Gaon should lower the download certifications measure

• Certifications measurements are based on population and the size of the industry everywhere but Gaon.

The US has the biggest market and platinum is just 1M.. in korea it’s 2.5M which is ridiculous. With a population of just over 50M, the next highest certification is 5x. The fact that no one has gotten these certifications should tell them they’re to high.

Gaon digital certifications should be similar to their physical certifications

Platinum- 250k

2x platinum- 500k

3x platinum 750k

1Million - 1M

5Million - Diamond

They also should update older songs since they already have the fucking data, it’s not like they give out plaques so what’s the issue? Gaon lowkey made themselves irrelevant, they’re suppose to be the equivalent of billboard but people care more about melOn charts.

The fact that they also removed sales figures and don’t update older songs so now BTS older songs can’t be updated.. this fucks up BTS total global record sales. I know they’ve sould close to 20m digitals in korea alone.

• I disagree.

If a song can hit 2.5M NOW, it's a fucking smash and no one can say otherwise. Plus, Gaon changing their criteria after more than 11 years would make them look like fools.

Billboard/RIAA changed their certifications measurements before.

1M used to be gold

2M used to be platinum decades ago

And Spanish songs have even lower requirements for certifications

• The fact that they also removed sales figures and don’t update older songs so now BTS older songs can’t be updated.. this fucks up BTS total global record sales. I know they’ve sould close to 20m digitals in korea alone.

Oh they're already in the 30 million range.

Is he.....you know?

투모로우바이투게더 방탄
    레드벨벳엑소샤이니에이티즈

• But GAON certifications haven't been a thing since the beginning. They were introduced only in 2018 and are being given for the stats from there onwards.

Or did they use to give them before as well?

Songs released before 2018 that hit 2.5M were retroactively certified in their Observation Notes dropped last October.

Is he.....you know?

투모로우바이투게더 방탄
    레드벨벳엑소샤이니에이티즈

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!