Korean charting is much more important than spotify and youtube for non big4 girlgroups

• I was thinking of writing an opposite thread before. I find it surprising that K-pop reached a point where big groups don't need Korean popularity to survive because they have big sales worldwide.

But for small groups that don't have that, Korean popularity is the way to go. It's where they can easily promote and have offline (not now) events with fans to grow their fan base. Even online, it's much easier for them to read and talk to Korean fans.

• I agree, but mostly because these metrics often don't translate into a big fanbase to them like It does to boygroups or big company groups when they go viral internationally in streaming plataforms.

With a big fanbase they can sell huge amount of physicals, touring and also get brand/cf deals etc, but since they don't get one, It's better to go with the national charting route

Bankai: Minazuki

85e1d14897360f5af5426181e6b1e605126ab548.gifv

• I'd say charting in korea is way more important than Spotify and youtube even for big companies groups. You chart at #10 on melon and can get cfs and spots on national tv and media, which is way more relevant than having 100M views on youtube

Big4 boygroups are fine even without korean charts. Big4 groups always have large fandoms but these small company groups don't. I think the support system really makes the difference

`.¸,°.. EUNBI ..°,¸.´

bd244e5463f542b0458f07ca2f1ac31e381fb86a.gifv b14ebbb2cafd17a83af16ce034df00d7028a5940.gifv

• Big4 boygroups are fine even without korean charts. Big4 groups always have large fandoms but these small company groups don't. I think the support system really makes the difference

Yeah but they could do even better if they have the korean stats to back it up. With relevancy in korea they could get cfs and more important, solo careers, like winner members who don't have important numbers on YouTube or Spotify but thanks to doing well in korea, they all are rich and popular in their country

• Example - Everglow and weeekly had successful song on yt and spotify but that didn't help them much in the end. No momentum was gained either. Tho Everglow was doing well on spotify and youtube till ladida but a huge decline in these platforms since then especially spotify. Weeekly spotify and youtube career ended with afterschool unless they recover. Album sales also not that great.

Stayc on the other hand keeps on gaining fans and having better growth. Korean popularity giving them more opportunity in hime country + international fans also checking them out because of it. Good charting has always attracted international stans. They still don't have songs as big as the other two on those platforms but they are showing much more growth.

I remember some people saying the same thing when i made a thread on weeekly amd how afterschool had barely any effect on them in the long run

Weeekly sold 130,000 albums since their debut and their latest Holiday Party sold almost 50k. They've been posting ever increasing album sales with each comeback. Holiday Party in fact sold more than We Play, the album which birthed After School.

Compared to the other non-Produce related, non-Big 4, 4th generation girl groups, who came out around the same time 2020-2022, only STAYC is posting better album sales.

It's a fallacy to assume their fandom growth experienced a sudden dip post After School. If anything, they've been experiencing an upward growth trajectory, with their massive success with After School being an outlier.

After School was a freak occurrence, but it masked their slow and steady progression in fanbase size and album sales.

The Future of K-Pop

weekly-members-profile-mainpage.jpg

• It kinda makes sense.

I hardly see any kpop group being super popular WW while being a complete flop in Korea. It is always better to focus on domestic market during first few years before venture overseas. Even groups like Oh My Girls and StayC are getting more global popularity after they blew up in Korea.

• After School was a freak occurrence, but it masked their slow and steady progression in fanbase size and album sales.

Maybe i am calling off weeekly too fast. Let's see how they grow this comeback. Also they seem to be going thru a concept change. That can help or destroy

`.¸,°.. EUNBI ..°,¸.´

bd244e5463f542b0458f07ca2f1ac31e381fb86a.gifv b14ebbb2cafd17a83af16ce034df00d7028a5940.gifv

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!