What kinda concepts are popular/have a more loyal fanbase amongst either male or female fans?

• ? 13

1. Sexy concept has a loyal fanbase of women (2) 15%
    2. Cute concept has a loyal fanbase of women. (0) 0%
    3. Girl crush concept has a loyal fanbase of women (11) 85%
    4. Girl crush concept has a loyal fanbase of men (0) 0%
    5. Cute concept has a loyal fanbase of men (9) 69%
    6. Sexy concept has a loyal fanbase of men (1) 8%

So I've divided it into ggs with 3 concepts. Cute, sexy and girlcrush. The fanbase into two genders. There can be a lot of overlap in this category so feel free to experiment.

Which one is more popular amongst each gender? Which one has the most loyal fans or will bring in steady profit from its fanbases in the long run ? Basically which one is more popular and which one will have a more loyal fanbase. I'll focus on the latter since that what most companies would want...

This thread was inspired by comments on those jubilee ranking attractiveness videos. Women who were confident and comfortable with themselves were ranked as less attractive in the comments whereas men who were outgoing and confident were ranked as more attractive. It's kinda sad but maybe I'm looking at the wrong demographic but I wondered if this is true for kpop aswell.

On one hand we have the theory that ggs with cuter concepts are liked by men and girl crush liked by women but we have ggs like ever glow who have a heavy girl crush concept and have a strong male fanbase and ggs like twice that had a mix of concepts that have a 50:50 split between their fans gender ratio. Then there are groups like rv and mamamoo that have mostly mixed concepts of cute and girl/woman crush but are mostly dominated by female fans. It's an interesting spectrum.

So what concept is needed to capture each genders interest? I thought I'd do one for bgs aswell if this one doesn't flop...

Desbundar

• Serendipity2000

Changed the title of the thread from “What kinda concepts are popular amongst male and female dominated fans?” to “What kinda concepts are popular/have a more loyal fanbase amongst either male or female fans?”.
  • I feel like cute ggs generally don't get a lot of long-term loyalty. Fans switch up on them quick whether for a newer gg or because they switch to a different concept. Theres a few cases like Twice where the fanbase survived well though but I wouldn't classify some of their early days as super cute either so who knows

True...now who are those visuals in your sig? :pepeflushed:

Desbundar

• I am not really surprised by this poll result. Confident women tend to be seen as more arrogant and pretentious than men especially if they praise themselves. That said, I think that you can look comfortable and confident while doing a cute concept whereas you can look uncomfortable while doing a sexy or girlcrush concept.

Groups with a girlcrush concept are generally more followed by women and groups with a sexy or cute concepts are generally more followed by men.

Some groups like Twice have an equal amount of female and male fans.

• Groups with a girlcrush concept are generally more followed by women and groups with a sexy or cute concepts are generally more followed by men.

That was my thought process too. As a very general rule of thumb -- not including exceptions like SNSD who have a giant fanbase of all genders -- girl crush typically flops with men and does really well with women, and while women can/do support sexy/cute, men tend to gravitate toward that just a smidge more.

And you're totally right that it really depends on the members and their comfort level with the concept. Just to pick on one of my faves, Dreamcatcher was ... serviceable at cute when they were Minx, but they ooze confidence as Dreamcatcher. There are other groups I can think of that had a concept change that one or more members are noticeably clunky with, and it just goes to show that the concept doesn't really matter so much as their ability to pull it off.

let's be friends

e9b8a6c6366aecb3faf71dcc6b4488775b109abb.gif

• True...now who are those visuals in your sig? :pepeflushed:

The left is Dino and the right is Hoshi, it's from this MV

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!