Companies using ads for youtube, right or not?

• Nowadays many companies use ads for their groups' mvs. It's obvious when you see a video with 15M views having 100k likes. Personally, I don't mind it, it's not considered cheating, it's not unfair towards others so yeah.

The problem I have though is that music shows and charts count those views added by ads. I don't think it's fair because charts and music shows are supposed to reflect what people truly listen to and show interest in. Views gained by ads don't display that public interest and it's unfair that such acts win over others on music shows (as example) just because of some ads..

What do you think?

• Modern problems require modern solutions.

I think it's as fine as mass streaming (also unfair if you think that way).

Yeah mass streaming could also be considered that by people, depending on their point of view. Personally I don't think it's unfair because it's still actual people putting in effort and dedication to stream and support their faves' music

• ADs are fine, it's the new era of marketing. But music shows should use the numbers from YouTube Charts, not from the video counter. But then most K-pop MVs don't appear in the global charts for too long, so they would have to use the Korean charts.

• I agree It shouldn't count towards Music Shows/Charts. I mean, If EVERY act used ads, then It wouldn't be a problem. But then you have acts that use ads against the ones that don't use and It doesn't sound fair to me.

But I think ads are exactly more to give an advantage in Music Shows/Charts than a proper promotion, If we think. Because It's a instant boost that does not guarantee longevity and If the act will have engaged people to continue to stream their videos. Most K-pop videos with ads get 20-40M views in few days, than they just die in the plataform as soon as the ads are removed.

Bankai: Minazuki

85e1d14897360f5af5426181e6b1e605126ab548.gifv

• I agree It shouldn't count towards Music Shows/Charts. I mean, If EVERY act used ads, then It wouldn't be a problem. But then you have acts that use ads against the ones that don't use and It doesn't sound fair to me.

But I think ads are exactly more to give an advantage in Music Shows/Charts than a proper promotion, If we think. Because It's a instant boost that does not guarantee longevity and If the act will have engaged people to continue to stream their videos. Most K-pop videos with ads get 20-40M views in few days, than they just die in the plataform as soon as the ads are removed.

You are right. I honestly can't see any other reason as to why companies would spend literal money on some ads if it's not for charts and music shows. Which is something I don't really like because that way groups with organic views + high metrics actually get robbed off a win. It'd have been great if at least music shows stopped taking views added by ads into consideration

• On the music show things, many companies and fandoms use a lot of things such as mass streaming, voting, pass sharing, companies including streaming passes in albums, mass purchasing, etc.

The music show system isn't well developed at all when you think about it. I can't say discount YT views for example but at the same time ignore these other things.

Yeah that's what's considered fair is different to the different people. I would say that the perfect criteria would be judges + views + charts + sales but as you said those can be manipulated easy too through mass streaming,mass buying etc. I think it's just better because at least actual "humans" are doing it and putting in effort for their faves so it's somehow more justified to me

• It's literally the job if the company to promote their artists.

Also charts have never been about what people actually listen to. If it were radio airplay (which you have no control over) would never have been factored in.

• So this has me wondering: what is the "proper" ratio of views-to-likes for a K-pop music video?

There isn't really a criteria that every music video should fit into because it all depends on when the video was dropped, how many views it gained for what period of time and etc

But I can give you an example. If a group manages to crack 20M streams in two days after release, it would make sense for them to have at least 200K likes. One of the groups that came back recently has over 11M views and only 35k likes. The ratio should be at least 100K likes if they managed to get so many views in such a short time

• each music show has their own criteria as to what counts and what doesn't...

at the moment YT ads do count for all the music shows (correct me if I'm wrong) so therefore isn't your main issue OP with the the way music shows work and their criteria as oppose to ads per se?

• i don't mind, because its mainly promoting the song and group if anything...

BUT, i don't think its fair when those views go up against mvs without ads like Minazuki said :wellr:

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!