing on this random guy. I brushed it off, but come to find out later on... :))

B. https://www.reddit.com/r/KDRAM…sode_9/h98blw3/?context=3

C. https://www.reddit.com/r/KDRAM…sode_9/h95ezfe/?context=3

D. https://www.reddit.com/r/KDRAM…sode_9/h95zbbj/?context=3

8. The last thing I want to discuss is how I think it would be interesting to use Jae-eon's metal sculpture of the butterfly in the finale. I haven't seen anyone discuss this yet. I don't know if this will actually happen, but I thought of this while thinking about how the show could end, and I personally thought that it could be a clever thing to incorporate into the story.

We know Jaeo-eon's metal sculpture is a female with wings, meant to represent a butterfly, and we know that he gets a lot of inspiration from Nabi (e.g. the sun-catcher, the butterfly bracelet, how Nabi's second assistant told Nabi in episode 9 that Jae-eon is doing glass projects because of her piece). I think the sculpture literally is a representation of Na-bi in some form (possibly breaking away to happiness/freedom instead of sitting in the pain and ugliness of happiness that butterflies supposedly represent, as Jae-eon stated in Episode 6?... and also recall that Jae-eon was there in Episode 1 when he first saw Na-bi at the art exhibition and she was tearing up over what her ex did, so maybe that helped inspire the sculpture as well?). Nevertheless, let's assume she once again inspired him.

Here is the finale preview: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_V_6lSSGlGs

In the finale preview, we see/hear that Na-bi is finally coming to terms and accepting what she feels for Jae-eon and she is not running away from it. In the preview, we also see a quick, wide shot of Na-bi walking through an exhibition with Do-Hyeok (31 second mark in the preview). We also see that Jae-eon is there (34 second mark in the preview). So, here is what I came up with:

Wouldn't it be interesting, if at the exhibition, not only are Nabi's sculptures there, but so is Jae-eon's metal butterfly sculpture, and what if the description of the piece said something along the lines of "Nabi. I loved her from the moment I first saw her, but she was always drifting away from me, and I had to let her go and set her free." And what if Nabi sees this and finally realizes Jae-eon's feelings for her and what he has been trying to express to her over the second half of the show (recall that one of Jae-eon's love languages is definitely gift-giving as he showed via her birthday present, the sun-catcher, the butterfly bracelet, and that is why he was disappointed when Na-bi did not give him one)? Wouldn't that be a super interesting way to incorporate Jae-eon's sculpture into the story?! This idea could possibly work, since the preview also shows Nabi crying and Jae-eon talking to her at what seems to be the exhibit (34-35 second marks in the preview). Anyway, that was my random thought and idea.

9. I enjoyed all the details of this drama, and the show in general, how realistic it is, etc, and I am sad that it is ending. I hope that we get a season 2.

That is all. Thanks for reading this long post.

ᴋɪʀᴀɴɪɴɢ❧ on Twitter
    “#Nevertheless NB tries to hide her wound, and tell him it doesn't concern him, but he asks “It hurts, right?” This is the framing of the scene - conveying and…
    twitter.com

(Keep scrolling down to read all of the analysis).

As you all know, I'm loving Nevertheless and how realistic it is, and how proper and honest communication is key for success.
    Therefore, I want to share the link above. This person on twitter has excellent analysis of the meaning behind each episode every week and I wanted to share this one, especially since half of the ending scene from episode 7 has errors and is actually mistranslated on Netflix.

Honestly, if you have to explain to the viewers the "why's" about the acting, it isn't good acting.

For me, it's actually about wanting to have a discussion about the show, and to read people's opinions and their reasoning behind said opinion. So in this case, the message behind the show, the characters and their personalities, and how that is being conveyed on screen.

Side note, I also forgot to mention in my original post that I absolutely LOVE how this show is filmed. So many of the scenes are so artistic with respect to the cinematography!

Personally, I'm surprised so many people say they are disappointed with this show. I think this show is well done: a realistic depiction of a not-so-healthy relationship in your 20s/young adulthood due to a lack of communication and unhealthy habits, where you discover what you want, need, and deserve from a relationship, and you learn what you need to do to be able to healthily communicate that to others, and how to give that back to someone else, as well.

I think this drama actually shines thanks to all its small nuances and details. It actually somewhat reminded me of Mad Men in the sense, that, there are no huge over-the-top scenes in it's storytelling, but still, it effectively communicates the message via the small details.
    I enjoy that it is not over-acted like some parts of other k-dramas, especially since it would not fit the theme and message of the story.

