Why did dance become priority in Kpop and not the vocals?

Approved the thread.
  • Like nobody will see you dance on spotify

dance is more impressive to the average eye and bad vocals can be hidden w autotune/stolen vocals where bad dancing is very easily seen. Also main dancers are more popular than main vocals in general. Also good music production can hide weaker vocals. It's also very expensive to pay for vocal training, in 1st gen they recruited main vocals from choirs and stuff who were already trained. 2nd gen I think vocals mattered a lot more in kpop groups where most of the group should have been able to sing instead of only 1-2. Then in 3rd gen and now to 4th with the dance trend.

• mm I think groups can get by with passable or okay vocals. And if the vocals aren't up to par, it doesn't matter since you can mask it with lipsync.

Bad dancing however, that can't be masked.

• From 3rd gen onward tbh. Lack of vocal ability in majority of groups meant it’s better to focus on dancing.

• idk but I wish it would go back to being vocally focused. I'd rather hear a group with amazing vocals and simplified choreography.

But I guess there's no point since broadcasts now edit the hell out of "live" vocals anyway.

• If Vocals actually mattered then Opera Singers would globally the biggest stars

• If Vocals really mattered then Spotify would be dominated by Classical Singers and A Capella Groups

• Then at least get some of the great dancers together in stead of mediocre dancers

• I guess it's more of a trend shift where hip-hop groups got popular in Kpop ex BAP then BTS where vocals are not the focus but dancing and rapping is. The most popular groups by far in 3rd gen are BTS and Blackpink and both are more hip-hop (mostly rap) focused.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!