Someone who dosn't speaks English?

• Tell me the most funny thing someone who dosn't speaks English told you about the English language

Basicly my grandma as I was 7 years old and we got a dog called "Bobby"

Grandma: "What name do you gave the dog?"

Me: "The animal shelter called him Bobby, we kept the name"

Grandma: "That is English for Police officer, so was your dog at the British police?"

Me: "Ah no grandma, and I don't think that they call their police officers in Britain "Bobby" I guess..."

Grandma: "I have no idea, but ask your aunt, she is married to someone from Britain"

*later*

Grandma: "Bobby is the Police in England right?"

Aunt: "They arn't..."

Grandma: "No no no... it's Bobby, like the new dog... you know"

Aunt: sights "Ok mom...I guess I can't dissagree with you"

Aunt's Scottish husband: "If you see it on a perspective that your mom was in London 20 years ago, she might be right at some point"

Rest of the entire family who knows English or is even fluently: "It's "Police Officer" goddamn!"

A.C.E | ATEEZ | DRIPPIN| MCND | NU'EST | ONF | SF9 | Stray Kids | TFN

• I mean... It was technically a slang term for police officers way back, same with the word peelers...

So she wasn't technically wrong lol

giphy.gif
    *Shawol* VK Lover

• I guess it wasn't about the English language specifically, but my grandma who never got to learn a second language, struggled with the concept of being able to understand a foreign language in general.

She was like "you can really hear German words when somebody speaks English to you?" I told her that "no, I hear English words but I know what the words mean".

She hesitated and thought about it for a moment before saying "So hearing English forms German sentences in your head?"

I tried to explain that, when you speak a second language well enough, there is no translating back and forth anymore, you understand and speak without having to think about it. She concluded that I was pulling her leg and didn't have a clue either.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!