With respect to the characters, both are "damaged" characters with respect to how they approach relationships based on their upbringing and past experiences.

Han So Hee's character, Na-bi, has decent emotional intelligence, but she is a horrible communicator. She jumps to assumptions and she constantly does not honestly communicate to Song Kang's character, Jae-on, what she really wants/needs from their relationship, as it evolves...no wonder she has constant anxiety.

On the other hand, Song Kang's character, Jae-on, is a somewhat better verbal communicator; initially, he clearly communicated that he did not want a monogamous relationship (unfortunately due to an unhealthy outlook on relationships, likely based on his upbringing and past experiences) and in episode 6, he even advised Kyu-hyun to honestly communicate what he was thinking to Bit-Na and he also tried to get a hold of Na-bi multiple times to try and hash things out with her in that episode, as well. However, unfortunately, his character is emotionally stunted, emotionally cold/flat, and lacking in the sense that he doesn't realize his playboy ways and fear of being vulnerable due to a fear of getting hurt, is actually causing him more harm; and he didn't realize/it took him a while to realize that he is developing/has developed feelings for Na-bi and that he actually enjoys the connection and stability that this relationship provides (or at least, that is how it seems to me at the moment).

For example, I enjoy how Song Kang portrays Jae-on's emotional "flatness" or "wall" (since that is the character) and then in episode 4, we see how Jae-on is happy around Na-bi and enjoys even small, mundane things like doing dishes and laundry with her; that stability and normalcy is clearly something that is valuable to Jae-on, and although he won't admit it, he is starting to develop more feelings and wants to spend more and more time with her; like when he asks her to go to the art exhibit with him on the weekend and he is disappointed when she declines.

I very much enjoy how Song Kang acted this out, noting small nuances in his facial expression throughout the first few episodes, especially how he communicates with his eyes, in particular. Two examples that come to mind are: First, in episode 4, when he surprises Nabi at school by the garbage disposal (~1:07:45 mark), his character is happy and beaming to see Nabi, but when she aggressively pulls her hands away, you note the quick and subtle change in Jae-on's expression, yet, he does not let on that he can sense something is not right, that it makes him uncomfortable, and that he was hurt by Na-bi's unexpected reaction, since he thought things between them were okay. Second, I enjoyed in episode 5, when they're having the big talk, his character can tell that Na-bi is pulling away. You can see the fear and desperation build on his face of not wanting to lose her (even though Jae-on hasn't realized/acknowledged his feelings yet), and then when Na-bi says something like 'Thanks for giving me a reason to finally end this', you can see how his face immediately switches from bigger eyes and and expression of desperation/fear to more coldness with a cold and blank stare and he replies with something along the lines of 'Fine, you get to decide this'; the wall is brought way back up again as a defense mechanism, and I thought it was acted out well.

So overall, I think the drama is well done, both actors are doing a good job in portraying their characters , and even though I never read the webtoon, I look forward to see how the story progresses now that the storyline has deviated from the webtoon. I hope for ongoing character development. :)

EDIT: Also, the OST for this drama is wonderful. *chef's kiss*

I’m happy you enjoyed their album! This was my first comeback as a Moa so it’s my first purchase too, except it’s my first physical album I got.

Nice! I hope you're enjoying it, as well!

I previously never really listened to them. In the past, I only briefly listened to some of their title songs to see what they were up to. I enjoyed songs like Run Away and Blue Hour, but nothing really ever caught my attention until I heard Lovesong. I fell in love with this song and the remix.
    I did a little bit of research and saw that the album was getting great reviews, both on this forum by their fans and by music critics. :)

NME: https://www.nme.com/reviews/al…ter-freeze-review-2954990
    Metacritic (super high score from them!): https://www.metacritic.com/mus…reeze/tomorrow-x-together

And now I'm vibing to the whole album. :) I think I might go back 2-3 albums into their back catalogue and see if there are other gems that I can find and add to my playlist, and I look forward to seeing what they do moving forward. :)

I also want to share this 'The Kulture Study' analysis from Form of Therapy about the song. It's a fun watch. TLDR: the song is a 10/10 and we will look back on this moment as a major turning point for them.

It is one of the few good bg song this year. I also really liked it.

Facts.

I've been enjoying this version of the song this week.

I also bought their latest album on iTunes (first-time TXT purchase); I like it and I've been vibing to it while doing housework. :)

Those are both excellent performances. I really enjoyed them. Thanks so much for sharing!